Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom tom route options
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom tom route options
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Tom tom route options Reply with quote

I've had a play with the routeing options on my 700 over the last couple of days.

First attempt was using shortest route, and that was soon scrapped as it took me off every by-pass, and through the villages.

I then tried avoid motorways, and that took me on a scenic route, mostly on A roads, and always around the by-passes. A 1hr 40 journey using motorways, was estimated as a 2hr 15 journey, but I made up over 15 mins because I was driving (at 50mph on 60mph roads) faster than the 700 expected. What was interesting is that it took me through 2 rail bridges with height limits, and no way to turn around. One was 11ft, 6ins. Glad I wasn't driving a lorry.

On the motorway, however, with speed set at 70mph on the satnav, I couldn't keep up with the 700 expectation, and over 30 miles lost a couple of minutes. It looks like the planning speed for motorways is about 74mph. (could be 120kph)

Bottom line is you are likely to arrive earlier than originally estimated if your journey does not include motorways, but later than estimated if it does, especially if the traffic stops you cruising right on the limit.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swings and roundabouts. I usually find over a long journey involving a motorway stretch in the middle, it's remarkably close.

Where it really falls down is when I'm "5 minutes" away from work in the rush hour and I'm going to be 1/2 hour late! Laughing
CavesOfTQLT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom tom route options Reply with quote

TomDavison wrote:
It looks like the planning speed for motorways is about 74mph. (could be 120kph)

On the TomTom One if you plan a journey and then use the route demo function it shows you on the screen what speeds it thinks you'll be doing on all its chosen roads. I'm sure I did see it flag up a maximum of 74 when it was demoing a motorway section of a planned route.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom tom route options Reply with quote

TomDavison wrote:
It looks like the planning speed for motorways is about 74mph.
On Motorway and National Speed Limit Dual Carriageways TT uses 62mph to calculate.

On good 60mph roads it seems to use approx 52mph.

On back roads, even de-restricted, it seems to be about 27mph.

Problem is TT doesn't always know what sort of road it is, or what the actual road speed is supposed to be.8O

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Tom tom route options Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
TomDavison wrote:
It looks like the planning speed for motorways is about 74mph.
On Motorway and National Speed Limit Dual Carriageways TT uses 62mph to calculate.

8O

Didn't seem so to me. I joined the motorway and set cruise at 70mph indicated on the satnav. After 30 miles, my arrival time had extended by 2 mins. It seemed clear that the arrival was based on me driving faster than 70. If it had assumed 62mph, driving at 70 would have reduced my arrival time, not increased it.
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider also the inacuracy of your speedo, typically upto 10% understated.
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mullet wrote:

Edit: understated? I lost my way there.
Meaning to say the speedo reads higher than actual speed.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom tom route options Reply with quote

TomDavison wrote:
Didn't seem so to me. I joined the motorway and set cruise at 70mph indicated on the satnav. After 30 miles, my arrival time had extended by 2 mins. It seemed clear that the arrival was based on me driving faster than 70. If it had assumed 62mph, driving at 70 would have reduced my arrival time, not increased it.
I travelled from Birmingham to the other side of Glasgow and where possible the cruise was set for 62mph. Each time it was spot on.

Coming back using a different route, still mainly Motorway and A Dual Carriageway the results were the same.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
mmman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it almost spooky how close the original estimated time of journey, immediately after you input a route, is to the final result. Doesn't seem to matter if you're stuck in a half hour jam or sail straight through 8)

As for the speed display on the satnav, I like to use this to cruise past a Traffic car at a speedo reading of 80, knowing that it's actually more like 71/72 Laughing I guess the other drivers keeping up with me are either hoping that I'm the one to get pulled, or have TTs as well...

Incidentally, not all speedos are actually 10% over: Toyotas are a good 10%, Hondas are almost spot-on accurate, while Mercs are somewhere between. None is under the true speed.
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mullet wrote:

As I said in the post, I was cruising at 70 on the satnav. My speedo was indicating just over 75.
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmman wrote:
I find it almost spooky how close the original estimated time of journey, immediately after you input a route, is to the final result. Doesn't seem to matter if you're stuck in a half hour jam or sail straight through 8)

As for the speed display on the satnav, I like to use this to cruise past a Traffic car at a speedo reading of 80, knowing that it's actually more like 71/72 Laughing I guess the other drivers keeping up with me are either hoping that I'm the one to get pulled, or have TTs as well...

Incidentally, not all speedos are actually 10% over: Toyotas are a good 10%, Hondas are almost spot-on accurate, while Mercs are somewhere between. None is under the true speed.

That's because it's legal to be up to 10% over the true speed, but illegal if the speedo underreads by any amount. That way you can't blame instrument error for exceeding the limit. You speedo must have shown a reading greater than the limit if you are caught speeding.
theripper
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always been under the impression that the ETA function was dynamic, if you slow down the time increases and if you speed up it decreases and when you are 1 minute away from work it should be almost exact. :D
ColinS
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it uses fixed MPH as previously stated but will recalculate based on the distance remaining to your destination. It therefore will be more acurate the closer you get.
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seems to be a little confusion here, so hopefully, I can explain better.

Lets say that you plan a 60 mile journey, and tomtom assumes you are going to drive at 60mph. You set out at midday, so your arrival time is listed as 1pm. If you actually drive at 70mph, after half an hour, you will have covered 35 miles. Tom Tom still assumes you will drive the rest of the way at 60mph, so by now your arrival time should be 12.55. (25 miles remaining at 60mph)

If you had driven at 50mph, you would by now have covered 25 miles. Tom tom will assume you drive the remaining 35 miles at 60mph, so your arrival time will indicate 13.05

After 59 miles of your journey, at 70, it will now be 12.51 and you will get an arrival time of 12.52 (one mile to go at 60mph). If you had driven 59 miles at 50 mph, the time would now be 13.11, and your tomtom would show an arrival time of 13.12 (one mile to go at 60mph)

So the arrival time is refined throughout the journey, and gets more accurate the closer you are to your destination.

What we don't know, are the speeds that tomtom is using to calculate your eta. However, if you drive at a steady speed, and your eta doesn't change, you must be driving at the speed that the TT expects. If your arrival time gets earlier, you are driving faster than TT is planning, and if your time gets later, you are driving slower.

What I had pointed out is that with my speed at 70mph on the satnav, over a 30 mile distance, my ETA was extended by 2 minutes. So I was driving about 4mph slower than the TT had expected. This indicates that the TT assumes that on motorways I would be driving at about 74mph.
Texy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good explaination Tom, and this is the crucial point, as it doesn't involve anyone getting calculators out whilst driving Laughing :

[quote="TomDavison"]if you drive at a steady speed, and your eta doesn't change, you must be driving at the speed that the TT expects.quote]

Texy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: