Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - tom tom on 2 pda's
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

tom tom on 2 pda's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
antonini
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 7:01 am    Post subject: tom tom on 2 pda's Reply with quote

hi all....I recently bought an acer n30 with destinator 3 and a dell axim with tom tom 5. After getting all the speed cameras and voices working on both my partner has decided she prefers tom tom to destinator. I bought a new memory card for the acer and installed tom tom etc but it is asking me for an activation code. I have the product code and have tried the tom tom site but it comes up with 3 different device codes....none of which are the one showing on the acer. Does anyone know how to get over this problem......as on the tom tom site...it says "one version to one pda".....otherwise I have just wasted £20 on a new memory card!! If I copy the contents of the card from the dell to the acer card....will this work??
cheers
Toni
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you are trying to do is illegal. One copy for one PDA is the rule. Any more is theft. TT have copy protected their software to try to stop that theft

The way round this is for your wife to buy a legitimate copy of TT for her own use.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
antonini
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: tom tom Reply with quote

yes I can see your point........but as the tom tom I have is not an illegal copy and belongs to me......surely I should be allowed to do what I want with it as long as I don't pass it on to someone else...
any idea why it lists 3 different device codes for my product code on the tom tom website....??
I have read somewhere in the threads that you can install several times within 7 days of activation and then every 6 months.....do you know anything about that??
how do these people that are selling pda's on e bay with hookey copies get over it then??
seems like I've just wasted £22 then on a new memory card....

cheers
Toni
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am afraid it does not work like that - to use your argument as its "yours" "doing what you like with it" could include copying and selling to others. In any event by putting it on your wife's machine as well as yours you are indeed "passing it on to somebody else" as you put it.

In fact you do not own the software at all, you only have a licence to use it (as is the same by the way with nearly all the software you use on your computer). The terms of that licence are that you can only use it on one machine and the licence is not transferrable to anybody else. If you change your PDA you can move the software over to the new unit, with some assistance from Tom Tom.

Those "hooky" copies on ebay are illegal. It is against the forum rules to discuss making illegal copies of software, even if others would be willing to tell you.

If you have no other use for the SD card then you probably have wasted £22.
Copilot for USA
antonini
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: steady on Reply with quote

cor blimey mate.....take it easy.......I was only asking!!
everyone else has been so helpful to me getting the speed cameras and things working on both pda's...................I thought it worth a try in asking.........I'm sorry I did now!!!!

Toni
junger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: theft of tom tom software Reply with quote

hi all
I am amazed at the coments of Peter_C, re software theft.
I bought two copies of ' tom tom 5 navigator' in Dec 2005, my collegue then informed me that his pda had broken and that he had no use for the software I contacted tom tom for a partial refund on the unroken sealed software box and guess what thier answer was, so do me a favour, get a life and come into the real world, this forum is for help, not morality, because that is a risk for each individual, isn't it?
antonini
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: got an answer....... Reply with quote

hi....got my answer from tom tom and it said can be installed to one pda only........as I figured!!
managed to do it anyway.........found some threads about it on another forum........and it worked....!!

cheers anyway

Toni
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if I upset people by setting out the legal position. There has been plenty of debate about copyright ownership in software and performing arts. Plenty of people are happy to download illegal copies of CDs and videos without considering it to be theft. There was even one post on these forums a few weeks ago boasting that he didn't need to pay for the camera database on this site because he could download it for free from certain download sites.

So the problem is where do you draw the line? Is it OK to take one copy for your wife but not OK to takes several and sell them on Ebay? Some would say that that is like saying is it OK to steal somebody else's TV (or sat nav system) as long you are going to use it yourself and not sell it on? Smile

Whether or not Tom Tom "deserve" to be robbed - and I would agree that many of their actions seem designed to antagonise their customers - is another matter. On the other hand my bank is being real b*****ds at the moment with me. Does that give me the right to get a shotgun and hold them up? Smile

Oh and by the way the rules of this forum say
"Discussion of illegal activities such as software piracy and other intellectual property violations are not allowed"
Copilot for USA
lupos0_1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterc10 wrote:

So the problem is where do you draw the line? Is it OK to take one copy for your wife but not OK to takes several and sell them on Ebay? Some would say that that is like saying is it OK to steal somebody else's TV (or sat nav system) as long you are going to use it yourself and not sell it on? Smile

Stop it!
Latest Maps
(Internal GPS)
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lupos0_1, you are not helpful.

As peterc10 has said, we do not want you to discuss illegal activities in our forums.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
antonini
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: ooooppppssss..........sorry guys!!! Reply with quote

I seem to have stirred up a bit of a hornets nest here with my original "innocent" question!!

I apologise for this as I did not know that what I was trying to do was illegal in the first place...............don't want to cause a problem on the forums!!

Toni

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: