Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Everyone on Vacation?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Everyone on Vacation?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rubberman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: Everyone on Vacation? Reply with quote

As a long time viewer of this forum, I have to believe everyone must be out "testing" their GPS systems. The last post was July 20 so I expect to be hearing new gripes or accolades about CoPilot in short order. I'll check back soon to see if the "regulars" have returned or have just plain given up!

Regards,

Gary
bcapo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you should say that!

Used my copilot 6 yesterday in London. Have noticed that it seems to lag a bit when giving instructions. eg 20 yds past that important right hand turn it says turn right.
Also speed camera warnings on roads with no cameras. Speed camera warning as I drive into my drive! Definitely no camera in my drive or even near my drive. How are we meant to read the little yellow warnings that come up - so small.
Also noticed while experimenting a couple of weird routes chosen. One put an extra 18 miles on the route by going two sides round a triangle. Also a couple of other niggles - even though on the profile i have motorways set and no sideroads why does it send me through a busy town when I can hop on the motorway which adds 2 miles but cuts the time by about 30 minutes.
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean by the quietness of this forum - it really is rather dead.

I do not think that it is the lack of gripes with the software, just that most of the gripes have already been aired and people are no waiting for the next patch to see what has/has not been fixed, and if any additional problems/gripes have appeared.

Perhaps it is time for me to bite the bullet and list what I like/don't like, is broken/fixed etc. all in a single place to start a discussion rolling.

The only thing I would like to see in any thread of this type is that discussions about the routing/mapping & postcodes be kept separate from any other discussions as they tend to stifle any meaningful discussions about the application itself. Routing, and, mapping & Postcodes, are significant enough to have threads all of their own!

I did start a thread about tweaking CoPilot's profiles http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=41146&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 but I was a little disappointed that less than a handfull of useful profiles were posted - perhaps the summer will see more profiles posted, or, is it as I fear, that no-one has actually found any better profiles than those already listed.

As for bcapo's comment on the lag - I too have noticed that CoPilot is not as good as TomTom when it comes to reporting your current position while on the move, but every bit as good when stationary, which is exactly what you would expect due to a time lag problem.

As for the routing problems, it is always a good idea to follow the route you think should have been chosen at a sufficiently large scale to see if the mapping is preventing one of the turns to be made. (You will need 'Display Turn Restrictions' in the Map section of Options selecting to see them). If this is the case, they should be reported both to ALK and the map provider (Navteq in the UK).

I know of three such errors in or around Cheltenham, one of which results in a significant number of routing errors for me, however, it is sufficiently near my home on very familiar territory that I actually have a Favourite location recorded at the 'other side' of that error, and when I know that the route should go that way, I use the 'favourite' as a waypoint and ignore all instructions until I have passed it. The error does not affect me on my return journeys as all the turns into the road are correctly mapped.
GrimBeard
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quiet forums eh. Maybe people have just given up like me.

There are folks who paid £100 for a bug fix, oops sorry CP6, fixed a few bugs, introduced a few more.

There are folks that ALK keep ringing to offer a bug fix for £100, oops sorry CP6, like me. Not worth it, I can't even ascertain to what extent the maps are updated. I went into Halford's recently with a view to purchasing a real sat nav. The guy confidently told me the maps on a Garmin were bang up to date, didn't even have the new M50 motorway extension on around Dublin...... it's been open 18 months and apparently they use NavTech as well.

I'm still using CP5 with the road speed, ETA mod, works for me. I'll wait for the next bug fix, AKA CP7. Just my luck and ALK will say no to upgrade from 5 to 7 in which case it's hello to TomTom

GB

PS last contact I had with ALK, agent said Dave Burrows would ring me back, good job I didn't hold my breath isn't it..........................one dead Pirate.
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrimBeard

While I respect your decision that the improvements to v6 are not worth £100 to you, what are you basing your decision on?

I presume that you have had access to someone elses CP6, otherwise you would not have been able to make a valid judgement.

As a person who is very familiar with CP6 and was with CP5, I see very little in CP6 which is worse than in CP5, and very much which has improved - even more so with the latest patch.

You might turn around and say that the changes are only worth say £50 (or even less) to you, and that, I would accept; but I am suprised if you feel that there has been little more than just fixing a few bugs.
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrimBeard wrote:
There are folks who paid £100 for a bug fix, oops sorry CP6, fixed a few bugs, introduced a few more.

I have to agree with neil01. CP6 with the latest patch is definitely better than CP5.

If you don't think that it's worth the upgrade charge, fair enough. But, when comparing the two products, you seem to be talking from a position of ignorance if you haven't been using both.

The latest patch has fixed a lot of problems with the initial release of CP6, and no GPS navigation product appears to be faultless at the moment.

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
Seidio G2500 Amplified Vent Mount
CoPilot 6, GPS Tuner 4.2, Navio 3.01
BMW 330ci Sport
GrimBeard
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, you are both probably right, I haven't used CP6, CP5 works for me and can't bring myself to pay £100 for an upgrade that gets 50/50 good and bad press.

I am, I accept, a grumpy middle aged Yorkshire Pirate and £100 amounts to a lot of treasure, for me it's just another instance of "Rip off Britain".

Some of this is as a result of the frankly appalling responses I have had from ALK, neck and neck with TalkTalk at the moment they are among the worst companies I have ever dealt with. To some extent they don't deserve the £100 regardless of whether CP6 is an upgrade or a bug fix. Would you believe that one of the agents i spoke to didn't know, or wouldn't tell me, whom she worked for, the name of her Manager or the address to which i should write a formal complaint, very close to an offence under the business names act and a conversation Trading Standards were very interested in, which is probably, to this day, the reason Dave Burrows has still not contacted me despite promises by his agents. Too scared of a few home truths no doubt.

You are right in saying CP is no worse than any other SatNav, I know as I continually look at the news and reviews of the competitors. If i found a more reliable product I'd ditch CP like a shot and purchase, regardless of the cost another product.

I am you have to understand, a very dis-illusioned Pirate.

GB Crying or Very sad
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My reason for not posting recently is ill health and its knock-on effects. I have to add, however, that although I agree that CP 6 is significantly better than CP 5, I was in any case becoming frustrated by the lack of real progress on the problems that persist in Copilot. My enthusiasm might be revived if that changes – and my own circumstances improve so that I really need a navigator again.
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005
GrimBeard
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad

Sorry to hear 'bout that ponderous, hope you get better soon.

Smile GB
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimbeard

Thanks for your kind thoughts. I appreciate them

Paul
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005
Bohica
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr P!
Glad to have you back!,sorry to hear about you've no been well,hope you make a speedy recovery...........
When I'd not seen you about the forums,thought you'd been "Seen to" by ALK.........Kidnapped? or forced to do the European tour with nothing but CP6 to use.............(Laughing Out Loud)
Bohica
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr P!
Glad to have you back!,sorry to hear about you've no been well,hope you make a speedy recovery...........
When I'd not seen you about the forums,thought you'd been "Seen to" by ALK.........Kidnapped? or forced to do the European tour with nothing but CP6 to use.............(Laughing Out Loud)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: