Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - StreetPilot i3 software version 3.00
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

StreetPilot i3 software version 3.00
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steveapp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: 2d / 3d ? Reply with quote

Coaster, I had done the same thing, i'd gone back to 2.7 to see if it was ok, and it gave me a near instant fix first time, which is why i was surprised yours took so long, when i first bought it and plugged it in, and when i bought my second, same thing, i was on a fix before I got out of the car park. Does the time vary area to area ?

On a different note - im now convinced its the 3d mode that causes the problems, its not too bad in 2.7, but still better on the 2d mode, but on version 3 there is a distinct difference in speed of update, especially in complex areas with lots on screen. I think the problem is less obvious in the navigation mode as the screen zooms in closer so there is less onscreen to update, and it has more of a hint where you are going.

But why in 3d mode more than 2d ? Well even though i feel its a pretty bad cop out of a 3d view, there is still a lot of calculation involved in creating the pseudo 3d effect, and probably a bit more memory used, i suspect they are just pushing the unit a little too hard, and it doesnt cope under certain cirumstances (maybe its running out of memory now?)

Couple this with the software perhaps having to work harder in certain areas to get a good fix, different areas having different mapping detail on screen, and i think i read somewhere the V8 maps are a little more compressed and therefore need more processor time to decompress, we are just asking a little too much of a very low end unit.

All that said its still probably the best unit on the market for my needs

Wow that was more than i meant to type!

Stephen
JinnanTonnix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear. My i3 went nuts earlier. It froze, then said something like "new elevation required" then went into night-mode at around 5:30pm. I could have done without this, as I was in an area I didn't know.

So I switched it off for a while then it came back telling me my maps were over a year old and inviting me to upgrade them. WTF?? It's got v8 maps, installed only a couple of months ago. Oh, and it stuck in night mode, hours before night was 'due'. I checked the display colour, it was still set to 'auto'.

I've had a few lock-ups with v3 before, but now it's still insisting that the maps are out of date. Hmmmm. Perhaps the v3 upgrade wasn't such a brilliant idea.

On the reliability front, is the consensus that 2.7 is the most stable release?
acefreecell
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad I think I might have an idea on the problems, I have got a trial version installed (v3) but going back to v2.7.

Ihave noticed with the speed camera database loaded (gpx) version, the unit tends to lock or have a white top when the camera pops into range whilst the unit is correcting its orientation. Setting the range down, and the unit does not lock. I am wondering if the gpx files are eating to much memory?

Tried with no cameras loaded and all is fine??????

Back to 2.7 as it works fine for me. Rolling Eyes

Motorola Defy with CamerAlert, NDrive 11, Co-Pilot Live and Google Maps

formally Garmin i3, Nuvi 200 and Origin BlueI
(Origin for sale)
Coaster2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm back on 2.7 in 3d mode and Ive just driven through Nottingham and back through all the places where v3 locks up. I now have no probs.

I'll stick to v2.7 until Garmin get it sorted out.
acefreecell
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you find that it locked up near speed cam locations? Just a question out of interest..... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

(Origin for sale)
Coaster2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No but it did at any major junction. I've just bought an aerial off eBay so I'll see if that makes a difference.
acefreecell
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coaster2 wrote:
No but it did at any major junction. I've just bought an aerial off eBay so I'll see if that makes a difference.

Thanks for that Coaster, it just blows my thoughts out that its the database playing tricks.

I am back on 2.7 and have no problems to date.

(Origin for sale)
JinnanTonnix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I "downgraded" to version 2.7, and the i3 is working superbly. No more lock-ups, freezes, or white screens.

My concerns about going back to 2.7 were the poor notice of up-coming roundabout maneuvers. (i.e. not knowing which lane to be in before you enter the roundabout - a real hassle at busy roundabouts). But, all seems fine with version 8 maps, I get much better warnings.

I'm sticking with v2.7 software.
Coaster2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does one go about checking which version map one has and, if necessary, downloading the version 8 maps?
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To check the map version go to Settings / Map / MapSource.

If you're on v7 you can get a free upgrade to v8. You have to send the card to Garmin. Details in this thread http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=36193
Samsung Galaxy S21
Coaster2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Anita.
matb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JinnanTonnix wrote:
My concerns about going back to 2.7 were the poor notice of up-coming roundabout maneuvers. (i.e. not knowing which lane to be in before you enter the roundabout - a real hassle at busy roundabouts). But, all seems fine with version 8 maps, I get much better warnings.

i have used 2.7 and beta 2.82 the later i have stuck with for one reason.

you get much better advanced warnings where the voice prompts are concerned.
see my sticky on firmware downloads and give the beta a try.
you can always go back to 2.7 :D
JinnanTonnix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matb wrote:
JinnanTonnix wrote:

i have used 2.7 and beta 2.82 the later i have stuck with for one reason.

you get much better advanced warnings where the voice prompts are concerned.
see my sticky on firmware downloads and give the beta a try.
you can always go back to 2.7 :D

I'll try that - cheers.
steveapp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject: 3.x beta ? Reply with quote

Ive seen posts about the 2.82 beta, though i never saw this (or any other beta) on the Garmin Site.

If V 3.00 is so bad is there a later Beta somewhere I / We could try ? and where should I be looking to see this ? Or is it only available to select few ?

Just curious
timber
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: 3.x beta ? Reply with quote

steveapp wrote:
Ive seen posts about the 2.82 beta, though i never saw this (or any other beta) on the Garmin Site.

If V 3.00 is so bad is there a later Beta somewhere I / We could try ? and where should I be looking to see this ? Or is it only available to select few ?

Just curious

Just put it on my web space download http://makeashorterlink.com/?X2D21352D and double click on the zip file and away you go any problems just give a shout Thumbs Up

The beta was available at the time of release for all on the garmin web site prior to the 2.90 release.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 12 of 16

Jump to: