Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - HOLUX GR 236 WARNING FOR POTENTIAL BUYERS!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

HOLUX GR 236 WARNING FOR POTENTIAL BUYERS!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ItsMikeE
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read about the various issues on the forums before I bought my gpslim, about a month ago.
In order to be sure I got the current firmware I bought direct from Holux UK.
A few extra pounds, but I thought it was worth it for peace of mind.
No problems so far (famous last words).
meestermartinho
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: HOLUX GR 236 WARNING FOR POTENTIAL BUYERS!! Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure Holux-UK are not the manufacturer.

oznav wrote:

I can answer this question by stating that you would have been pursuing the manufacturer for the DUD product they unleashed through whatever channels on the market.

Cheers
Oznav
Sema_4
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:04 am    Post subject: HOLUX GR 236 - IS A GREAT GPS UNIT Reply with quote

I guess it's just a fact of life that some times things don't work as designed or intended, just ask Sony about the copy protection system they put on their audio CD's and the damage it went on to cause to home computers... oops...

Its a shame that in it's early version, this some of these units had a problem that required a firware update to fix, because in my experience this is a fine unit and I would recommend it to anyone.

In my opinion, the very fact this unit can be upgraded by firmware is one of it's best features, a lot of other devices on the market can not be updated meaning you have to buy a whole new unit to update it, it's one of the reasons I bought this model.

I truly understand the authors dissapointment and frustration caused by getting a faulty unit, but if you were considering one of these before you read this post, and in the interests of 'balance' and 'fairness', I am obliged to report that I have owned one of these HOLUX units for a couple of months and it works perfectly. It's very accurate, it has no trouble with getting a first fix, the battery life is great and it connects to my PDA via bluetooth without an issue.
eillo7
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, have a 236 unit and am very pleased indeed with its performance, quality and battery life.

I think this thread actually shows what a GOOD company Holux is - rather than simply ignore a customer in trouble, Julie has taken the time and effort to help out which is something very few companies would bother to do (and it isn't the only time Julie has provided assistance in these forums either).

So Holux is not perfect - they launched a bit of a duff product. But they corrected their error with a firmware upgrade and offer free upgrades to those affected by the original error. What more do people want?

The 236 really is a good unit, and Holux really does seem to be a company that cares about its customers IMO.

HOORAY FOR HOLUX! Laughing
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eillo7 wrote:
So Holux is not perfect - they launched a bit of a duff product. But they corrected their error with a firmware upgrade and offer free upgrades to those affected by the original error. What more do people want?

I think Holux should make the firmware upgrade freely available to all Holux owners. My understanding is that at present they don't do that.
oznav
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:28 am    Post subject: HOLUX GR 236 WARNING FOR POTENTIAL BUYERS!! Reply with quote

Well it's good to see you have received the firmware update. As the initiator of the post, I am still waiting on a link to the ftp site after Holux advised that these details would be sent. Seems like they may way too busy trying to rectify the numerous problems many other people have experienced with the dud GR 236.

Caveat Emptor
and let the buyer use such forums to warn others.

When will I be receiving the firmware update?

Oznav
PC_Arcade
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's unfortunate that a seemingly good product is ruined by Holux's reluctance to distribute the fix.

I would also like the firmware upgrade, if holux are unable / unwilling to let its customers have it, then perhaps we should share it amongst ourselves.

If anyone could let me have the firmware, I would be very grateful (and finally be able to actually use my GPS device Laughing )
JM-HoluxUK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am quite happy to supply the firmware upgrade to anyone that bothers to come & ask for it - if you read my postings all I ask is that you PM me with your serial number & email address.

Regards,
Julie

By the way - Patience is a virtue!
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JM-HoluxUK wrote:
I am quite happy to supply the firmware upgrade to anyone that bothers to come & ask for it - if you read my postings all I ask is that you PM me with your serial number & email address...

I think this is a situation where 'you can't say fairer than that' applies.
PC_Arcade
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JM-HoluxUK wrote:
I am quite happy to supply the firmware upgrade to anyone that bothers to come & ask for it - if you read my postings all I ask is that you PM me with your serial number & email address.

Regards,
Julie

By the way - Patience is a virtue!

It is indeed, luckily I found this forum though or else it would never have worked correctly.

I have got the login details now, thanks Julie Smile
JM-HoluxUK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please visit:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=42774

Regards,
Julie
eillo7
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All credit to you and Holux UK, Julie! :D

This is yet more proof (if it were needed) that Holux is up with the best of companies when it comes to answering customers and critics.
miroha1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eillo7 wrote:
All credit to you and Holux UK, Julie! :D

This is yet more proof (if it were needed) that Holux is up with the best of companies when it comes to answering customers and critics.

I fully agree!!!
Julie shows an outstanding example of customer care.

Coming back to the original topic I woul add that after the software upgrade I have no problems with my GPSlim. At this time I WILL RECOMMEND TO BY HOLUX 236 to anybody, but I'd also strongly suggest to by this device from trusted source ( Holux UK for example).
Mrsash
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I am confused. What do you guys mean by grey market? I have a holux 236-6XXXX does this mean I have a dud? If I have the current version firmware what do I do to fix the problem where it takes upto 5 minutes to get a fix. It seems I am reading a lot of stuff but the solution from Holux. Please enlighten me
thanks
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

by grey market we mean that the units are not supplied to through the offcial uk distributor in this case holux uk it means that the units are imported in to the uk by ebay sellers in the main who are selling worldwide . if you bought from on of these sellers then that means that should you have any warrenty problems you would have to contact the company that supplied you with the unit or you would have to contact holux in tiawan

hope that helps a little

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: