Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GR-230 Bluetooth GPS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GR-230 Bluetooth GPS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RBloxam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 5:26 pm    Post subject: GR-230 Bluetooth GPS Reply with quote

Have used this device for a couple of weeks now. I am new to GPS devices and have been very impressed with its accuracy and integration with TomTom and the h2210. The GR-230 is very small and has plenty of battery life, it typically locks onto bewteen 5 and 10 satelites even in built up areas.

Unfortunately the link between the pda and GR-230 keeps stopping while in TomTom navigator view (typically every 10 / 20 minutes) very annoying!!! The link is fine in gps status view. I can re-establish the link via the pda without turning the receiver off and on.

I have updated the bluetooth version to the latest available on HP web site, and have disabled all other bluetooth device connections on the pda. I have also placed the reciever in various locations in the car to rule out interference.

Has anybody else noticed the same problem or found a cure for this?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had the link drop a couple of times at a start of a journey but after reconnecting it, it worked fine after this. I tend to get this with most GPS Receivers, it depends on what's happening processor wise on the iPAQ because the first thing to be killed is the Bluetooth stack if there's not enough processing power available.

I have heard that the latest Bluetooth patch from HP had fixed this but haven't tried it myself. Another thing that can be the cause of this is low power on the GPS.

Which baud rate are you running it as ?
RBloxam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, thanks for taking the time to reply.

The latest bluetooth fix from HP does not make any difference to the stability of the link, I have tried both and in both versions the link drops for no apparent reason. The latest bluetooth version does of course fix the known lockup issue when powering off the pda.

Following your suggestion that the stability of the blootooth link is processor dependent, I have tried running TomTom with minimum settings and no POI's, this seems to improve the situation considerably but does not eliminate the link dropping altogether.

For your information low power on the GPS is not the cause, and I am running it at 9600 (the default baud rate). I dont think I can change it without a data cable.

I have been in touch with Holux about the problem, they have been most helpful but say they have not heard of my particular problem.
goepf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a a connection quesiton. I use the GR-230 with a Palm TT and I'm having some connection problems as well. Especially if I close a program (Mapopolis, Pathaway) while beeing connected to the GPS. To restart the program I have to turn off-on the GPS. Even worse if I turn off the Palm while beeing connected. Then I have to reset the Palm and turn off-on the GPS before I'm able to reconnect.

Are you having any similar issues on PPC??

Thanks for a feed-back (because Holux is telling me that this is normal...)
RBloxam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any lockup issues relating to turning off applications while connected to the GPS. There is a lockup issue with an ealier bluetooth driver for the h2210 pocket pc. This problem manifests itself by locking the pda if turned off while bluetooth link is established, the only way to start the pda again is to soft reset. The latest driver for PPC fixes this.

I am now sure that loss of bluetooth connection occurs when the processor is busy, I have achieved a much more stable link by closing all tasks before starting the link and then only opening the applications that are needed for navigation. Holux have acknowledged that busy processor is the cause of the problem and have advised use of NMEA 9600 protacol (selected via gps status application provided with TTN2).

Holux have been very helpful and I can now say that I am satisfied with the GR-230 and the stability of the link. It does drop occasionnally but only once in every couple of hours of operation.

Hope this helps.............
goepf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@RBloxam

thanks. does that means that you can even turn the PPC off and on again and you don't have to close, restart application and whatever? This would be especially useful while hiking (because I don't need the map all the time and can save that power...)

Thanks again
RBloxam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I have to re-establish the link if I turn off the PDA. Fortunately the h2210 has a great battery and runs for 4 hours or so, therefore I do not need to keep turning the pda on and off while out walking. The GR-230 will easily run for 8 hours on one charge.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: