Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nokia N70 tomtom mobile 5 problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nokia N70 tomtom mobile 5 problem
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J_i_m_s_t_e_r
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, meant to paste the text too (I can't edit my own post?):

"Originally Posted by Nibbz
Dont know if this has already been mentioned regarding TomTom loosing bluetooth connection.
It seems TomTom manages its own paired bluetooth devices and in some cases will conflict with those devices already paired by the phones manager.
The best way to pair bluetooth devices when using TomTom to prevent loss of connectivity when using Nokia N70 is:

Delete all bluetooth devices in the phones connectivity manager. Start TomTom.
Use TomTom's manager to pair the device.
Exit TomTom.
Open the phones connectivity manager and you may see the GPS device listed.
Delete this device again.
Start TomTom and you will notice that the GPS device still exists. Pair this device and TomTom should work fine, no disconnections.
***You must delete the device after pairing for the first time in the phones default connectivity manager***
Obviously if the device exists in 2 seperate connectivity tables, there must be either a conflict or a problem sharing the device.

Try this and let me know if you have any joy.
I used to get disconnected every 10-15 minutes. Since doing this, no more loss of connectivity.

Nibbz "
colin4255
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom connectivity to N70 Reply with quote

I have had the same problems and thought I had solved my problems. Here's all the answers in one place.

1. Before you do anything else, get your N70 firmare updated to version 3.0546.2.3 (you can do this at ny Nokia services centre, or call your netwrok provider- TomTom state that the N70 using this firmware version should work)

2.As per other posts, you should NOT let the Nokia N70 pair your bluetooth GPS device. You should let TomTom do it. Here's how I did this:-

1. Delete all current bluetooth pairings on your phone Go to Bluetooth?Paired devices then options then select "delete all".

2. Now re-boot your phone (this is crucial as unless you do this, the N70 will 'remember' all previous paired devices and ask you to pair it again when you next switch on the receiver! Once you've re-booted the phone the N70 loses all this data after you have deleted all pairings)

3. Switch on your GPS receiver

4. Go into tomtom, select Change preferences, then go to "Show GPS Status", select "Configure" then if you use a non TT receiver, select other and let TT search for and pair the device. You may also get a message from TT asking you to let your smartphone or PDA pair the device, but ignore this and click continue. Once you can see the unit is connected, selct 'Done'

5. Now exit TT

6. Now go to Bluetooth then pairings. You may find the GPS device is listed there. If it is, delete it.

7. Now re-boot your phone again.

8. Now start totmotom, it may ask you do you want to accept connection from your bluetooth receiver, select yes. That should be it.

9. Now!! You should find the thing will work. But for those of you who still have problems, remove all your POI's, including speed cameradatabes pr pocket GPS speed camera POI's and you should be OK
nim1206
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: Firmware update Reply with quote

Can someone out there please help me.
My N70 is on 2.0... firmware
My 'local' nokia center place - Luton, wants to charge me £20!!! Did explain that it should be done free - but they will not have it! Evil or Very Mad
Heading towrds Coventry in the next few days - does anyone know of a 'GOOD' nokia center who will do this upgrade for me for free?
Thanks in advance.
yus786
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Firmware update Reply with quote

nim1206 wrote:
My 'local' nokia center place - Luton, wants to charge me £20!!! Did explain that it should be done free - but they will not have it! Evil or Very Mad
Heading towrds Coventry in the next few days - does anyone know of a 'GOOD' nokia center who will do this upgrade for me for free?
Thanks in advance.

You should not tell them you wish to upgrade as Tomtom is not working etc. As it's a 3rd party software - they dont care.

You should tell them something like the bluetooth is not receieving data etc and 'Nokia' have suggested a firmware upgrade under guarantee.

I took mine to the one in Bolton and mentioned Tomtom only to be told their will be a charge. Then i took it to Urmston and just said it doesn't work, blah blah blah - and 45 mins later have a V5.
Firebird
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is the nearest Nokia shops in the Runcorn / Widnes / Warrington area
Please anyone

p.s. for N70 upgrade
wrighty208
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firebird wrote:
Where is the nearest Nokia shops in the Runcorn / Widnes / Warrington area
Please anyone

p.s. for N70 upgrade

Enter your postcode here:-
http://www.nokia.co.uk/nokia/0,,77483,00.html

By the way, I've had the N70 for nearly 2 weeks now and come to the conclusion having any POI's on the memory card causes freeze's - I factory reset the phone, installed TomTom and it's worked 100% since (without the Speed Cameras) - as soon as I add speed camera's it freezes.

I'm using Nokia N70 with Firmware V5 but I think this is the same with version 2/3 also.
whiz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if someone has already written it (I don't want to read all the story).
I've got a Window Mobile 5 based Smartphone (SPV C600) and Nokia LD-3W (SirfStar III GPS Receiver) and it couldn't work with TT5 (5.20).
Interestingly enough there were absolutly no problems with MS Pocket Streets so I could see that all the hardware is working properly.
The only thing that helped was to set the name of GPS Receiver (during the pairing process) to "BT GPS" and it's working without any problems Smile
Maybe this is the solution for you. Of course you also have to set COM ports.
You can also try setting the name to "TomTom Wireless GPS".
J_i_m_s_t_e_r
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my N70 handsets back from MobileFunShop.co.uk with latest v5 firmware. GPS came in post yesterday. Setup TT to do the pairing as per the instructions above, all seems to be fine. Noticed a couple of things though...

When I check Bluetooth Pairings with the phone in the house, and Bluetooth switched off, there are none. Nothing to rename "TomTom GPS" etc. Doesn't seem to stop the phone picking up the GPS but should this be the case? My routine is to power GPS on first, wait 30 seconds until I've driven to the main road, then start TomTom. Does the pairing vanish if inactive? I didn't think this was the case.

Does the bluetooth gps (Mine is this one) have to be less than about 5 feet away from the phone to keep the integrity of the link? I had a few dropouts with the phone on my lap and the gps on the dash yesterday, but none this morning.

Also tried adding some Favourites to TomTom (5.2) and was wondering how to spell Joe Bloggs etc. with a capital J and B? Seems to be a bit hit and miss. Nothing in the manual I could find about entering capital letters. Not a big problem, but being a pedant, it looks a bit naff to me.

Any feedback appreciated.
J_i_m_s_t_e_r
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Answering the last one myself: The captial letter thing is a bug.
minty1084
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Firmware update Reply with quote

nim1206 wrote:
Thanks in advance.

I took mine into Luton nokia service centre and they were extremely helpful and did it for free. Obviously they will charge if its out of warranty.
Regards,
Dave
yus786
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Firmware update Reply with quote

minty1084 wrote:
nim1206 wrote:
Thanks in advance.

I took mine into Luton nokia service centre and they were extremely helpful and did it for free. Obviously they will charge if its out of warranty.
Regards,
Dave

I've mentioned this before - DO NOT tell them you wish to update the firmware for TT. It's a 3rd party s/w and they dont care. Just tell them your bluetooth is not working and nokia have suggested bringing it in. Suggest to them that it may require a firmware update.
ironman65
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: n70 Reply with quote

ive had the n70 flashed with the new firmware ive tried all the different pairing options and ive just started to realise that i have wasted my money if you want a sat program on your phone dont buy the nokia n70 good job i never sold my old 6600 ... does any one have a sat nav program working on there n70
rtj70
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I do have a reliable sat nav program on a Nokia N70. Like many it is TT5 Mobile. Unreliable until I got v3 firmware.

One thing I am pretty sure affects reliability is if I run TT to lookup something without connecting to the GPS receiver. Then next time I run TT with GPS receiver it will drop connection quickly.
soweezy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lucky you...

I've got V5 firmware and it still freezes, and yes, I've tried all the 'fixes' mentioned in this thread

if it wasn't just a case of pressing the hangup button then the media button to restart TT I'd have binned it by now... roll on Auguest so I can upgrade this cack phone

Garmin Zumo 390LM
boobles
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re Nokia N70 gps Problems

I have had my n70 for a couple of weeks now and like most people here have been banging my head against a brick wall trying to get TT5 working for longer than 10 minutes without loosing gps signal .. I have found that previous advice on Pairing to Help.. But The Most IMPORTANT thing is to run TT5 on your phone BEFORE you switch on the gps receiver..

When you initially turn on your receiver it spends around 10 seconds initialising the bluetooth connection, pairing with your phone..
this i have found creates a stable connection between the two devices
I have Had it working for a couple of hours now with no problems so remember...

Switch ON the GPS AFTER you have TT5 running on your Phone

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 21 of 25

Jump to: