Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Grateful For Some Advice Please
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Grateful For Some Advice Please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbjroms
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Grateful For Some Advice Please Reply with quote

I am new to this forum and have browsed through a number of topics and threads trying to sort things out in my own mind.

I appreciate that everyone will have particular views, likes and dislikes about all the products. Also that the perefct system has yet to be produced. But I am finding it very difficult to differentiate between the different satnav models available.

Basically, I want a unit that I can use in my car and also the work's van. I want it to be reliable in terms of its mapping and directions but I am not too concerned about the 'bells and whistles. The only essential 'extra' is that I want the unit to be capable of navigating through France later this summer and want the full coverage rather than just major routes.

The TomTom GO710 seems to have what I need but also has a lot more 'extras'; I dislike the suggestion that TomTom's backup is very poor. The Garmin nuvi310 also seems to fit the bill but, once again, is is a 'sledgehammer to crack a nut'?

Grateful for some advice.

Chris (Hampshire)
fuel925
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will find that sat navs that come preinstalled with street level european mapping also come with lots of gimmicks, to justify the price you pay. If I were you, i'd get a solid, reliable little unit like the Garmin i3 for £99.99, then buy just the France street level mapping on a microsd card which I think is about £85.00. You are getting everything you need for well under £200, and this way you aren't paying for gimmicks you will never use. Use google to check for reviews of the Garmin i3, people raved and still are raving about it.
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shop around - the kit above will cost 185, but you can almost ceratinly get the rest of Europe for about the same. Look at some "end of life" units - they work but are missing the latest bells and whistles. Navman 510/20 or 550 are examples that are going cheap.

Consider the Navman 320 as a good little starter, althogh I don't know what maps it comes with and how much extrs cost.

I know the Navman range better than the others, I am not suggesting only look at Navman, what I say goes for the other brands - go for one of the older models thats been discounted. Be careful - the prices are falling so fast that 50% off an old model could still be more expensive than an equivilent new one.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: