Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - [i3] Curly / coiled power leads?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

[i3] Curly / coiled power leads?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spannman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HELLO ANITA I SAID HELLO, Wink
TURN IT DOWN !! by the way I found this http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/product/6583.htm
it might help it's a universal charger with loadsa power and you can use it to power various things by just changing the end connector ie your phone your garmin ,mp3etc
BUT it's expensive ( HOW MUCH 8O !!!)
LET ME KNOW HOW THE RETRACTABLE ONE GOES ( don't tell me, IN, on it's own ) Coz I'm interested in one for myself.But the curly one'll do as a spare or to leave in one of the cars
Let me know on OUR forum !! 8)
THANKS NORM
spannman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S.
I'm suprised 8O you've got time to go out ,to need a garmin, coz you always seem to be on your computer !! HA Wink
I'll shut up now, bye, NORM
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi NORM,

spannman wrote:
HELLO ANITA I SAID HELLO, Wink

PARDON Wink

Quote:
by the way I found this http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/product/6583.htm . . . BUT it's expensive ( HOW MUCH !!!)

No more expensive than the two retractables I ordered for the i3 and the phone Sad But it's no good for me. The Samsung D600 isn't included in the list of compatable phones, and I'd be sure to lose the tips anyway!

I'll let you know about the retractables. I intend to leave the curly one in the car as a spare too.

Quote:
I'm suprised you've got time to go out to need a garmin, coz you always seem to be on your computer !! HA

I get this comment from friends all the time. I find plenty of time to go out - just none to do the housework, cut the grass etc. It's a good job I'm divorced Laughing
Samsung Galaxy S21
spannman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita Exclamation
Funny that I've just cut the grass, but I'm gonna marry that woman off the garmin She's ACE never complains when I drive too fast Driving (just bings a bit ) and the best bit is she never argues when I take the wrong turn Angel
She just says 'RECALCULATING' :D and I've REALLY tried to annoy her Evil or Very Mad by going totally the wrong way and she still gets me there, BLISS. BUT the best Bit is, if she does get snotty she's got this great button, It's called the her OFF switch!! Twisted Evil
I won't be arround for the next few days coz I'm lookin after a couple of cars on the british rally championship at the weekend so I'm not ignoring you if you reply .But let me know about the retractable coz I want to know how long it is when it comes ;-; didn't mean that how it sounded !! Embarassed NORM
DracUK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need the ORIGINAL Motorola v3 charger with the M logo that lights up when inserted into charging socket.
Works 100% with my c320 might be different for i3 though

This one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Original-Motorola-VC700-In-Car-Charger-V3-V3x-V3i-PEBL_W0QQitemZ9724241057QQcategoryZ20352QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

DracUK
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would appear that the cheaper leads can barely supply enough current - here's a couple of things to try:

1. Reduce the volume to 4.
2. Reduce the brightness to 1.
3. Use standard GPS only, ie: disable EGNOS.
4. Install batteries.

I need to run my i3 at volume 5 (noisy car), but with batteries in as well this is not a problem.

I occassionally get the "bli-blip" sound when I press a button (as the unit momentarily switches to batteries and back again - but the change is so quick the screen doesn't switch to the "lost external power" countdown screen) - so not really a problem. Navigation commands and camera warnings are totally unaffected.

Plus, keeping batteries in it reduces acquisition times.

I've tried this with a couple of leads and they behave identically.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ash10: Thanks for the advice.
As I'd like to keep the volume on 5 if possible, I'll try reducing the brightness. I've been using the standard GPS and have batteries installed all the time, but it doesn't seem to switch to batteries quickly, just cycles through start-up/shut-down several times. It does eventually stay on (the batteries kicking in?) - until I press the scroll wheel. I'll try using freshly charged batteries and see what happens, although I suppose I might just as well run it on batteries and not plug the lead in!

NORM: The retractable lead extends to 42". It is much finer than the original or the curly lead, which it would have to be to retract into the small unit. I wonder how long it will last?
It behaves exactly the same as the curly one. Sad It is much neater though. I particularly wanted it, and the mobile phone one I got, for a holiday in Ireland next month. Ryanair has a very measly luggage allowance, and they are so much smaller and lighter than the originals, and will easily slip into a handbag.
Hope the rally went well.
Samsung Galaxy S21
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
I'll try using freshly charged batteries and see what happens, although I suppose I might just as well run it on batteries and not plug the lead in!

Remember that the i3 is slightly quieter on batteries than external power - if you resign yourself to batteries, you might as well use the power lead with volume 4... Confused
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ash10 wrote:
Anita wrote:
I'll try using freshly charged batteries and see what happens, although I suppose I might just as well run it on batteries and not plug the lead in!

Remember that the i3 is slightly quieter on batteries than external power - if you resign yourself to batteries, you might as well use the power lead with volume 4... Confused

Hadn't thought of that! Thanks!
Samsung Galaxy S21
nick052
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Just to add to this, I bought this one:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20352&item=5869843344

which is "MOTOROLA IN CAR CHARGER FOR V3 PEBL L6 L7"

Had no problems whatsoever power wise.

Yes, the coiled lead is quite short but its better than the one that comes with the unit - plus if you disconnect everything then overstretch the coils out carefully holding onto both ends, it is possible to get it just the right length.

Very pleased with my £2.75 purchase and would recommend it.
markjohnson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought this one with the retractable lead

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/product/6446.htm

While it powers my Nuvi OK it puts the Nuvi in host mode for file transfer so I can't use it for Navigation. Anyone want to buy it for £10 inc postage. Original receipt included! Email me at dork@dork.co.uk if you do.

Kind regards,

Mark
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

markjohnson wrote:
I bought this one with the retractable lead

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/product/6446.htm

While it powers my Nuvi OK it puts the Nuvi in host mode for file transfer so I can't use it for Navigation. Anyone want to buy it for £10 inc postage. Original receipt included! Email me at dork@dork.co.uk if you do.

Kind regards,

Mark

In case anyone's interested in Mark's offer, that's the one I bought. Works fine with the i3 in Navigation mode (so far!) as long as the volume is set to 4 or lower. Lead extends to 42" and is much finer than the original. It's very neat in use, and fits easily in a handbag or pocket.
Samsung Galaxy S21
Beerbellybill999
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one from Tesco for £4.97 . works great at Full brightness and volume and has a neat curly lead.
nick052
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to my post above, it seems my £2.75 purchase is not so great cos stretching the wire has broken the connector at the end (although thankfully not on the i3 itself).

Any more details on the £4.75 one from Tesco (e.g. model etc)?

Cheers.
nick052
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..Apart from the fact its £4.97 and not £4.75...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: