Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Ipaq 2210 4way button not working
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Ipaq 2210 4way button not working

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fishy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 4:23 pm    Post subject: Ipaq 2210 4way button not working Reply with quote

for some reason the silver "navigation" button ont he centre of my ipaq 2210 doesn't work UP or RIGHT .... self diagnostic confirms this as a hardware issue ... i'm pretty sure it all worked before i installed the tomtom software though ... any ideas ?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds unrelated to me. If you want you can try a hard reset (but you'll lose all your settings). Maybe some quirk in the firmware that can be "resolved" that way.

What diagnostics software are you using?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt the two are linked, but you could go to Remove Programs on the Settings screen (System tab) and uninstall TomTom Navigator.

If that doesn't get your buttons working normally again, the only option is to hard reset, which will wipe your iPAQ clean - if you have iPAQ Backup or Sprite Backup take a backup before doing anything (including uninstalling TomTom Navigator). Then try the self test again.

HP will ask you to hard reset before offering warranty service, so you may as well try that before contacting them. Look in the manual for details of how to hard reset (which isn't the same as pressing the reset button) - unless someone can post the instructions for your model.

If the buttons don't come back to life after a hard reset, the only thing to do is contact HP for warranty service. They'll almost certainly ask you to pack the iPAQ up and send UPS to collect it. My 3970's speaker failed earlier this year, and it was back within a few days, though obviously there will probably be some delays at this time of year.

David
Fishy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm using the built in diagnostic self tester onthe ipaq.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is how HP would expect you to confirm the button problem. This, however, is not a usual state of affairs after installing TomTom Navigator, and several experienced users all think your iPAQ has suffered hardware failure.

Before offering warranty service, HP will ask you to hard reset and confirm, using the self-test application, that the problem is still there. It is possible, but unlikely, that something has happened to the machine to stop the buttons working that a hard reset will solve.

I know it's a pain to have to carry out a hard reset, but if you have iPAQ Backup (or, even better, Sprite Backup), it's pretty easy to get back to where you were before the hard reset. The machine will almost invariably come back hard reset anyway. Indeed, with the older machines with built-in batteries, HP prefer that you send them for service part way through the hard reset operation, before you wake the iPAQ up again before pushing the reset button or applying external power - that way, the battery is disconnected. That's the state that the machines were shipped new in.

It will become increasingly annoying to have the buttons out of use - and I would recommend you get the iPAQ in for service, though I can also understand you holding off on doing anything until the new year.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: