Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - "Speeding is OK as Long as You Don't Get Caught"
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

"Speeding is OK as Long as You Don't Get Caught"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you approve of speeding on public roads?
Yes, I unreservedly approve of speeding
2%
 2%  [ 4 ]
Yes, but only when I feel it's safe to do so
60%
 60%  [ 119 ]
I don't actually approve of speeding, but nevertheless I sometimes speed when in a hurry
25%
 25%  [ 50 ]
I don't approve of speeding and never consciously break the speed limit
12%
 12%  [ 24 ]
Total Votes : 197

Crad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neil01 wrote:

Perhaps if Crad had chosen a lower (but still high) speed, the point would have been better made.

I wasn’t really suggesting that travelling on an ‘open’ motorway at 180MPH would be advisable or safe, more that modern cars are capable of doing it.
thenudehamster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having just become eligible to post here, this might get complicated...

I'm getting on a bit now, but in my younger days, as with many young men, I thought I knew everything - including all the fuzzy math that 'proved' that speeding got you there enormously quicker. Experience, mostly twenty-odd years of it as an AA man allied to many years as an advance riding instructor for the old Star Rider scheme, has taught me the fallacy of my youthful ways. Generally, speeding is for more the benefit of the speeding driver's ego than to reduce journey times or improve traffic flow. Educating motorists to drive properly would do a heck of a lot more than speeding to improve traffic speeds.

Most speed limits are there for a damned good reason - the place they're applied is simply not safe to travel at a speed much more than about 10mph faster than the posted limit; conversely there are plenty of places (many of which confuse satnav systems) which ought to be restricted. Plenty of country lanes have a national limit of 60 mph, but anyone doing anything close to half that is seriously suicidal, or homicidal, or both. Just because your vehicle and you are physically able to do twice the speed limit does not make it safe to do so.

So far, fines apart, cameras have been shown to reduce the overall speed of traffic in areas they are installed. Is this a good thing? Certainly, if the number of speed-related accidents has dropped as well; if it hasn't, then the siting of the camera needs investigation; so does the posted speed limit.
Quite honestly, as a government minister put it on Top Gear, if you get fined because you got flashed by a Gatso or one of its brethren, you are the only one at fault. They publish the locations of all the fixed, and many temporary, cameras; they mark the roads as well; they put up signs to tell you where cameras may be, and to top it all they stick a reflective yellow panel on the damned thing. If you STILL don't take any notice, what does that say about your attention to the road?

As for revising speeds in certain areas, we're into a horse of an entirely different colour discussing that. It's generally accepted (and intimated by many police officers) that the 70 mph limit on motorways is honoured more in the breach than the observance, and you're unlikely to be pulled by a police patrol for less than about 85mph. A camera will get you at about 75 or so. Whose judgement is the better here?
Urban speeds are being revised downwards more than upwards, despite some evidence that many 30mph roads ought to be raised to 40. 20mph is becoming the norm, enforced by humps, bumps and chicanes as well as cameras, in many urban areas; in many cases these aren't really justified by the road or the traffic conditions, but they do make the locals feel safer....

Near schools I agree that the limit ought to be no more than 20 during times when children will be around. In the USA it's almost universal that if the crossing patrol or school zone lights are flashing then the limit is automatically reduced to 20mph - and fines are a lot heavier than the equivalent in this country. However, I also feel that one of the major contributors to dangerous situation around schools is the hordes of 'minivan moms' as they're known in many states, who park as close as they can possibly get to the school so that their poor pampered darlings don't have to walk more than four feet to the car. Ban parking within half a mile of schools; you'll achieve a couple of objectives straight away. Motorists who have to travel along the road will have a better chance of seeing the kids in the first place; the kids themselves might actually get some of that unaccustomed exercise we're always being told they're short of these days; and lurking paedophiles will stand out like a sore thumb!

As several posters have already remarked, judicious use a good satnav over a period will show you the difference between what you think you'll gain on a journey by speeding, and what you'll actually gain - and it ain't a fraction of what you think. However, the greater accuracy of speed calculation with satnav will also allow you to travel a tad quicker - but do you really gain anything significant other than a feeling of smug satisfaction that you're doing EXACTLY 70 on the M25 when all the others are stuck with 66.5? I doubt it - and if your advanced planning is that poor that you really need those extra thirty seven seconds on your journey, then learn to set your alarm five minutes earlier instead, and relax on the journey - you'll be a safer driver for it.

OK - while not exactly 'rant over' as it wasn't really a rant, I'll fold up my soapbox for a bit and see what dust I've managed to stir up.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crad wrote:
I quite frequently drive along a hill-side road with sheer drops and no barrier, if anything goes wrong I’m serious dead at 30MPH.

The point is that on a totally deserted motorway i.e. devoid of all other traffic there is little chance of things going wrong.

Hmm, if your tyre deflates rapidly at 30 MPH then you have a pretty good chance of stoping in a straight line without a problem. It isn't that likely to happen at a low speed when the tyre is under a minimal amount of stress though. At 180 MPH, the story is quite different, the tyre will disintergrate in a fraction of a second.

You must have seen race cars have a tyre fail at high speed? It isn't pretty. I don't know what you drive but unless you have a 6 point harness, roll cage and a crash helmet then you will be lucky to survive. That's if the G-forces alone of such a high speed crash don't kill you.

Don't get me wrong, you can drive at high speed if you like, just don't delude yourself into thinking that it's "safe" when it's not.
Crad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
Hmm, if your tyre deflates rapidly at 30 MPH then you have a pretty good chance of stoping in a straight line without a problem.

True, but at just 600mm away from a shear drop it might not be straight enough. It's simply chance.

Skippy wrote:
At 180 MPH, the story is quite different, the tyre will disintergrate in a fraction of a second.

Once again true, but firstly the chances of a blow-out on good undamaged tyres are extremely remote and there is no need to assume a car will loose direction unless something silly like heavy braking is performed. As for race drivers – these are drivers and vehicles on the edge of their performance, quite different to a straight line controlled run.

Skippy wrote:
Don't get me wrong, you can drive at high speed if you like, just don't delude yourself into thinking that it's "safe" when it's not.

Sadly I can’t drive at high speed if I like, because;

a) I can’t the motorway to myself.
b) It would not be fair on other road users.
c) It’s against the law.

The point is, if you drive (at any speed) you risk your own life and the lives of others. Speed is not necessarily the dangerous factor, it can be, but far too much emphasis is placed on it.
Coelacanth
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robbrady wrote:
Quote:
Just find an accident black spot, stick in a digital video camera

Slightly off topic maybe, but did I read somewhere that digital images (even digital video) are not fully allowable as evidence of speeding in court? It has to be good old fashioned film as digital media is to prone to tampering. Anyone know if that's true?

A bit late in replying now and I've noticed it's a little bit old, but the new equipment in the police cars I work with has gone to digital video. There is no longer a VHS recorder in the boot of the Volvo S60, it's a small PC that outputs video to a USB key disk.

Ooo, the technology we have. :D We'll have working roadside breath screening devices next, Laughing Out Loud.
cameron253
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm now 63 and have been driving since I was sixteen, first few years on motorcycles. Cars have improved a lot over the years, but sadly many drivers on the roads have not. Everyone appears to be in a hurry, and more aggressive with regard to fellow motorists. I do endevour to keep within speed limits, though I will admit to going up to 80mph on motorways when its safe to do so. It amazes me how many drivers fail to leave a reasonable distance between their own vehicle and the car in front, tailgating is by far the largest cause of accidents especially on motorways, in my book its imperative to always maintain what I call a safety bubble between mine and other vehicles.
It gives me more time to slow down or stop, and importantly it gives the nutter behind me time to safely stop too. However cautious one is, you will often get the idiot tailgating at excessive speed in the overtaking lane when suddenly he realises he cannot stop in time and realising he is going to hit the vehicle in front he will just swing out suddenly into the centre lane in an attempt to save is own skin often resulting in a colision with traffic in the other lanes who may have been driving properly.
I class these hiprocrits as total cowards, since they were following too close to stop in time, they should stay in their own lane and accept the inevitable smash they have caused rather than trying to avoid the smash by swerving into vehicles in the centre lane which often results in a even more serious accident.
Leaving a safe distance between your car and the vehicle in front is a priority, also annoying is the drivers who start looking for traffic coming round a island even when there is still a vehicle in front of them.
I never take my eyes off the car in front until I'm 100% sure he has driven off, I dont know why drivers do this, because they cant go anywhere. The number of accident caused by this stupid failing due to the driver in front starting to move off and then stops is very common, and a lot of drivers do it! Stupid.
In conclusion, we never stop learning, no one is perfect, but we can all endevour to try.
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with you cameron253
Tom59
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cameron253 wrote:
It amazes me how many drivers fail to leave a reasonable distance between their own vehicle and the car in front, tailgating is by far the largest cause of accidents especially on motorways, in my book its imperative to always maintain what I call a safety bubble between mine and other vehicles.

I always try to leave a "comfort zone" in front of me, however I only do it for the benefit of ignorant young pillocks who can fit into my gap AND they don't indicate when doing it. Grrrr

TT iPhone app
V 1.23 Map: Western and Central Europe 2 GB V 965.7286

TT iOS Go Mobile
V 1.1 Map: Western Europe 965.7248
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fairly simple and quick and dirty answer...

Some school areas STILL have a 30 limit. WRONG - even then driving inside the spped limit is TOO FAST for such areas at school times.

However, M74 past Elvanfoot and Lockerbie for just one such example... Speed limit, 70mph....

I drive a car with ABS, EFD, six air bags, Speed Variable PAS and god knows what other safety features on my car that weren't even DREAMED OF, when the National Speed Limit was set...

As a result I strongly believe that on SOME occasions, the current Speed Limits for roads DO NOT reflect the ability, safety, and stopping power of modern cars.

Now, that is offset with roads that are far BUSIER than when limits were set too, to be fair...

But on a Bank Holiday, evening time, driving down the M74, and all it's lovely, curving, rolling three and four lane glory, where I often can't see another car in front or behind me, are you REALLY telling me that 70 mph is the maximum SAFE speed for a car of my type and features.

Don't bother answering that specific question, as you'll NEVER convince me that when the roads like this are EMPTY, 70mph is the safe max speed.

No way.

So, getting back to the original albeit too generic, post title, "Speeding CAN be ok, as long as you don't get caught", IN CERTAIN specific cases...

As in certain specific cases, Current Speed Limits DO NOT reflect the safe Maximum Speed on roads.

Rest assured, the converse to this is that in some places, as I have already said, the limit is TOO HIGH.

Hope that gives a balanced and sensible answer to the debate.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No comments on speeding, BUT
thenudehamster wrote:
Quite honestly, as a government minister put it on Top Gear, if you get fined because you got flashed by a Gatso or one of its brethren, you are the only one at fault. They publish the locations of all the fixed, and many temporary, cameras; they mark the roads as well; they put up signs to tell you where cameras may be, and to top it all they stick a reflective yellow panel on the damned thing. If you STILL don't take any notice, what does that say about your attention to the road?

They publish the locations of all the fixed, and many temporary, cameras. Where?
Question
they mark the roads as well. Do they? Try spotting the road markings for some Truvelos
Sad
and to top it all they stick a reflective yellow panel on the damned thing. And hide mobiles in horse boxes and blue vans and advertise 'Stealth Cameras' by the roadside near Bourne. Right!

I would suggest that the 'Government Minister', as is usual for 'Government Ministers', is not telling the whole truth. In fact it surprises me that a 'Government Minister' of the present government has said anything that is anywhere near the truth however incomplete.
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Road and weather conditions should dictate what is a safe speed to do .
As an example 70 mph on a motorway in fog would be unacceptable but 80 mph on a dry day would be no problem
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I guess like the majority here, I will exceed the limit when I feel it safe to do so. 80mph on an uncongested motorway is fine, but in heavy rain, with HGV's in the two left lanes 'limited' to 56mph releasing masses of spray around them is not the place to be doing that sort of speed.

There are several schools on or very close to the main raod though our village and most people do slow down during the School's In, School's Out periods, but do 30 and more at night. Call it selfish if you like, but I drive that particular road at 30 or under at all time - hell, it's my village and I don't want any of the residents to be hurt by a car. What really hacks me off is those idiots who feel that it is thir god-given right to go at high speed along that road. It's funny, an Astra can be very wide sometimes.

I've had my License for 42 years and never had a stop for speeding, although I got pulled by a Traffic Car for doing 20 for a couple of miles near home. He wasn't best pleased when I advised him that the section of road I was on had been made a 20mph area 12 hours eralier. He didn't beleive me until I told him that the sign for it in the Westbound direction was obscured buy trees. I thought I had best not ask him why he hadn't seen the big white 20 in the bigger white circle that he must have driven over.

Most vehicle on the roads now have much better handling and braking systems and if the driver is concentrating, then there should be a reduced chance of any accidents, but as we all know 'Accidents Will Happen'. It's down to all road users, drivers, riders and those on foot to be aware of the conditions and thier surroundings at all time.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: