Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - IC530 for £240 inc VAT & Delivery
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

IC530 for £240 inc VAT & Delivery

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andyjenkins
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:26 am    Post subject: IC530 for £240 inc VAT & Delivery Reply with quote

Not interested in the Navman IC530, but receieved the offer through Pipeline.

Offer is for a Navman IC530 from Navman themselves, for £240 including european maps, VAT and delivery.

Have to admit, I can't find it any cheaper in a quick search.

http://www.navmanstores.com/eu/product_details.php?id=372
Simon300
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've ordered an iCN530 last night after receiving the Pipeline offer.

The RRP is £299 (inc VAT) and this is a fairly common (e.g. Amazon) but you can find them for £275 (I may have seen one for a little less too but can't remember now!).

I have been dithering about Sat Nav for a long time so this gave me a good excuse to investigate again. The iCN530 is very new so there aren't many reviews or experiences yet, but if you look at the iCN520 you get a fair idea (albeit it has a less sensitive GPS receiver as far as I can tell).

The only other all-in-one that looked comparable and cheaper is the Tom Tom One at £218. The TT spec looks very similar plus it can get updates from your bluetooth phone (not sure what your phone co charges for that). I suspect they each have pros/cons and as a novice it's quite difficult to tell what's important. I quite like the idea of the Petrol/Parking buttons on the Navman though (having "driven on vapour" on more than one occassion!)

I figured that the Pipeline offer was a genuine saving so worth a try (otherwise I would probably still be dithering... Confused )

Sites like this one are a great help too - keep up the good work!

Simon
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the iCN530 have 7 Digit PostCode? I wouldn't consider a new system that didn't these days?
Simon300
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Does the iCN530 have 7 Digit PostCode? I wouldn't consider a new system that didn't these days?

I believe so - according to the only review I found (http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/review.php?reviewId=1526) and the Navman tech spec also says "Full postcode address search". I'll be a bit peeved otherwise...
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

Yes it does, Darren, although the Navman literature claims 8 digit! They count the space, apparently. Laughing

However, once the postcode is selected then you can't fine tune it to a house number.
Simon300
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:
However, once the postcode is selected then you can't fine tune it to a house number.

Can any of them do that? The last time I looked at the Royal Mail PAF file (about 1999) it had grid refs for individual postcodes, and a postcode would typically cover 5-10 premises/houses (strictly, delivery points). These could be quite far apart in rural areas though.

I suppose you could merge postcode data with other sources (like the OS gazzetteer?) but it sounds like a lot of data for a small device (presumably the maps take up most space).

Interesting stuff.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon300 wrote:
Can any of them do that?

TomTom does.
lowie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link andyjenkins. Ordered on Wednesday and delivered before 12 on Thursday all at the bargain price of £239. Like the unit as well. :D
Simon300
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered mine on Monday evening and it arrived this afternoon (I just used the "free" Standard delivery option rather than paying for Premium).

One good thing I noticed: although the iCN530 doesn't come with an AC adapter it does recharge via the USB cable when plugged into your computer.
lowie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also use any standard usb to mini cable to charge it so makes it nice and cheap for keeping a spare cable at work. Laughing
Stanley_Tweedle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have to be a pipeline member?
Simon300
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stanley_Tweedle wrote:
Do you have to be a pipeline member?

In theory, yes, and you have to give your email address when you pay for it.

Given that you're buying directly from Navman though, and the price is probably not far different from the wholesale price, the only people who lose would be the retailers who (might) have got your sale instead. Therefore it may not be worth Navman's trouble checking your membership (although of course they could upset the channel with this kind of promotion).

However, the Pipeline card is free to join (http://www.pipelinecard.org/) so you might as well sign up anyway.... and one day we might end up getting cheaper petrol as a result.

In my case the offer was enough of a prompt for me to buy my first Sat-Nav device at last and I'm very happy with my iCN530 so far.
lowie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't actually registered for the pipeline card but I still went ahead and ordered the iCN 530 which was promptly delivered the next day.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: