Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which Is The Better Buy TTG 710 or 910 ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which Is The Better Buy TTG 710 or 910 ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Which Is The Better Buy TTG 710 or 910 ? Reply with quote

Over the past few days not only has the TTG 710 started to become more available the price of the 510 and 910 has begun to come down a bit.

With a bit of careful shopping the 510 can be had for somewhere around £310, the 710 £380 and the 910 £420.

The tech spec between the 510 and 710 is fairly clear and essentially you'd be paying £70 for the benefit of having street level european mapping. However although the technical difference between the 710 and 910 is more obvious the decision as to which one to go for is probably more complicated. For a difference of about £40 you'll get TTS and European and North American mapping and the 910 also uses a 20gb hard drive which isn't found in the 510/710.

Although I do want European maps I'm not at all interested in those for the US. I like the idea of TTS but don't need memory space for MP3's. Above all I do want reliability and have some doubts as to the longevity of a hard drive over a flash card. Has the TTG510 proved anymore reliable than the TTG910 and what's the experience been with the Tom Tom 700 which I understand also used a hard disk.

So given the criteria above and the fact that all three TTG models may still have problems with the notorious mount what might be the better buy, the 710 and 910 ?
nudda
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a search around, youll find most of your answers in detail.
I would go for the 710 not because its on flash or its cheaper but simply because the extra functions in 910 are useless (for me atleast) even though the main reason I bought it was for the mp3 player (which is the most useless thing on this planet). Save the cash and buy europe maps instead and your all set with the 710.
mrstella
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

910 all the way.

The £40 difference would easily be swallowed up when you need to get another SD card to fit all your pois extra voices and stuff on. Plus the TTS is a lot better than the standard voice that you would get with the 710.

Also you get the extras such as mp3 and picture viewer etc which some find usefull and some dont.
stustaff
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also the 910 from dixons is £415 with a couple of discount codes it can be reduced to about £380 or less
nudda
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok at that sort of difference in price, the 910 is the best choice then Smile
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a hard call. I thought i loved my 910, but in truth it is that i just can't be without it.
The unit is majorly flawed, we all have a toy we can't use fully, re; TMC, mp3, hands free, mount...... the list goes on.
I feel that as long as TomTom insist on rushing these products out just to shove them under the noses of the prawn sandwich brownnosers at Cebit then we will continue to have problems.
Maybe the brownnosers need to stand up to TomTom, and instead of blowing wind up their clackers, face them full on and tell them straight that their products are good , but are suffering from the "to market, too early" syndrome.
Then perhaps, at the end of the day, if WE the punters stopped buying them, then perhaps we would get a better product next time round.
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to those who've replied.

I have been doing a fair bit of digging around on internet sites/forums so am aware of most of the feature differences between the 710 and 910. However as yet I've not found too much discussion on the potential reliability issues of the 910 hard drive compared with the flashcards used in the 510/710.
Obviously as the TTG x10 series has only been available for just a few months it would be surprising to find problems this early hence my question regarding the 700. Are there some who are now having to have their hard disk replaced ?

For me reliability is a pretty important factor. I'd rather not shell out £400 on a GPS that within 3 years will need to be repaired/replaced.

Of course had the price difference between the 910 and 710 been £100+ or had they both used flashcards or hard drive the decision would be easy. The shrinking price difference does mean it's now a harder choice between the 710 and 910 and factors other than just features have to be taken into consideration.
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have also added that even with discount codes the cheapest available price of the TTG 910 I can find is around £425 (Dixons/The Link). Having just checked it appears their current web price is £434.99(+£9.99 p&p) and there are codes which can knock off £20 but as yet I've not found a way to buy it cheaper.

Obviously prices and discount codes can change almost daily so it's worth spending some time checking around. If anyone can get it cheaper let us know.
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, after a bit of ferreting around the best online price I've managed to find for a TTG910 is £394.99, which also includes p&p.

This is from Currys using the following discount codes:
CTT309704
CURRYS20300
PRFREEDEL

One advantage with Currys over Dixons or The Link is that if neccessary you can return an item for reasons other than being faulty to a Currys high st store for a full refund whereas the others will charge £7.99 for collection and return.
williaj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can get it down to £394.24 !

Use code - NHS192

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: