Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Go910 - Car Mount - Restting, Powering off, not charging?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Go910 - Car Mount - Restting, Powering off, not charging?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spooky_uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Go910 - Car Mount - Restting, Powering off, not charging? Reply with quote

I believe there is a problem with some mounts - we experienced all these today which was the first full day journey it was used on. What is the latest on this issue, is it faulty and in need of exchange. Can it be replaced at PC World (bought on May 01st)? ANy help appreciated.

It nearly got thrown out of the car window today - totally useless. Evil or Very Mad
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure it's not a loose plug in the cigarette lighter socket? This would power on and off, giving the symptoms you describe.
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
Spooky_uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgould wrote:
Are you sure it's not a loose plug in the cigarette lighter socket? This would power on and off, giving the symptoms you describe.

positive. i forgot to add that we tried charging both our mobiles and both charged perfectly and without interuption.
Flashyphotos
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Can it be replaced at PC World (bought on May 01st)? ANy help appreciated.

You left that just a bit late, as PCWorlds exchange policy is 28days. After that they will just refer you back to TomTom who will exchange it but

1 It will leave you without a unit for 10 days or so
2 You will probably get a refub and not a new unit

There is a lot of talk of the mount fault causing power problems, but in my own experience its the unit not the mount.. (Tried 1 unit on three mounts still had the power off problem), yet the 2 other units worked fine on the mount from the faulty one,

Looks like your best bet will be a return to TomTom unless you can find a helpful PCWorld (Doubtful as none seem to have stock!)
Spooky_uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well in my book 28 days exchange, and bought on 01st equals the policy expires on 29th (today).

And PC World agreed when I returned it today for an exchange. Wink

They did not have any in stock and are going to call me this coming week if any arrive. Paperwork for exchange done and printed, just need to wait for a call to swap the unit as the stock arrives.
It would seem that there have been a lot of faulty units suffering a variety of faults. When the manager that served me in customer service heard me say tomtom he explained that of the new range (ending in 10) have been a nightmare and they have had to exchange a lot of units over the past month.
pepperm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done a bit more playing and think the problem may be related at least in part, to the power connector on the cradle. If I remove the power adaptor from the cigarette lighter the 910 doesn't reset, however if I remove the plug from the cradle it does, everytime. Which doesn't seem to suggest a voltage change is causing the reset. It's like the plug causes some switch to open/close which causes a reset.

Inside the cradle is a mcp23008 which is a serial to parallel convertor of some sort which maybe be involved in the reset?

Any thoughts?

Mark
mbeckman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Tomtoms reset whenever power to the mount transitions Reply with quote

I have the mount problem, and it seems endemic. After a lot of experimentation I've determined that the TT resets whenever the power to the mount transistions on to off or off to on.

I have been back to BB twice to try new mounts and a different unit, and they all have the same problem: the TT510 loses power and reboots, then the battery runs down and the unit goes off completely. One the unit loses power connection, I can't get it to resume without completely stopping the car, remounting the windshield mount ,and futzing with it. Then it goes out again anyway in a few minutes. TT support acknowledges the problem and promised to ship me a new, redesigned mount "as soon as they come in."

Most annoying is that the windshield mount is the ONLY WAY you can power the unit in a car! There is no direct power input on the unit — it gets its power from the mount. Also, the mount is the only way to attach a microphone (necessary for the bluetooth speakerphone feature), external speakers, or an external antenna (needed on one of my cars, since the windshield has an rf-shielding film over it). Thus for me the unit won’t be very useable intil they fix the mount.

TomTom US support seems largely uneducated on the unit. They initially feigned no knowledge of the mount problem (I say "feigned" because one person I spoke with there slipped and said they do know about the power problem). They do acknowledge a droop problem with the mount -- I have that, but it isn't severe yet.
CeeJay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mbeckham.
My mount was OK for the first 16 days and then started dropping the power connection.
At first I thought it was 'everyone else' not using the mount correctly but how wrong was I Embarassed.
Coupled with the fact that my audiobook icon kept greying itself out for no apparent reason, sometimes when you turned it on and off sometimes when you docked/undocked. The only way I found to reset it was to deactivate then reactivate the device using audible.com's software. (no good if you're out on the road without a laptop).
So mine went back for a refund.
I now use something else that works and won't be going back to a TT until they make a unit that you can plug your leads into the unit and not the mount, as well as being able to mount it on the dash, which was a major issue for me.
All in all the TT had some nice features on it but I feel the mount design has seriously let them down on this model.
Wifey runs a TT One and that performs impeccably and it's mounted on her dash. :D

CeeJay
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently read in another post (or forum) that someone took his mount apart and found the soldering for the power connections was not good (dry joints).
If you're brave enough to delve inside, it might be worth a look.
sledge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The resetting is almost certainly a power problem from the sounds of it. I have my unit wired directly into my fusebox so that the 12V turns off when the car does. Whats great is that even the the TomTom has an internal battery, it shuts down when I turn the ignition off. The down side is that if the power is removed by accident or a bump it will also shut down.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
westentertainer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

re pc world exchange ,i pay £2.99 a month to cover my 910 ,i purchased this the same time as i purchased my 910 if it goes faulty ANYTIME i get a replacement
Spooky_uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: new unit Reply with quote

PC world finally got new stock in yesterday so I went across to pick up my exchange. Had a play last night and this unit will not charge at all via the normal charger (have not tried it in the car yet) na dthe bluetooth refuses to work with my 6230i phone (although the last unit worked without a hitch!)

getting really peeved now, going to have go back for another replacement now Sad
r00k1e
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject: 910 not charging Reply with quote

bought my 910 from maplins 10 days ago would not charge from car mount tried 3 cla chargers no go maplins said they would send it to head office and exchange but would be 2 weeks demanded and got refund went to halfords staff took 910 from box fitted up and tried cla charger hey presto it works so bought it very pleased with it
onezone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..Perhaps a little off topic, but can anyone confirm if the mounting kits/permanent docking kits for the 500/700 work for the new 910?

I have a perm docking kit in the car, and am considering purchasing the new 910, but if it means ripping out the kit and buying a new one.. what a pain !

anyhelp much appreciated.
solprior
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

onezone wrote:
..Perhaps a little off topic, but can anyone confirm if the mounting kits/permanent docking kits for the 500/700 work for the new 910?

I have a perm docking kit in the car, and am considering purchasing the new 910, but if it means ripping out the kit and buying a new one.. what a pain !

anyhelp much appreciated.

Afraid not - the mounting shoe completely different from that of the classic go. It may just be a case of changing the mount, but it is probably a question for Tom Tom.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: