Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - So payings fine but what exactly do I get?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

So payings fine but what exactly do I get?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rob404932
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: So payings fine but what exactly do I get? Reply with quote

Hi
Just checked back to get an update for a trip I'm about to take and was surprised that theres now a charge. Thats fine nothin for free in this world etc. But after reading as much of the 41 page thread (which I posted in originally, my mistake but cant seem to delete it) as I could. I still dont get what I'm paying for?
What garuntees are PGPS making as a company are you considering this as a business?
If I subscribe for a year will you still be going in a year? situations change.
What if Tomtom start adding updates that stop database like this being easily loaded and running on them, as your now a direct profitable rival this is a possibility would I get my years money back.
What is the companies aims, technology developments etc.
Are submitted locations actually being checked by members of staff are there members of staff? Or just people helping out locally.
Is there a real point of contact offices etc?

Like I say I dont mind paying for what I've always thought was a good service but want some real form of contact & accountability if i'm to part with my hard earned.

Thanks
Rob
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: So payings fine but what exactly do I get? Reply with quote

rob404932 wrote:

the same could be said for ANY subscription service... however, my opinion is that PGPSW will still be going strong this time next year.

Quote:

What if Tomtom start adding updates that stop database like this being easily loaded and running on them, as your now a direct profitable rival this is a possibility would I get my years money back.

i seriously doubt they would do this as they would lose a LOT of sales to their rivals.

Quote:

Are submitted locations actually being checked by members of staff are there members of staff? Or just people helping out locally.
Is there a real point of contact offices etc?

i know there are at least 2 paid members of staff - could be more, rob brady will be able to fill you in more on that front. and yes, sites are checked.

MaFt
welshgasman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: So payings fine but what exactly do I get? Reply with quote

They do monthly subscriptions if you are not that confident in their ability to still be here in a years time.

rob404932 wrote:
Hi

Thanks
Rob
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you are clearly a discerning consumer I assume that you have asked the other suppliers of this type of product exactly the same searching questions. You know - the ones that charge at least 3 times as much.

Would be interested to hear what sort of response you got from them. Did it end "off"? Smile
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
vaioable
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Issue is if you pay for the year and then you see that the service you are getting for that year is next to useless. Cameras still not deleted when roadworks have finished month earlier. Temp cameras popping up where there has never been sight nor sound of them before.
A Shoddy log that just says "oh well, we added # of cameras" Where?. What were deleted?
And then when you ask for you money back..Nothing.
I like you dont mind paying. BUT when im not getting what i believed i would be getting then this is surely close to breaking the law itself.
Its up to you but i know in retrospec I would have opted for the monthy payment myself. As Jans database really isnt that different from now. Its still got cameras that are no longer there and mobile positions that people have added in the hope to get free or extended subs.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry but does there have to be endless discussions on the subject of the database updates? As soon as PGPSW explain in one thread how difficult it is to verify all the information coming in to them another "Why aren't my updates included?" or "What do i get for my money?" thread starts.

It's getting a bit boring now. I feel those doing the complaining are in the minority.

I don't know why it takes PGPSW so long to update some cameras but all reports have to be verified and looking at the examples given in other threads you can see why they have so many problems with the camera location being given all over the place. All i can say is that every camera i have added or removed has been added or removed in the next database. Of course i will not have been the only person to have submitted it but the system does work for the majority, i suspect.

It's never going to be perfect and every month there will be cameras that are missed but the whole should be looked at and not just parts. I've been the length of the country with the database since Xmas and have no problems with it. New cameras were added and "removed" cameras removed quickly.

Might i be so bold as to suggest that PGPSW make a definitive answer on the complexities of updating the database, what being done to speed up the processing / verification time and then make it a Sticky??
welshgasman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, but one valid point was raised.

How about details of what was added/deleted. It should be easier enought to export/import the details. Mind you people still have to be aware of the lattitude and longitude.

Saying that, when I update my Inforad, it only tells me how many cameras in the database and nothing else. And that cost £60 for lifetime updates.

PaulB2005 wrote:
I'm sorry but does there have to be endless discussions on the subject of the database updates? As soon as PGPSW explain in one thread how difficult it is to verify all the information coming in to them another "Why aren't my updates included?" or "What do i get for my money?" thread starts.

It's getting a bit boring now. I feel those doing the complaining are in the minority.

I don't know why it takes PGPSW so long to update some cameras but all reports have to be verified and looking at the examples given in other threads you can see why they have so many problems with the camera location being given all over the place. All i can say is that every camera i have added or removed has been added or removed in the next database. Of course i will not have been the only person to have submitted it but the system does work for the majority, i suspect.

It's never going to be perfect and every month there will be cameras that are missed but the whole should be looked at and not just parts. I've been the length of the country with the database since Xmas and have no problems with it. New cameras were added and "removed" cameras removed quickly.

Might i be so bold as to suggest that PGPSW make a definitive answer on the complexities of updating the database, what being done to speed up the processing / verification time and then make it a Sticky??
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quicky as I'm running for the plane.

Quote:
As Jans database really isnt that different from now

It is HUGELY different. minimum 6 hours a day solid work solely on the database sees to that Wink

Quote:
i know there are at least 2 paid members of staff
Correct.

I for one intend being here in well over a year's time. Indeed it would be very foolish of us to let the quality of the database slip and we don't intend to.
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:

Please see:
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=40956&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Please see:
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=40956&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

With all due respect not really what i was suggesting - it fails on all 3 counts.

Also this is one of the other "the database is all wrong" threads i was referring to above.
vaioable
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What they do is try an move you around to confuse you.
not really answering anyones questions and laying on a beach spending our money and putting out pony databases and saying..well umm lets see..well we changed a couple.....what you want value for money...........
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
not really answering anyones questions and laying on a beach spending our money and putting out pony databases and saying..well umm lets see..well we changed a couple.....what you want value for money...........

Rubbish. There is a clear answer in one thread (can't find it at the moment) which explains the problems with verifying the camera locations.

I just thought PGPSW would find it in their interest to have a clear sticky, locked thread which clearly shows the problems and the ways they are tackling them. At the minute the best explanation is one page x of y in a thread i can't find.....

I thought it might help deflect some of the postings regarding updates etc.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vaioable wrote:

Don't judge everbody by your own hign standards. Smile

This database costs a lot less than any other on the market. If you really feel like this then why on earth are you still using it?

Fortunately we still have a few freedoms left in this country and one of them is that you can go off and start your own database. Then you too can soon be sunning yourself on a beach somewhere.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterc10 wrote:
Don't judge everbody by your own hign standards. Smile

This database costs a lot less than any other on the market. If you really feel like this then why on earth are you still using it?

Fortunately we still have a few freedoms left in this country and one of them is that you can go off and start your own database. Then you too can soon be sunning yourself on a beach somewhere.

Clap Well said!

vaioable wrote:
The Issue is if you pay for the year and then you see that the service you are getting for that year is next to useless.

The sensible thing to do would be use the option of trying it for a month. Then, if you consider it to be "next to useless" you've only "wasted" £2.

Try one of the other databases and see what value for money you get! TomTom, I believe, is around £60 for a year. When I found PGPSW, my son ditched his newly subscribed to TomTom database for this one, as he found it far superior.

vaioable wrote:

No. It's people starting new threads instead of continuing existing ones that causes the confusion.
Samsung Galaxy S21
vaioable
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK seeing how everyone is soo happy with the service I will make one last post and bow out.
Im clearly wrong.

Quote:
The sensible thing to do would be use the option of trying it for a month. Then, if you consider it to be "next to useless" you've only "wasted" £2.

I totally agree. However I was sold on the Idea that this would be an upto date service and that our money would pay for better verfication and a much better service. So i paid. I wasnt happy but nothing is free in life.
I DONT have a problem in paying for the database.
What i DO have a problem with is paying for it and not getting what i was sold on. Not getting a decent changes log, not getting any answers to questions on refunds. Being slammed for even mentioning the fact that the DB is out of date. Being giving the option of an RSS feed that Still doesnt work properly. Still not understanding the fact that if a camera submit is a few yards out then its rejected. This given the fact that its illegal to use POICapture whilst driving. How do you do this then??

I would (will) gladly pay 2 pound a month. More infact if the database was in some way up to date.
What I would like though is an answer to the question. Can i get a refund on the rest of the year? Then if the service is improved i will pay for the goods happliy.

Quote:
No. It's people starting new threads instead of continuing existing ones that causes the confusion.

Thats also a problem with this forum. If you could edit your own posts i feel that people could add into existing posts. If you do a search it would seem that so many people are agreaved by the new subs that other threads that start off about one thing often end up about this subject.

By paying we have now become customers this is a big difference from the old days of the database. As Customers we are allowed to voice our complaints and opinions. As a customer thats all im doing. I will admit that I may not have used the best choice of words in previous posts but having seen my money be taken and no improvement in any service, It has made me very angry.

If any Mod has any answers to my questions please mail me off board and i will be happy to listen.

Lee

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: