Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Famous voices and their pictures
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Famous voices and their pictures
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

happyhero wrote:
I always used to use the extention but because I never see it these days I tend to miss it off. A good example of this is when I save a word document, I never bother with the extention and it always know what to do with the file but TOMTOM couldn't do the same it seemed, have I got that right?

NO! (sorry, but I have a bee in my bonnet about this one Wink )

Windows ALWAYS saves with the file extension (eg ".doc" for word files) but by default, it hides that from you, the user.
The problems begin when you use Windows to prepare files for a completely different operating system (eg Linux, which the TomTom uses).
Loads of people have had difficulties getting splash screens to work on their Go's, because the instructions say to call the file "splash.bmp" but because of Windows "trying to help", they have called it either "splash" or "splash.bmp.bmp" by mistake.
PatC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or splashw.bmp on the *10. And presumably Linux would be case sensitive too, so Splash.bmp wouldn't work either.
happyhero
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok cheers got all that but what about the bit thing I mentioned earlier and the file becoming 3 times the size with no gain what happens to the extra kb?
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

happyhero wrote:
Ok cheers got all that but what about the bit thing I mentioned earlier and the file becoming 3 times the size with no gain what happens to the extra kb?

Nothing unless the display can take advantage of the extra colour depth. Liken it to playing a stero soundtrack on a mono device.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picture with 256 colours with each pixel described as an 8-bit word:

eg. 10010111

Same pixel described as a 24 bit word:

so the capability is now there for many more colours, but if that particular picture unly uses 256 colours, saving it as 24 bit will just describe those same colours with a set of longer numbers, thus bigger file size.
Tbrock1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, maybe you could give me some insight to pictures. I have a TTgo300 and when I add the pictures for the custom voices they dont display on the TT as a good color picture. I have tried various color choices 256 and true color. They look fine on the PC but not on the TT. I changed the splash screen picture and it looks fine. Also the John Cleese picture looks okay. Its hard to describe but they just look like lower quality pictures on the TT. Its not a big deal, just a HMMM.

Thanks for any help
Tom

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: