Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom 910 resetting
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom 910 resetting
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hegedusa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Tomtom 910 resetting Reply with quote

I've seen other posts mention the 910 resetting / rebooting problem, in relation to a dodgy mount or connection to the mount. I'm not sure this is what's happening. My 910 keeps resetting even when the vehicle is stationary.

I've noticed that during a "fit" of resetting, the status display doesn't show the unit as charging.

Is it possible that the problem is a voltage problem where the unit thinks that power has been removed?

The whole thing could be solved by removing (or at least making it an option) that ridiculous feature whereby the 910 switches off when external power is removed.

I've also got a feeling that the resetting problem occurs more when the battery is discharged a bit. It got so bad yesterday that it would stay "on" for about 20 seconds at a time, then reset.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you running any other processes or tools at startup? what does the "free memory" line say?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
hegedusa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
are you running any other processes or tools at startup? what does the "free memory" line say?

a) How would I run other processes or tools if I wanted to? It just starts up as it comes, being a tomtom 910.
b)How do I get the free memory line to come up?

I'm not silly, really.

Also, when running off the battery, it works fine, and never resets.
pepperm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are right, it is resetting but as a result of an interruption in the power connection. If you just remove the cigarette end of the the power unit, it resets too. Mind you, not always.

Same thing happens when removing the 910 from the desk charger too.

Daft function though if it is supposed to reset when the power connection changes.
hegedusa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperm wrote:
I think you are right, it is resetting but as a result of an interruption in the power connection. If you just remove the cigarette end of the the power unit, it resets too. Mind you, not always.

Same thing happens when removing the 910 from the desk charger too.

Daft function though if it is supposed to reset when the power connection changes.

The problem is that it even happens when the car is stationary. It can't be a loose connection. And the weird thing is that it doesn't always happen. I can't say I'm altogether happy with it. I use the tomtom for my work and haven't got the time to be messing about with the connections etc. Maybe I could run it off the home charger through an AC inverter whilst in the car. Who knows? It might be a more stable voltage...
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather get a replacement device.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too had this off/on problem. Found a solution in another thread. There are three rubber blobs in the back. Remove the small triangular one and the connection beds in properly - I never had it happen again.
pepperm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the cradle apart last night and noticed that the solder connections to the power connection socket looked very dry jointed. So I re-soldered them and, now my unit doesn't reset when I remove or replace the power plug. I also partially removed and replaced the 910 onto it's connectors several times and have not seen a reset yet.

Touch wood, maybe I have fixed the problem......

Mark
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you get to my age, my eyesight, my shaky hands, you'll think twice about taking something apart rather than back to the shop!!
pepperm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have just done a 2.5 hour drive and tried waggling everything all the way and didn't get one reset. On the same journey twice last week I got a couple of resets every time.

I have to take my glasses of now to do the soldering too so don't be afraid. I'm not that young either :D
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperm wrote:
I had the cradle apart last night and noticed that the solder connections to the power connection socket looked very dry jointed. So I re-soldered them

That's very useful to know. It's the first time this has been discovered (or mentioned on the TT forums anyway). If there are a whole batch with duff solder joints, it would explain a lot of peoples' problems.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. I wonder if there's a lot of this dry solder about. Could it be responsible for the invisible red characters on the speed limit function? (No I don't exceed speed limits, it's just dead annoying to drive southbound M5 J22 to J29 at 68 mph with it flashing away because it thinks the motorway is 60mph). Or maybe it dried up the (very, very) inaccurate free camera data. Maybe it also prevented the eastbound exit from M5 Junction 24 getting onto the map?
Anyway, after getting exasperated with my third 910 in two weeks, I took it back and got an exchange back to the 700. No dry joints there and the "old" maps are just as good.
And if anybody from pgpsw is looking, can you please demote me from Standard rank back to Beginner - don't want to have anybody thinking I know what I'm talking about!!
CeeJay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done pepperm.
Sounds like you've sorted it.
I can't believe that dry joints were the problem in this day and age.
I used to work for a major electronics company and our 'production line' soldering was scrutinised and tested to the nth degree by our QA department. (Sometimes even X-rayed).
Poor show Tom Tom.
Unfortunately, too late for me, mine went back for a refund.

CeeJay.
lydiachris
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperm wrote:
I had the cradle apart last night and noticed that the solder connections to the power connection socket looked very dry jointed. So I re-soldered them and, now my unit doesn't reset when I remove or replace the power plug. I also partially removed and replaced the 910 onto it's connectors several times and have not seen a reset yet.

Touch wood, maybe I have fixed the problem......

Mark

With what "screw-bit" did you do this with and where can you buy one from??!! Wink Gonna do myself a bit of D.I.Y. this weekend, I would of said i'll take my 910 out for a spin but we probably wouldn't get out the drive without it re-setting Evil or Very Mad
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they are the same as the screws in the old range, they are star-shaped "Torx" bits. You can buy these quite cheaply in sets of "security screw bits" but the set doesn't usually go small enough. Take the mount to a good tool shop and they should be able to sell you the individual bits to go in a hex drive handle.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: