Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 510 poor GPS fix
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 510 poor GPS fix
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mongoose
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: TomTom 510 poor GPS fix Reply with quote

Have just upgraded to the TomTom 510 after my GO was stolen. The new unit is fine except it takes up to 35minutes to get a GPS fix and then the signal comes and goes all the time. I use a professional external antenna and that dosen't help. Is there a problem with these models that anyone knows about? Have only had this five days and am really disspointed since my GO worked perfectly all the time...
MELennium
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you the correct antenna as the one with the original Go's will not work with the 510/710/910 &one units?
Ex. owner TomTom One v.5.420 Map UK v.605
Ex. owner Garmin i3 v.2.7 Map UK V.7
Mongoose
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I never used the GO antenna, I got a professional one fitted to the roof and that worked 100% all the time. I had the plug changed to suit the 510 and sometimes there is a great signal, other times zero - the unit does the same thing if you just hold it in your hand and aim it at the sky - very hit and miss. Reading these posts I now discover that lots of people seem to be experiencing similar issues with these new models........
PatC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recall reading about this particular problem here, and I certainly haven't experienced them myself. I would say your unit is probably faulty.
saudidave
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a Go 510 for 4 days. Sat locks take up to 10 minutes (1 minute max with a Garmin i3, almost instant with TT5 on an XDAiis in a thinknavi cradle - same car, same place!). In addition, the Phone makes me sound like Norman Collier, it breaks up that much. It did its piece de resistance tonight. I turned it on and it died. The end. It is going back. From the number of similar posts I've read, quality control is obviously an issue.
Skwark
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure your GO is running software v.6.02.

Apparently this fixes some GPS issues with the 510.
westentertainer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well for a change i must be the lucky one,my 910 locks on every time within seconds ,the hands free is exelent ,every phone function is working ,the mount as not moved in the last month ,does not have contact with mount issues,takes me to my destination 10 times a day at least,mp3 works great throgh a fm sender although ther is a little whine presumambly the hdd og unit in all very pleased
saudidave
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite my experiences with my dodgy 510, I've bought another to see if it was bad luck or a bad product. I'll report my findings.
saudidave
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new 510 wouldn't start at first but after a full charge and a reset, it now appears OK. It got a sat lock in under a minute this morning (in the car) and the hands free appears to be working without breaking up.
Mongoose
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK so I am now on my second 510, seems OK at the moment. When I was in the store I asked if there had been others returned, the guy said 'loads and loads' he even had the number for TomTom sellotaped at the customer service desk!!

I will report back, maybe this one is from a better batch...
shauneco
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a TomTom 510 so far Perfect, Get a GPS fix usually with-in 30 seconds (after downloading QuickGPSfix via TomTom Home) before using quickgpsfix took 1-2 min, As for hands free no problem so far when using SonyEricsson V600i via bluetooth although I tried my wifes mobile and it didn't work as well it kept losing the bluetooth connection so would suspect the mobile rather than the TomTom. So anyone else who maybe having problems with handsfree try using a different mobile.
PatC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shauneco wrote:
(after downloading QuickGPSfix via TomTom Home) before using quickgpsfix took 1-2 min

I know you can download QuickGPSfix but the TT site still says it is "available soon". I'm not clear whether it actually does anything yet.
shauneco
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when you download QuickGPSFix currently only available via TomTom Home QuickGPSFix tells your device where the satalites are likely to be for the next several days so your device can get a GPS fix quicker
PatC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

QuickGPSfix is available directly from the device over GPRS. My point was that the TT site still shows QuickGPSfix as "available soon". I know what it is supposed to do, I'm just not sure whether it is actually doing it yet.
Mongoose
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Update:

Got my second TT510 today, interesting that the guy in Comet said they were getting loads returned. It seemed to work OKish from Comet's car park on the drive home - lost the signal a few times unlike my old GO. Just tried to use it tonight and I waited for nearly 20 minutes to get a fix then as soon as I started moving it lost the signal and the map started spinning at most junctions. Completely useless.

When I go into the GPS screen all I see is greyed out sat bars, I honestly think there is a major software fault.

I shall return this unit for another one. Also when this one connects via Bluetooth it reckons it is a 710!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: