Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How to install (camera database) POIs to TomTom Navigator 5+
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How to install (camera database) POIs to TomTom Navigator 5+
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welchy1992 wrote:
Hello everyone,
I have a pocket pc with tomtom 5 navigator installed on it but i have not got any POI's on the pc. Does any1 kno how 2 put them on Question
email back asap on welchy_1992@hotmail.co.uk
or
post a reply on this site
thanks welchy1992

Welcome to the forums welchy1992!

Have you seen this yet http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=21790 ?
yuler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 2:06 am    Post subject: POI Problem Reply with quote

Help

I have downloaded the POI i require, Low Bridges and have unziped it and copy and pasted it to my maps folder no problem but tomtom wont see it.

Any ideas?

Thanks
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which TomTom unit and software are you using? also how many POI have you loaded onto the device? most devices are limitted to 39 custom POI's, if you have loaded more than that, this will be the reason the software cant see the POI. To find out how many Custom POI you have stored, open the map folder using file explorer on the PC (unit must be docked and connected to the PC) and search for files with an extension of ov2 - how many are there? - Mike
mutleyeng
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 2:53 am    Post subject: tomtom nav 5 Reply with quote

hi,
just loaded the camera DB, along with my old tomtom go POI's, onto my pda running tomtom nav 5.21 with windows mobile 5 OS .... problem i have is that they are all there, but they all have the same solid dark red icon...any ideas why?

cheers,
mutt
mutleyeng
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 2:56 am    Post subject: sorry Reply with quote

sorry,
posted in wrong place
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: tomtom nav 5 Reply with quote

mutleyeng wrote:
.... problem i have is that they are all there, but they all have the same solid dark red icon...any ideas why?

Did you copy the BMP Files as well?

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Grace0803
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beach_bum wrote:
hi,
do you leave the warn closer than: 273 yards, at 273 or change it, which is best?
thanks

The more warning the better, depending on the speed limit. I set the faster ones 60 + 70 to warn me in 800 yards, and ad7just the others accordingly.
Mikeact
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the mobile ones can operate bothways...(I have a nice picture of the back of my wifes car taken at 300 mtrs driving away from the mobile camera), I have mine set..mobile that is, for at least 1000 yards....these beasts can work up to a mile away.
wazzzzupmate
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. Set the mobile ones to 1000 yards. May be slightly early on A and B roads, but you need a warning at 1000 yards on the motorway (assuming you are travelling close to the speed limit and not hogging the middle lane at 30mph, with tomtom stuck in the middle of the windscreen obscuring your vision, and a few cushions on the rear parcel shelf to ensure you vision is obscured there also!!) Sorry about that, really bored as off work sick, tomtom not been used for 3 weeks as I can't drive at the mo, so I don't need speed camera warings!!)
artro
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: How to install (camera database) POIs to TomTom Navigato Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
Welcome

Hello and welcome to the PocketGPSWorld guide to installing POIs onto a PocketPC running TomTom Navigator 5.

If you have arrived at this thread from a link from another website, then once you’ve read this thread, why not have a look in the rest of the TomTom Navigator forum in PocketGPSWorld? Signup and you can then join in the discussions, ask for help, and help others.

Introduction

This is intended as an instruction on how to install POIs (especially the PocketGPSWorld camera database) onto TomTom Navigator 5.

If you wish to use the PocketGPSWorld camera database, then you are advised to read the beginner’s guide to the PocketGPSWorld camera database before you continue.

A Points of Interest (POI) database consists of:
a file with extension .OV2 (e.g. pocketgps_uk_gatso_30.ov2)
a companion file with extension .BMP (e.g. pocketgps_uk_gatso_30.bmp)

Back up before you continue
As a precaution, before you make any changes to your set-up (e.g. add POIs etc) then please ensure that you have a viable backup of your system and of your storage card. Sprite Backup Pocket PC Edition is recommended for backing up your PocketPC to your storage card. You can then copy the entire contents of your storage card to a folder on your PC.

Why not use the PocketGPSWorld POI Sync service?
(Edited by robbrady: Sorry, POIEdit is not currently supported - this may be just a temporary situation.)
If you have PoiEdit by Dnote and you have set it up to use the PocketGPSWorld POI Sync service then all you need to do is to place your PocketPC into its cradle and let PoiEdit download the latest version of the POIs to the correct folder on your PocketPC.

Step 1. Download the POI file
Download the POI zip file. Save the file on your computer by selecting “save” when prompted. Save the file in a place where you can easily find it again for step 3 of the installation, e.g. on your Desktop or in My Documents. Unzip the contents.

Step 2. Connect your PocketPC to your PC
Shutdown TomTom Navigator (if it is still running).
Place your PocketPC in its cradle to connect your PocketPC to your PC. Ensure that Microsoft ActiveSync starts and that your PocketPC is "synchronized".

Step 3. Copy the POI files from your PC
Go to the directory on the local hard drive of your PC where you stored or downloaded the unzipped POI database files (.OV2 and optionally .BMP files). Select and copy the POI database files.
You must copy the (.OV2 and .BMP) files - do NOT copy the folders.

Step 4. Copy the POI files to your PocketPC
Ensure that your storage card is "unlocked".
Then go to the map folder on your PocketPC, for example the folder "Great_Britain_Plus-Map"; and "paste" the POI files into this folder.

The POI files are now successfully copied to this folder. You are ready to use your new POIs in TomTom Navigator 5.

Step 5. Display POIs in TomTom Navigator 5
Finally, to enable POIs in TomTom Navigator 5, start TomTom Navigator 5 and select the POIs in your POI categories:

Change Preferences | Manage (or Maintain) POI | Enable / Disable POI
Select POI

They now are displayed on your TomTom Navigator 5 screen in both 3D maps and 2D maps.
Even if you do not display POIs on screen, you can now "navigate to" your Poi’s, find POIs near your location, etc.

Step 6. Set up Proximity Alerts (optional)
Change Preferences | Manage (or Maintain) POI | Warn when near POI
Select each POI in turn,
Select the distance for warning
Select the warning sound
Uncheck the "Warn only if POI is on route" box
Repeat until all POIs are set up to warn.

NB. If you check the "Warn only if POI is on route" box, then you will not be warned of POIs that you approach if:
1. The POIs are slightly away from the road.
2. You have no destination and therefore no route planned.

Troubleshooting:

The .OV2 file is not in the same directory as the map: see step 4.
The .OV2 file does not contain any POI, or at least no POIs within the borders of the map.
Shutdown and restart TomTom Navigator, alternatively soft rest the PocketPC and then start TomTom Navigator.

Miscellaneous

If you wish to use spoken alerts (instead of the default beeps) on your copy of TomTom Navigator 5, then your can use the free PocketGPSWorld voices. The article can be found here. Please read it carefully before you start and ensure that you have a viable backup of your set-up (via Sprite Backup) and also a viable backup of your storage card (on a folder in your PC) in case anything goes wrong.

This post is a "living document" and thus will be updated as and when necessary.

Posts in this thread may be deleted, so as to keep the thread as short as possible. However relevant suggestions or questions (and their answers) will be added to this post.
mark19
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: How to install (camera database) POIs to TomTom Navigato Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
Welcome

Hello and welcome to the PocketGPSWorld guide to installing POIs onto a PocketPC running TomTom Navigator 5.

If you have arrived at this thread from a link from another website, then once you’ve read this thread, why not have a look in the rest of the TomTom Navigator forum in PocketGPSWorld? Signup and you can then join in the discussions, ask for help, and help others.

Introduction

This is intended as an instruction on how to install POIs (especially the PocketGPSWorld camera database) onto TomTom Navigator 5.

If you wish to use the PocketGPSWorld camera database, then you are advised to read the beginner’s guide to the PocketGPSWorld camera database before you continue.

A Points of Interest (POI) database consists of:
a file with extension .OV2 (e.g. pocketgps_uk_gatso_30.ov2)
a companion file with extension .BMP (e.g. pocketgps_uk_gatso_30.bmp)

Back up before you continue
As a precaution, before you make any changes to your set-up (e.g. add POIs etc) then please ensure that you have a viable backup of your system and of your storage card. Sprite Backup Pocket PC Edition is recommended for backing up your PocketPC to your storage card. You can then copy the entire contents of your storage card to a folder on your PC.

Why not use the PocketGPSWorld POI Sync service?
(Edited by robbrady: Sorry, POIEdit is not currently supported - this may be just a temporary situation.)
If you have PoiEdit by Dnote and you have set it up to use the PocketGPSWorld POI Sync service then all you need to do is to place your PocketPC into its cradle and let PoiEdit download the latest version of the POIs to the correct folder on your PocketPC.

Step 1. Download the POI file
Download the POI zip file. Save the file on your computer by selecting “save” when prompted. Save the file in a place where you can easily find it again for step 3 of the installation, e.g. on your Desktop or in My Documents. Unzip the contents.

Step 2. Connect your PocketPC to your PC
Shutdown TomTom Navigator (if it is still running).
Place your PocketPC in its cradle to connect your PocketPC to your PC. Ensure that Microsoft ActiveSync starts and that your PocketPC is "synchronized".

Step 3. Copy the POI files from your PC
Go to the directory on the local hard drive of your PC where you stored or downloaded the unzipped POI database files (.OV2 and optionally .BMP files). Select and copy the POI database files.
You must copy the (.OV2 and .BMP) files - do NOT copy the folders.

Step 4. Copy the POI files to your PocketPC
Ensure that your storage card is "unlocked".
Then go to the map folder on your PocketPC, for example the folder "Great_Britain_Plus-Map"; and "paste" the POI files into this folder.

The POI files are now successfully copied to this folder. You are ready to use your new POIs in TomTom Navigator 5.

Step 5. Display POIs in TomTom Navigator 5
Finally, to enable POIs in TomTom Navigator 5, start TomTom Navigator 5 and select the POIs in your POI categories:

Change Preferences | Manage (or Maintain) POI | Enable / Disable POI
Select POI

They now are displayed on your TomTom Navigator 5 screen in both 3D maps and 2D maps.
Even if you do not display POIs on screen, you can now "navigate to" your Poi’s, find POIs near your location, etc.

Step 6. Set up Proximity Alerts (optional)
Change Preferences | Manage (or Maintain) POI | Warn when near POI
Select each POI in turn,
Select the distance for warning
Select the warning sound
Uncheck the "Warn only if POI is on route" box
Repeat until all POIs are set up to warn.

NB. If you check the "Warn only if POI is on route" box, then you will not be warned of POIs that you approach if:
1. The POIs are slightly away from the road.
2. You have no destination and therefore no route planned.

Troubleshooting:

The .OV2 file is not in the same directory as the map: see step 4.
The .OV2 file does not contain any POI, or at least no POIs within the borders of the map.
Shutdown and restart TomTom Navigator, alternatively soft rest the PocketPC and then start TomTom Navigator.

Miscellaneous

If you wish to use spoken alerts (instead of the default beeps) on your copy of TomTom Navigator 5, then your can use the free PocketGPSWorld voices. The article can be found here. Please read it carefully before you start and ensure that you have a viable backup of your set-up (via Sprite Backup) and also a viable backup of your storage card (on a folder in your PC) in case anything goes wrong.

This post is a "living document" and thus will be updated as and when necessary.

Posts in this thread may be deleted, so as to keep the thread as short as possible. However relevant suggestions or questions (and their answers) will be added to this post.
jakerobinson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello,
maybe a dumb questiton - but does the camera database work with Palm Treo 650 (or only pocketpcs)? sorry, but I thought I saw it could be used by palm versions... can you direct me to any threads that help with downloading etc... for the palm...

cheers, Jake
7272Andy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi jakerobinson and Welcome to the forums Thumbs Up.

The short answer is yes, the database will work with palm devices (A quick search of the site gave me 49 hits for Treo).

You will need a card reader to load the files on to your device but it is a simple drag and drop process.

I'm sorry I can't be totally specific as you haven't stated which Sat Nav system you are using (e.g TomTom), or which camera file download you wish to use (e.g. UK- Speed Zoned Complete).

If you can let us have the specifics, we can get you up and running. :D

Andy
jakerobinson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Andy,
Thanks for that - I used my card reader and put my TomTomNav 5 SD card into it and followed the directions - I was a little fuzzy on what OV2 files were... anyway, I downloaded the 'speed zoned' version which downloads the speed limit of each camera 20,30,40 mph ect... I did a 'shift click' and highligted all of the files except for the readme and 2 others I think... I had the folder 'Great Britain Maps' open and just dragged and dropped them in... very simple.... loaded the sd card back into the treo and fired it up...

Next, I went to 'Change Prefs' and scrolled to 'Manage POIs" and click it...

Then click on 'Warn when near POI'

Then if you scroll down to the end of the categories you will see each speed camera icon for each speed and type of camera, temp, gatso, etc... for each one you need to click on it and it will walk you thru the process - it will give you the number of 'yards' you will be when the warning goes off - most were defaulted at 273 yards... probably safe not to get closer or the warning might be too late Wink

then hit done and it will take you to the different sound clips you can associate to different icons - I had many different to choose from...

I chose the whoooop, whoooop, whoooop (like a submarine diving!)

I also had ATM machines warning me with a Cow Moo (cash cow :P )

You can test and select each different sound clip

You can have speed cameras only warn 'if on route' - be careful - I chose to leave this unchecked as some cameras may be just off the road enough not to warn you... plus you see cameras near intersection of crossroads and oncoming lanes (other streets you may eventually be driving on..)

Anyway, if anyone needs more details, let me know...

thanks again Andy,

Cheers,

Jake
Mikeact
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest you ramp up the warning to at least 1000yards for all mobile cameras....these beasts can operate up to a mile away....trust me, my wife has the picture to prove...and she was driving away from the camera, not towrads it !

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 8 of 18

Jump to: