Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Update on the CP6 patch
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Update on the CP6 patch
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
matt1971
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PONDEROUS wrote:
The keyboard is still not sorted out. If the Copilot keyboard is selected and Copilot then exited, the Copilot keyboard remains when another application, e.g. Pocket Excel, is started, and it is necessary to go back into Copilot to get rid of it.

...i use total commander and in this app you can still see the input selections thus allowing you to change to your preferred input method.

It used to default back to keyboard which was better than leaving it as the copilot keyboard!!
pgamble
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys

I know this doesn't help with the broken tts - ALK support are in a real state at the moment - but it will resolve keyboard issues.

All you need to do is go into the registry search for :

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/CLSID/BF0DF259-

In this,

Default Icon - \Windows\ALKIM.dll,0
INprocserver32 - \Windows\ALKIM.dll
Issipinputmethod - 1
CoPilot Keyboard

Change this to

Default Icon - \Windows\msim.dll,0
INprocserver32 - \Windows\msim.dll
Issipinputmethod - 1
CoPilot Keyboard (Replaced)

You will then have the normal keyboard you have - if you are using the Tweaks2k2 skin - you will see this instead.

This works before and after the patch.

Cheers

Paul.
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ponderous

In my case, with Windows 2003 (first edition), yes the initial symptoms are as you describe, but from there quite different.

Once CoPilot has initially installed, yes the systemwide input method is changed to 'fat finger', but if you click the small 'up arrow' in the very right hand bottom corner in anything other than CoPilot, and select 'keyboard' (or whatever you normally have it set to) everything will return to normal.

I agree that it may not be ideal, but it is (in this case) possibly a restriction forced by the input method being part of the OS, rather than any problem created by ALK. It will be interesting to see if people with differrrent versions of the OS will try my observations in Windows 2003 (first edition) and see if their experiences are the same. (Hint hint)

It may well be, that this turns out to be the price we have to pay to have the 'Fat finger' keyboard available systemwide, and for the other input methods to be easily available in CoPilot.

To summarise:
I have found that if you go into the Language and Speech screen and leave it by pressing 'Cancel' your input method elsewhere will not change.

If you leave by pressing 'OK', whatever the input method is set to, will be applied as the default for everything.

So beware, you can change the default input method in the other applications whithout actually making any changes to it in CoPilot!

With one exception; if you make a change to the input method anywhere, that change will be applied universally. The one exception being where CoPilot already has the 'Fat Finger' keyboard; when the change to the input method in any other application will be applied to everything except CoPilot.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thanks, Neil01.

If I understand correctly, you are suggesting that if I have the OS keyboard selected, then I can select Copilot keyboard then (rather than OK) and it will give me the OS keyboard in, say, a spreadsheet programme. In my case, this simply it simply reverts to OS keyboared - within Copilot. Would that be to do with my WM 2003 being a second edition, while yours is a first edition?

To make matters a little clearer, I should say that I can select any input method for another application on startup. However, I am stuck with the Copilot keyboard once I activate it. The problem is that the input method selection arrow is obscured by the Copilot keyboard, so there is no way out but to run Copilot.

Why would I want to change keyboards while running an application? For several reasons, not least of which is that the CP keyboard is short of facilities, and that it covers up dialogue boxes in some applications.

Is there no way in which a window can be left in the bottom right-hand corner of the CP keyboard to accommodate the input method selector? If not, I would prefer it if ALK were to design a fat-finger keyboard that is adequate for the job (actually, they need to do that in any case); then perhaps users would not be so keen to use other input methods.
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this help.

So far as the OS is concerned, if you are in CoPilot and leave the 'Language and speech' screen using 'OK' the input method on the screen when you leave is applied systemwide.

If you change the input method anywhere else, the selected input method is also applied systemwide, with the exception where CoPilot is currently set to use the 'Fat finger' keyboard which it will keep.

I agree that there are issues when using the CoPilot keyboard in other applications, particularly when you try to change it to something else. Rather than launch CoPilot, I would simply go to a screen (such as settings) where the input method is initially hidden and change it there.

As to the functioning of the fat fingered keyboard, I understand that it is much better when used in landscape mode, unfortunately this is not an option with my equipment so I cannot confirm it.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neil01. Thanks. I didn't know about the input method selector under the OS Settings and, of course, it certainly does help.
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005
Paul-m
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought i would add my comments

I upgraded on Tuesday to 6.0.1.68 and so far so good. Im using an iPAQ hX4700 with WM5.

I must admit i never exoerienced the keyboard issues. I use the default in CP6 and i never needed to change it when using other apps. In other words if i use pocket excel or PIE then if keyboard input is required the WM5 default keyboard appears. This even happens if i put CP6 in the background.

Also i have no issues with TTS or WAV. Im currently running TTS which seems to work fine. The camera warnings are using the built in standard WAV though followed by a ding-dong alarm when very close to the camera.
Searcher22
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Crash and burn ! Reply with quote

I did my update and and it went fine - the one oddity I noticed was that the announcements for certain upcoming directional advice had the first sentence in one female voice and the second a fraction of a second later in another female voice, odd?

However, later in the day I had a major problem. WM5 threw up its critical low memory warning and the fact that this happened after a few hours of CoPliot Sat Nav guidance made me think of the way Win98se ground to a halt with some programs causing a memory leak.

Checking the main storage memory it was down to 0.05MB, now I was sure that before installing the patch I had 30MB free. Bearing in mind that up until the patch install, all well with my Loox N560 and the original CP6 installation I can only put this behaviour down to the patch.

The result of this problem was that neither a soft or cold boot restored it, I had to do a factory hard reset. What pain that was Crying or Very sad

I have put a support question to FSC about this but as no else has reported anything similar here it looks like I am the only one?

Apart from reporting the "crash" to them I also asked if CP6 can be installed to the SD memory card instead of the device memory? Anyone know if that is possible? I hope so because if the issue is memory demand & not a leak type fault then I will need to run on/from the card as that is 2GB compared to the few MB a PPC has spare even if run frugally.

Smile
matt1971
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Crash and burn ! Reply with quote

Searcher22 wrote:
Apart from reporting the "crash" to them I also asked if CP6 can be installed to the SD memory card instead of the device memory? Anyone know if that is possible? I hope so because if the issue is memory demand & not a leak type fault then I will need to run on/from the card as that is 2GB compared to the few MB a PPC has spare even if run frugally.Smile

Hi,

I have only ever put CP6 on a storage card. Before the patch I used to put Pocket speech in the main memory - but now its all on the SD card.

No wonder you ran out of memory!!

Matt
Searcher22
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Matt

Thanks for the feedback.

If ALK have changed the way memory is used then that is worrying because, as I said, before the patch it was fine.

The one thing I am unsure about is "persistent memory" my Loox N560 has that mentioned in its spec but I am unclear whether that is WM5 only or also hardware dependent. If both soft and hardware then I wonder if in making the patch it is now incompatible in certain WM5 PPCs Question
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Searcher22 wrote:
Hi Matt

Thanks for the feedback.

If ALK have changed the way memory is used then that is worrying because, as I said, before the patch it was fine.

The one thing I am unsure about is "persistent memory" my Loox N560 has that mentioned in its spec but I am unclear whether that is WM5 only or also hardware dependent. If both soft and hardware then I wonder if in making the patch it is now incompatible in certain WM5 PPCs Question

You have to bear in mind that installation on the SD card is the recommended norm. As program and data size increases, any non-absolutely essential use of the PPCs main memory will eventually cause issues. This was a relatively major patch which even added functions (i.e. new speed camera reporting) - this might have just been sufficient to tip the scales from PPC main memory installation being possible (although not recommended) to marginal, or even not possible.

However, if you still have issues when only the minimum footprint is in the PPCs main memory that is another matter.
matt1971
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

My M5000 after a fresh soft reset has about 27MB program memory free.

Launching Copilot, planning a relatively complex trip (170miles) and exiting and then quickly checking memory my program memory available drops to 9MB but returns to about 25MB shortly after.

I think a general rule of thumb - if the app adds today plugins or changes/enhances anything system related install to main memory - anything else put on the SD.

For Example only programs I have in main memory are apreminder+, avantgo, magic button, phonealarm, small menu plus, spb weather and total commander (this could go on SD).

Matt
Rubberman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to offer a suggestion. This Topic is getting somewhat cumbersome as it encompasses many different problems with the new CP6 Patch. I think if we culled out certain areas of interest; i.e. TTS Problems with the CP6 Patch, or Keyboard Problems with CP6 Patch, etc. we might be able to focus on solutions to the individual problems and possibly get ALK's attention in answering them. Any support for this approach?

Regards,
G.W. Quigley
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, to get things going I have started the following thread for the new safety alerts:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=219292#219292

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: