Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help with 510 maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with 510 maps
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
custom900
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 3:01 am    Post subject: Help with 510 maps Reply with quote

Hi all, total newbie to both this site and GPS, and looking for help already!
I'd be very grateful if someone could advise me on this one.
I've just bought a used Navman iCN 510, european edition. I'm off to the states in a few weeks, and while looking for american maps I found this on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=9726710460&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1
The software's used, and I'm wondering if it'll be of any use to me, or just a bum steer. Thumbs Up
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Help with 510 maps Reply with quote

custom900 wrote:
Hi all, total newbie to both this site and GPS, and looking for help already!
I'd be very grateful if someone could advise me on this one.
I've just bought a used Navman iCN 510, european edition. I'm off to the states in a few weeks, and while looking for american maps I found this on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=9726710460&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1
The software's used, and I'm wondering if it'll be of any use to me, or just a bum steer. Thumbs Up

Probably not of use Sad . If it's been loaded on another Navman then it will have been registered for that unit only and will not work on yours. Loading the software involves using the computer Desktop SmartST programme and that will detect the registration.It's unlikely that any software not bought from an authorised source will work. Wink
Welcome to the forum.
custom900
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, GP, I had a feeling it was too good to be true, I'll cancel my bid on it. It just bugs me that navman charge so much for maps. Is there anywhere anyone would recommend to buy from???
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

custom900 wrote:
Thanks, GP, I had a feeling it was too good to be true, I'll cancel my bid on it. It just bugs me that navman charge so much for maps. Is there anywhere anyone would recommend to buy from???

I regret Navman and their agents are the only source and the price is fixed. Crying or Very sad
custom900
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a thought: I could always buy the software in the states and load it there, looks to be waaay cheaper. That is of course if the american software will fit onto a European model???
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

custom900 wrote:
Just had a thought: I could always buy the software in the states and load it there, looks to be waaay cheaper. That is of course if the american software will fit onto a European model???

Yes, if it comes from a Navman reseller and is genuine it should load OK - assuming you have a computer with you with the SmartST desktop loaded. Wink
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I've just had a look and I see that Navman sell pre-loaded SD cards in the States with certain states on them - one shows this...

Drive-Away™ Secure Digital Card (EAST) for the iCN 510 and 635 US EDITION$59.95
SD memory card preloaded with Alabama, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Vermont, Virginia, Washington D.C., and West Virginia .

Would that help you?
custom900
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would suit me perfectly GP, but would an SD card meant for US 510's work in a Euro 510? If it did, I could get it direct from navman and it would solve my problem. I'd hate to pay €150 for US maps and then discover that the US $50 version would work perfectly in my machine.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

custom900 wrote:
That would suit me perfectly GP, but would an SD card meant for US 510's work in a Euro 510? If it did, I could get it direct from navman and it would solve my problem. I'd hate to pay €150 for US maps and then discover that the US $50 version would work perfectly in my machine.

I don't know but I cannot think that it would not. There are many forum members who would know - those that have already been to the States and should be able to tell you.
Anyone out there with the answer Question
custom900
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I've emailed NM and asked them, so I'll let you know how I got on. Meanwhile it would be nice if someone who has done this already would reply. Thanks for the help GP. Thumbs Up
Tommy_Belfast
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Help with 510 maps Reply with quote

Hi and no I aint hijacking someones thread Laughing

but posted this in wanted and got no reply .

Hello, was wondering if anyone out there can help me.

I am off to florida next july for 2 weeks and want to take my satnav with me. I live in Belfast and have been looking the net for maps of florida.

Would it be better for me to get the maps preloaded on an SD card or buy the disks and buy a 1gb kingston card and install it on that or whats best way to go about doing it.

You lot always come thru and so am looking the cheapest way to do it and were to buy the stuff any help be much appreciated.

I wait to see your reply back from navman about the Sd card maps .
I would order from the states if it was cheaper than here in the uk.
Would I be able to just pop the Sd card in and go and would i be able to use a 1gb kingston card and have uk and usa on it, can you get install state by state or what, dieing to know outcome.. cheers sorry for butting in, not hijacking ..
Embarassed
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look here

That will give you all the prices region by region in the USA. Just choose the one with the states in it that you want. Then wait to ensure there will be no problem in using/loading a SD card in your device so that you can use it in the USA. Wink

However, I have just found this, tucked away on the Navman web site which probably means you cannot use it...sorry!

Quote:
The Navman Drive-Away™ SD card is ONLY intended to be used with the iCN 510 and iCN 635 with United States and Canada version of SmartST V3 software.

Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a bit more research, it looks as if, for your UK version of Navman, you will have to buy the maps on CD at €149 - also comes with an upgrade of SmartST2005. If you look here
you can read all the information
The discs cover the whole of the USA and Canada. Wink
custom900
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Nice one GP. I sort of guessed that it would be the most expensive option Laughing
Seems a lot to pay for just one visit, might just go by good old fashioned €7.50 map!!! Thanks for the help. Thumbs Up
djmek
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased a USA Navman 510 last year and would recommend it for the usa, I used it in Florida and California and Nevada. of course it came with all the maps with the package. Out of curiousity i had a go at installing the USA maps on my UK navman... Absolutely no chance.

It was interesting to see GP's link to the preloaded SD Cards for individual states, I was asking myself what use this would be to someone who already bought a USA navman and had the maps already.

I would point out that the MANY users on here are using the Tom Tom software via their navman for the uk, cant this be done with Tom Tom USA mapping software? (Note. You will notice I never mentioned the fact that most of the people who are using TT map sofware probably did not purchase the maps but might have downloaded them) (I often wonder about that because why would you buy a navman and then buy software for another product) But anyway, maybe someone could look into that or let us know.

Especially for Florida travelling, the FL maps are very good, they took me to the door of places I programmed, there are some new roads especially in Orlando that are not covered, but thats the case everywhere.

A note for the person wanting USA maps, i would go for the ebay side of things on ebay usa and buy a second hand one for probably the same price, if not less than you would pay navman.

I hope this is of some use.
Preference for Motorways & Freeways...More Often......Maximum Right.
Preference for Urban Roads

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: