Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - European POI for speed cameras/traps?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

European POI for speed cameras/traps?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Helluvaname
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: European POI for speed cameras/traps? Reply with quote

I'n new to this so please s p e a k s l o w l y !

I have the quest 2 that comes with speed camera and overspeed alerts for the UK.

However will be touring France in July and would like to know if there is a way to add French speed cameras (and if possible Gendarme favourite places!) to the Quest 2?

Many thanks Smile
missing_user

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Caravan Club article warns whether devices are on or not, if you are caught you face a fine of £1500, the device confiscated and your car impounded and the possibilty of a court apperarance!

Is it worth it??
skellum
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

strumble wrote:
The Caravan Club article warns whether devices are on or not, if you are caught you face a fine of £1500, the device confiscated and your car impounded and the possibilty of a court apperarance!

Is it worth it??

I realised this was the case for Radar detectors as they are illegal in France - but is it the same for legal GPS units that have POI's that include fixed speed traps?? How would they know anyway?
elsinga
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my www.elsinga.net/links page you will find lots of links to POI's, among others a french site which has radar traps in France you can download ("telecharger").

B sure to upload both the UK and french POI's in one session. ;)

GPS V FAQ Quest FAQ
Home @ N 52"55.812', E 05"51.509'
Helluvaname
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply Robert,

I had a look at your site (great site BTW, thanks) however I can only see a link to alertgps.com that seems to be only mobile radar trap sites in France, and doesn't include fixed gatso's?

That download also doesn't mention Quest 2 - are the POI files for Quest compatable with Quest 2?

I did find a zip file in your downloads section called Radar2004-05-01 that includes France, but I'm guessing that this is nearly 2 1/2 years old now - do you know of any updates?

Also I note your advice to upload UK POI's at the same time. I assume this is because any new POI upload erases any existing ones? If so, is there a way to find out, or even extract and re-upload, the existing POI's that come installed on the Quest 2? (sorry if this is basic stuff but I'm new to this!).

Many thanks for your help, Ian
elsinga
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The french site has all types of radartraps AFAIK. And they work for the Quest 2 also.

The file on my site is indeed quite old, www.radarfalle.de has an up to date file (but it is (c), so I can't publish it).

And yes, all POI's are removed with any new upload.

GPS V FAQ Quest FAQ
Home @ N 52"55.812', E 05"51.509'
Helluvaname
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Robert, will check the other site out Smile
factoryman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: French speed cameras Reply with quote

just to put your mind at rest, i have toured France and spain twice this year and saw approx 3 (yes three!) speed cameras and only 1 radar trap, all of which were well advertised and blatantly obvious. Do the clever thing and watch your speed coming into or leaving towns/villages and you should nt have a problem!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: