Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS Newbie - Tom Tom, Navman or other for Ipaq 3970?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS Newbie - Tom Tom, Navman or other for Ipaq 3970?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Halfpiste
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmm Atomic Kitten...nice! Got my clip and mount from here:

http://www.handnav.co.uk/html/product.php?brand=In-Car%20Mount&category=ACCESSORIES#968529PROCLIP

It's car-specific so make sure you choose the right one. Think RIAA Technologies sell them too.

Colin
JB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All sorted!

Navman 3450, 512MB SD Card, Brodit ProClip and iPAQ Complete Solution mount ordered.

I'll blame you all if it's crap or doesn't work!! Wink

Have a great Christmas and thanks all.

Jules
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JB wrote:
I'm trying to find the Brodit mount you refer to as this is my only slight concern. It looks like the 3450 only comes with a windscreen mount which is not ideal for my car. I could do with mounting it on a vent somewhere. Are there other mounts around anyone knows which would do the job and come recommended?

Brodit do a variety of mounts for the Navman sleeve inc powered(active) and unpowered. The best mount is a no holes Pro-Clip mount available for most vehicles. See the full list at Brodit, I can thoroughly recommend them, they are superb mounts Smile
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rh wrote:
Dave, I have not suffered with this problem. I have a 256M SD card which I use to store audio (mp3 and wm) and video (mpeg). They all play without any problem.

I have always had problems with my 30mb MP3 files that I listen to encoded at 192bit. It might be more down to the size and encoding rate. Strange I don't get any problems with large chunky maps though, just MP3's of this size.
Blum
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also looking for similar. I have come down to Tomtom2 or Destinator3.
Destinator3 gets the best review and is available on ebay at £195 with wired GPS.
TT2 seems to have missing towns D3 has trouble with roundabouts.

BTW any body else notices that the Tomtom online demonstration goes the long way around? It goes Greek Street, L Old Compton St. L Charing Cross Rd. R Phoenix St. R Stacey St. R Shaftsbury Ave. L Charring Cross Rd.
What can be done is Greek Street L Shaftsbury Ave. R Charing Cross Rd

Believe a Licensed London Cab driver!
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just experimented with the route fragment you mention. I'm familiar with many bits of Central London, but not that one (there again, I don't have a Green Badge!).

It looks to be a glitch in the map data if what you say is right - Navigator doesn't seem to believe that the right turn into Charing Cross Road southbound from Shaftesbury Avenue eastbound is allowed. If you set what would just be that turn as a route, it'll go round the block somewhere to achieve it.

So far as missing towns goes, there are some issues with the place name data in TomTom Navigator 2. The data is organised along local government boundaries, which can mean certain places aren't listed as where you think they are, and that, coupled with the lack of support for full postcodes (not least because a full postcode database is a significant quantity of data) can make finding some places difficult.

There are also some outright errors - the easiest way to search for streets in London is to enter London, which comes up as London (City of London). Of course, that should mean you only get streets in the City, but you don't - you certainly can find streets in Westminster and Camden using that setting!

The roads are invariably there - sometimes repeatedly zooming into the map and placing the destination marker using the stylus is the easiest way to proceed. I haven't ever failed to find a location and had to resort to external means (like getting WGS84 coordinates from multimap.com) save for when I was trying to give the exact location of the car park at Donington Park to someone (the POI data was less than useful). Others have not been so fortunate.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: