Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom GO 910 All That Bad ??!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom GO 910 All That Bad ??!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lydiachris
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, understand now!

Just a though, the 910 runs from a hard drive, a laptop hard drive infact.
Could you de-fragment it, meaning the search time across the disc surfice would increase?

Sorry to turn this thread into a tech support site!

Could you:

1) make a complete backup

2) format the whole HDD

3) put all the files back on, meaning they would be packed up nice and close rather than spread out across the whole disc.

Does Mike know anything about this as I think i can remember him writing a page about doing the same with SD Cards ect.

Let us know,
Cheers,
Chris
MKLightning
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
MKLightning wrote:
One thing - maybe it's just me being stupid, but I have tried to use the Home software to do advanced routed planning. It works well. Then I take the 910 to the car, and the advanced planning is not there - I thought that was the whole idea. Still love my 910, though.
Save the advanced route as an Itinary (itn) file then you should be able to re-load the data you created - Mike

Thank you, Mike, I appreciate it. Will try that the next time.
phoenix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject: faulty go 910 Reply with quote

My first go 910, purchased from Maplins, was faulty, it would not get a satelite fix.I spoke to TOMTOM support who said i would have to exchange it.Maplin customer service were excellent, but i did have to make a 70 mile rond trip to get one.The new unit functioned correctly straight out of the box, and as for the mount, I drive a Land Rover Defender with hard suspension and i've not had a single problem.The only annoying thing that has happened is that i must have accidently swithced it on in my bag and now I'm having rouble with the TOMTOM Traffic swithching of the Bluetooth on my Motorola V3.Has any body else had an such problems? I would rate the 910 a 9.5 out of 10
eddie_vincent
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe that Traffic can possibly turn BT off. I have found that my phone turns BT off if it's been on for a long time. What exactly happens?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lydiachris wrote:
Could you de-fragment it, meaning the search time across the disc surfice would increase?

I have never tried this and would not recommend trying it, also I would have thought if anything the search time would decrease? if the drive were in fact fragmented, I have no way of telling if it is or not.

lydiachris wrote:

1) make a complete backup

You should all do this as a matter of course, it was the first thing I did when I returned home with the new device.

lydiachris wrote:

Does Mike know anything about this as I think i can remember him writing a page about doing the same with SD Cards ect.

As I said earlier I would not recommend this, messing around with memory cards is one thing - sorry can't help you much on this one, other than back-up your device to the PC - Mike
lydiachris
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike thanks for your reply.

The only reason I mentioned it was because computer hard drives like to be clean and de-fragmented once in a while. I thought because the go 910 runs off the same thing it might benefit from it.

Surely you can check HOW fragmented the drive is by doind the same as you would for a normal computer, my computer, right click on C:, properties, then disc defragment, anaylise.

Would this not work?

I'll probably give it a go later if I'm brave. Wink

Cheers,
Chris
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can certainly get to the defrag screen and pressing "Analyze" will produce the screen you expect, in my case there was a single fragmented file (an audio track that I have just added this morning) - so I won't be trying to go any further, no point IMHO - Mike
lydiachris
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try mine a little later and post my findings.

!!!HEY!!! my 100th post :D Do I get a prize? Maybe I can win the go 510 in the prize draw this month...PLEASE Crying or Very sad Haha.

Mike, just a quick question, when you first turn on your go 910, say ater leaving it over night for a good 10-12 hours, how long does it take the 910 to get a valid gps signal?

Do you use QuickGPSFix?
phoenix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Bluetooth and phone Reply with quote

The problem with the TOMTOM traffic not working is weird.I can use the hands free and make a call , and the phone is connected, but if i try to use weather or traffic the screen on the V3 shows that i have disconnected and the 910 cannot establish a wireless data connection.I have deleted the phone and re-insalled it and now i cannot get a wireless data connection at all.When i first installed it it was all working as it should with no problems, i will have to try TOMTOM support i think.
eddie_vincent
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You seem tio be saying that it's the GPRS connection that's failing, not Bluetooth.

The connection from TomTom to your phone is either as a BlueTooth headset to make handsfree calls or as a GPRS modem for downloading Traffic. When it is downloading Traffic the phone disconnected symbol appears on TomTom. It should then re-connect to the phone and the symbol should disappear. If you set TomTom to download Traffic every 5 minutes (or whatever you set it to) it never disconnects - don't know why this is. I have also experienced one-off problems when it won't reconnect at all. Going to Mobile Phone/Connect to phone usually does the trick.

Your phone should not show as GPRS connection all the time as this would not allow hands-free use.

Alternatively, I could be talking rubbish - don't all join in!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jean
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got mine from easy devices the week they came out and I absolutely love it.
Posted a few queries at the start and got some really helpful answers - thanks guys!
But since then it has worked great.
Mikes comment about the hot weather really helped re the drooping mount as I just retightened the holder on the windscreen and it is fine now.
I have done a few long distance journeys and it got me there no problem. I use the calculate alternative route a bit as I like to change direction from the original route and I have no problems at all.
It has never turned me up a wrong road at all.
My phone (motorola 550) works great with it, although it does need the microphone to make me more audible.

Off to the States later in the year and Europe so will reap more benefits then.

Overall 10 out of 10 - I love it!
lydiachris
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about the late reply,

Yep tried to defrag my 910 hdd and it near perfect. There are no fragmented files.

Just a quick question, what are the demo.avi files on the hard drive? I deleted them taking up 69mb. Anyone know?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The .avi files are promo type videos, offering a quick introduction as to the devices capability, they will play via the home PC, there are 7 files in different lingos.

One tip though before you start deleting files add hoc please make sure you have the device fully backed up, just in case.

As for you earlier question WRT to QuickGPSFix, yes I do use it, once docked and the Home software is running simply hit the "Check for Updates" and if avail it will download the data to the device, my unit has just updated from the site.

What a surprise undocked the 910 and the Audio books have done the disapearing act again (I only got them back yesterday!!) - Mike
lydiachris
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike.

I've been having a problem with my Fix times. Have a look at this thread:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=41197&highlight=910

What do you suggest?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lydiachris wrote:

The 910 uses a Compact Flash Hard Disk, this is not the same as the 2.5" or 3.5" drives found in laptops.

As for defragmentation, there really isn't much point as unlike a PC/Laptop, the data is mostly read, very little write, oh and the OS is Linux based, far less susceptible to fragmentation than Windows platforms!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: