Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom GO 700 problem blamed on camera database?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom GO 700 problem blamed on camera database?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AntonyD
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: TomTom GO 700 problem blamed on camera database? Reply with quote

I am having problems with my TomTom GO 700. Whilst in its cradle (and connected to my car battery) it periodically turns itself off. If I press the on button the unit comes on again but will often turn itself off after a period of time (unit is fully charged). A soft reset has not fixed the issue. TomTom support have suggested that camera databases have been known to cause this type of problem and suggested removing the camea database! I have removed the databas else they will not accept for repair. have also performed a factory reset. Any comments, has anyone else expericenced this type of problem with the TomTom?

Thanks

Tony
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see how installing custom POIs (which TT is supposed to work with) can cause this problem Certainly been OK so far with my wife's TT700.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The software is designed to support custom POI's - saying this is affecting the unit may be true (But VERY unlikely) but either way it's Tom Tom's issue.

Making you remove it seems a bit pointless as they will probably restore it anyway. Anyway it's easier to blame somebody else than take responsibility.

Do you have the custom sounds loaded as well?

Chris
HappyTrucker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antony,

This might be a daft question, but how exactly is your unit connected to the car battery? Is it hard wired in i.e. professionally fitted, or using the 12/24v charger cable to the cigarette lighter?

I only ask because if you lose the power connection from the charger cable, the unit (well, the 910 does) turns itself off. So if you go over a bump and the cable jogs loose your 700 will probably switch off. If it's hard wired in, it's possible you could be having a similar problem if the wiring connections have worked loose. I'd check the wiring / charger before sending it in to TomTom for a repair. You never know.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HappyTrucker wrote:
Antony,

I only ask because if you lose the power connection from the charger cable, the unit (well, the 910 does) turns itself off. So if you go over a bump and the cable jogs loose your 700 will probably switch off. .

Same with TT700 - so will be worth checking
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
HappyTrucker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone heard from AntonyD as to whether his problem got sorted?

I keep getting this picture of him going for a drive to the back of beyond and the TT switching off leaving him stranded in the middle of nowhere, unable to find his way back 8O

If you're about Antony, let us know how it's going.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: