Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - MIO C710
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

MIO C710
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheInspector
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried again to synchronise this morning. Now the message I am getting is 1. Logging on to database. 2. First Synchronisation Step. 3.Not Logged On - when I am in fact logged on. Just gets more frustrating. It's a nice piece of kit but when you get problems like this, it's annoying.
Peasemold
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sallyann wrote:

Peasemold - how did you see where to put the new voice file?

Sal
I wish I could recall. ATM I'm at work so I can't go through it again. I'll have another go tonight but ISTR I had to set the PC's bluetooth settings for file transfer, and I was then able to access the C510's file system. I assumed that the voice file would go in the "Voice" folder (where I spotted all the other voices), and I put it there.

One slight irritation I have noticed. I live in Kenilworth which is a town of 25,000 people, but the streets in Kenilworth are all designated as in Warwick (a town of 40,000 people 5 miles away). Not only that, despite setting Kenilworth as one of the "Cities" (A poor translation or a dreadful Americanism, where any settlement of more than 500 people seems to be called a "city"), whenever I put in an address it always shows Warwick as the default "City" and I have to change "cities".

Peasemold
lowie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peasemold any chance of a link to download the voices.

Thanks
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inspector --
I get four popup messages when doing an update:
-Logging on...
-First Sync Step...
-Uploading data...
-Sync is done...

Peasmold --
I would be very glad to see how you did it. I can't see the voices folder or any other, using either bluetooth or USB connection. Did you use Windows Explorer or some other program to browse the internal files once you were connected?

Sal
orzilla
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: MioMap 3 based on iGO software Reply with quote

Looks like MioMap is based on the iGO software...

http://www.yournav.com/content/review/180/C510E_Mio_takes_a_giant_step_ahead.html

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/iGo2006.php

So it would make sense that the iGO voices would work with Mio Map.
orzilla
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: Changing Voices Info... Reply with quote

Info on changing voices...

http://my.pdamill.com/viewtopic.php?t=1644&sid=9683bc7afb2fe9b25529bff7d7b29110

http://my.pdamill.com/igo/voices/
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Changing Voices Info... Reply with quote

Thanks orzilla, that's very interesting but until we can see inside the C710's flash there is no way of copying any new files across. I'm even wondering if the C510 has a different flash memory to the C710.

Sal
ianj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: viewing internal files Reply with quote

Added a new post http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=42973

now you can explore the entire unit!

Ian
ianj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: TMC Reply with quote

Hi,

On my C710 the TMC only seems to work with the external antenna plugged in despite it being advertised as "built-in". What do you all find? Is my built-in ariel U/S or does built in mean "in the box"?!

Cheers,

Ian
TheInspector
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now you can explore the entire unit!
Quote:

Thanks for that Ian but there is no way I am going to those lengths! The damage I could do would be frightening. Surely there's an easier way of adding stuff or exploring the Mio. If not, there damn well should be. I still can't add speed cameras. Makes me want to send it back, although it's a great device in all other respects.
Have emailed Mio but they don't seemed bothered about replying.
ianj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be. I suppose that if one really wants to add extra stuff the one should buy a PDA and add the navigation software (precisely the sort of system I have left behind).

Exploring through Bluetooth only gives access to the 2Gb flash disk on which the maps and map program is stored. There is an additional 64?Mb system memory which is loaded from a ROM image on hard reset and contains the WinCE operating system and contacts, bluetooth, mp3 and photo programs amongst others. Because the system loads up the Mio front screen first, the only applications that can be run are those started by the Mio screen buttons. That is why the unlock procedure tricks the MioMap button into running another program.

To be honest, if the MP3 player ran in the background properly and the contacts & contact sync were any good then I probably wouldn't have tried any of these things. If Mio update them any time soon then I'll just do a hard reset (on/off sw) and restore my backup of the flash drive.

Ian
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: TMC Reply with quote

ianj wrote:
Hi,

On my C710 the TMC only seems to work with the external antenna plugged in despite it being advertised as "built-in". What do you all find? Is my built-in ariel U/S or does built in mean "in the box"?!

Cheers,

Ian

Ian, I think there is a built-in aerial because I am using the TMC on mine without the external aerial, with the unit inside the windscreen of my Audi A3. But I'm sure like any radio receiver it will work better with a separate aerial. It will depend on how far you are from the FM transmitters, and how much signal gets into your car.

Thank you *very* much for the unlocking info. I'm going to read it thoroughly and have a go. Having paid for a WinCE licence with the unit I would like to be able to use all its facilities.

Sal
ianj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, others did most of the work though! I'm just playing with some other bits at the moment - if they work out I'll post here.

Ian
ravi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peasemold, I got the new UK girl voice to work (WooHoo!) but it keeps reverting back to GiJoe when you quit the application. Did you find any way round that?

Ravi
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ravi wrote:
Peasemold, I got the new UK girl voice to work (WooHoo!) but it keeps reverting back to GiJoe when you quit the application. Did you find any way round that?
Ravi

Ravi, if you can access the files inside the Mio, as I presume you can if you have copied across the girl's voice, can't you delete or rename GIJoe's voice file and give the girl's voice that file name?

Sal

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: