Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom GO 910 All That Bad ??!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom GO 910 All That Bad ??!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lydiachris
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: TomTom GO 910 All That Bad ??! Reply with quote

Hi there.
Firstly I don't mean to make people angry with what im about to say 8O

I got my tomtom go 910 a week ago.
I charged it for 2 hours before I first turned it on, then I took it outside to get it's first Sat fix. This took 2 minutes, so I left it out in the garden for 45 minutes, by this time it had found 9-10 satellites.

The next day I used it in the car for a journey lasting 3 hours. In this time the go 910 did not suffer from any mount drooping or the loose of power which Exclamation MANY Exclamation people have been suffering from. The tomtom does loose power if I yank it up nearly off the mount and through the windscreen but who's going to do that anyway??!! I live in a residential esate where there are many HUGE speed reducing bumps Confused The tomtom has never lost power from that ... touch wood!

Since I first got the go 910 until now i've never had any major problems with it. Occasionally it takes more than 10 seconds to find it's first gps fix. Is this normal???!!! Also the whole thing shakes and judders like crazy when i'm going 70mph down the A47, BUT apart from the few little niggles and annoyances, it's great.

Am i the only person on these forums who thinks so? Has anyone else had a "good" tomtom go 910??
I bought mine from the dixons website using the £40 discount if you spend over £500. I bought a battery as well just to make up the £500 :P !

Perhaps it's the new batch of tomtom go 910's that tomtom has released but the software version is still 6.020.

I would greatly appreciate some other peoples views on this and if anyone else has a good tomtom go 910.

Cheers,
lydiachris Wink
eddie_vincent
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree - I got one of the first TomToms from PC World. I've never had a problem with it losing power. I got a bit worried when I first took it out and it took ages to get a fix but I was on the move so it's not surprising.

You have to remember that most people who post on forums have got genuiine problems (some others haven't got enough commonsense!) and that makes people who read the forums feel that the product must be rubbish.

My only real gripe is with the maps which are not enough up-to-date.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lydiachris
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah it's good to hear some people are happy with the 910 :D

Has anyone found that sometimes the 910 takes longer than normal to find a fix? Mine ranges from 5 seconds to a minute. I always turn on my go 910 before I leave the house so it's always stationary while it's finding th satellites.

I agree, the maps don't seem to be of much improvement over tomtom nav 5 maps. Many bypasses which have just been built are not on the new maps. When do telewest release new maps? Are they, all year round, recording roads so they can be released each year???

Also i've noticed many people have been having trouble with their remote controls not working after a few mintures, I've never seen this happen. Hey Wink we're probably making all those people out there with didgy go 910's sick 8O Wink Exclamation haha only joking!

Let us know,
lydiachris
MKLightning
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my 910 from PC World (with the £50 discount) the first weekend they were out. I had not owned a Sat Nav before so had nothing to compare it with, but I think it is fantastic. I have not had problems with the drroping mount or disconnections (yet, and hopefully won't). I do have a problem with the screen being so reflective in the sunlight. I have tried screen protector but that has not helped.

The maps are a little "iffy". I live in Milton Keynes which is constantly on the build, but our street has had a different way into it for almost three years (the old way is closed and is now a footpath!). The 910 always tries to bring us home on the footpath, but then again, I do know how to get home without it.

Another map problem was when we were driving to Oxfordshire from MK. On the road to Buckingham, we were told to make a left down a country lane. I gave it the benefit of the doubt, thinking it knew something I didn't. Well, we had a nice tour of Great Horwood, before being given instructions to get back on the same road we were originally on, half a mile down. I don't understand that, because it is definitely not shorter or more direct, and the Buckingham Road has been there for ages. Other than that, I love it.
lydiachris
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there.

I do have to agree that the routing on the 910 can seem to be a little off-track. This is not always to do with the mapping. More the routing algorithms that the tomtom software uses to calculate the "shortest" or "Fastest" route.

Hopefully tomtom will cure this in a future update for the 910, yes other than the routing/mapping problems, the 910 is fantastic. I think it's a good model to show how well satnav systems have come along since tomtom navigator 1!

Let us know about my previous post,
lydiachris
Stanley_Tweedle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PC World are now starting to show 910s in stock again, I don't know if these are the new batch or not?
lydiachris
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way we could find out is if someone could post a "dodgy" 910's serial number, model numbers ect and someone else could post a "working" 910's numbers. I should imagine the software versions would be the same??!! 6.020 ??
eddie_vincent
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've a feeling (expect someone will tell me if I'm wrong) that 'time to fix' depends partly on how long ago it did its last fix (beam me up Scotty). i.e how much the satellties have moved. You can, of course download a quickgpsfix which is supposed to speed things up for a week.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear others are finding the same as myself, to date the mount has released and drooped once in around 2000 miles of driving, it was a hot day, and I cannot be 100% I had locked it in place (hire car), I have had no problems with it when located in my day to day car, great device.

As for the maps, yes I have been twice told to turn right down a public footpath (same location seperate dates), but this is the map that is clearly wrong at this location, not the routing algorithms (and no I didn't open the gate and try driving across an open field, just carried on and within 10 seconds I had a new route - no public footpaths) this issue should be taken up with the map supplier Tele Atlas (not TeleWest - they don't do mapping, but they do provide an excellent internet and e-mail connection :D :D )

For a sunshade - they are avail, I ordered one for my 910 yesterday from http://www.glarestomper.com/ I don't know how good it will be in use, however I will report back once I get it. I must admitt the sunlight (when we get it - which is rare in the UK) is a pain as it washes the colours out.

Overall very impressed with the device, mp3 music etc - its a total car entertainment system - times to acquire the sat lock typically vary between 10 and 45 seconds depending upon location, certainly acceptable IMHO - Mike
eddie_vincent
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tried the quickgpsfix download. Once you've booted up and put in the password, you've got a fix - will try again tomorrow to see if it still works.
MKLightning
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing - maybe it's just me being stupid, but I have tried to use the Home software to do advanced routed planning. It works well. Then I take the 910 to the car, and the advanced planning is not there - I thought that was the whole idea. Still love my 910, though.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MKLightning wrote:
One thing - maybe it's just me being stupid, but I have tried to use the Home software to do advanced routed planning. It works well. Then I take the 910 to the car, and the advanced planning is not there - I thought that was the whole idea. Still love my 910, though.
Save the advanced route as an Itinary (itn) file then you should be able to re-load the data you created - Mike
mrstella
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had my 910 for about 5 weeks now, it is soooo much better than my garmin streetpilot, whilst yes it does have some routing issues (trying to take me over a pedestrian access for a train track 8O ) it knocks spots off the garmin unit.

The only problem that i have had, has been the inability to play the mp3 audio via my car speakers, due to a dodgy mount which tomtom are in the process of replacing.

I have covered over 5000 miles with the unit and i am very very impressed.
lydiachris
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eddie_vincent wrote:
Just tried the quickgpsfix download. Once you've booted up and put in the password, you've got a fix - will try again tomorrow to see if it still works.

What do you mean by Boot up then put in your password? Are you referring to tomtom home or the 910 itself under the plus services?

When I do a quickgpsfix on the 910 it connects to my phone and downloads something. Is this the same as the tomtom home way of doing it, or am I missing something Question Rolling Eyes Haha telewest! Been a lonnngggg week Mike!!!! Crying or Very sad

You know what...i'm so pleased i've started this thread! It's about time someone said something good about the 910!!!!

Just something else, i've noticed when planning a route across Europe, the 910 is quite slow compared with the go 700. Is this just me?!! I understand planning a 600 mile trip takes some planning, but how long is it meant to take? I've tried selecting a standard voice, Not tts, and this frees up a LOT of RAM but it makes no difference to the routing time.

Chris
eddie_vincent
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's under Preferences page 6 - Set Owner. You have to be docked to TomTom Home to change the password - it's a four number pin-like code.

I seem to remember someone else saying the 910 was slower than the 700 for pan-Europe planning.

I think mine connected by phone to do a quickgpsfix. Never tried it with Home.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: