Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Any problems with the French Gendarme (Police) confiscating?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Any problems with the French Gendarme (Police) confiscating?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CharlieG
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject: Italian Speed Cameras Reply with quote

Hi,

Does anyone know of any problems with the speed camera database in Italy?
Dest 6, Maps of Europe, Memory Map Navigator (Europe Edition)
GlobalSat SDI0 SD-501 GPS, BT GPS
TT BT GPS, Inforad
mrzipy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course you could just stick to the speed limit, and there would not be a problem, or do you plan to take extra care where speed cameras are located because they may be accident black spots?

Why can people accept that speed cameras only enforce the speed limit, if you are speeding then how can you argue with a fine... If you don't want to police to make money from speed cameras DON'T SPEED - it's that simple.
CharlieG
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 12:15 am    Post subject: Italian Speed Cameras Reply with quote

I always try to stay below the speed limit but like everyone else I am fallible and sometimes the speed does creep up a little. A warning to make an extra check is always valuable
Dest 6, Maps of Europe, Memory Map Navigator (Europe Edition)
GlobalSat SDI0 SD-501 GPS, BT GPS
TT BT GPS, Inforad
MR_TiGGer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAve to agree with the last couple of replies, get a ticket over here is 3 points. But get into bother for speeding in any foriegn country could be a whole world of trouble, when dealing with the police.
I'm guessing in France the police don't have a sense of humour when dealing with UK plated cars, it's not like we're popular over there.
Don't risk it, follow the Camping & Caravanning guide, stick thin strips of white lines on your speedo marking the different speed limits in the country you're driving in.

Final thought, you can hardly afford to have a lapse of concentration in a country where you're constantly on "The Wrong Side of the Road"
forget the speed limits, the risk of a serious accident due to a slight lapse is huge.

I've driven in france a fair few times, and untill I've been driving for an hour or so, it's the worst feeling in the world 8O

Forget the camera database, just drive quietly and don't flash people to let them out of a junction ...... I found out it means the exact opposite to us in the UK Wink
PatC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MR_TiGGer wrote:
Final thought, you can hardly afford to have a lapse of concentration in a country where you're constantly on "The Wrong Side of the Road"
forget the speed limits, the risk of a serious accident due to a slight lapse is huge.

And anyone who has driven around the centre of Paris will know that you are too busy trying to stay alive to concentrate on what a satnav may be telling you - even if you are accustomed to driving on the right.
mrzipy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe speed cameras have a tolerance on speed ie. a 50 MPH camera may be set to 60 MPH, therefore you'd have to more than creep past the speed limit to set it off.

Seriously for UK anyway you should not be driving if you can't concentrate on driving at the correct speed, you fail your driving test for speeding.
MR_TiGGer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrzipy wrote:
I believe speed cameras have a tolerance on speed ie. a 50 MPH camera may be set to 60 MPH, therefore you'd have to more than creep past the speed limit to set it off.

Seriously for UK anyway you should not be driving if you can't concentrate on driving at the correct speed, you fail your driving test for speeding.

Somewhere on this thread or forum, it's mentioned that French cameras have a very low tolerance, probably in the same region as all cameras in Blackpool. 8O
I can say for sure that these ones are bang on the legal limit of speed limit + 10% +2MPH, so 35MPH in Blackpool will get you a double flash.

But I think your comment about concentrating on driving at the right speed is slightly on the "High moral ground" and unless you've "Never" crossed the speed limit, rather naughty to say such a thing Wink
mrzipy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't claim I have never gone over the speed limit, the point is I have always know when I am...
deesoft
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject: Speed and Concentration Reply with quote

To mrzipy, does this mean that you are SO busy watching your speedo that you never look at the road??

God gave us the Integer, the rest was devised by man.
andrewh
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MR_TiGGer wrote:
HAve to agree with the last couple of replies, get a ticket over here is 3 points. But get into bother for speeding in any foriegn country could be a whole world of trouble, when dealing with the police.

Spending almost all my time on the continent and having had quite a few run ins with various police forces, I think that this is completely false. You will get a fine, have to pay it there and then if you have foreign registered car and then you can go on your way. If you are WAY over the limit (like 160+ in a 130) then they might treat you rather badly but you probably deserve it. Just be nice and admit fault sraight away.

I have TT on a Palm and have never had a probelm with it in France but that does not mean they will not jump at someone else.

Andrew
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MR_TiGGer wrote:
and don't flash people to let them out of a junction ...... I found out it means the exact opposite to us in the UK

Actually this means exactly the same as it means in the UK. It warns another motorist of your presence. Read the Highway Code. For some reason in the UK, over a number of years, the headlamp flash has unofficially become a signal meaning "you go first mate". It's wrong and it can cause danger, because people travelling behind you cannot tell that you have flashed someone out and may try to overtake you, thinking you want to stop, thereby being involved in an accident.

Regularly absent, but still here in spirit !
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Police driver once told me, that flashing your lights means exactly the same as sounding your horn, which is, as a previous poster said 'I am here' no more, or no less.
mrzipy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Speed and Concentration Reply with quote

deesoft wrote:
To mrzipy, does this mean that you are SO busy watching your speedo that you never look at the road??

You don't need to watch your speedo all the time to know what speed your doing, don't you learn maintaining a speed on your driving lessons?

I have a C4 anyway so I don't need to look away from the road to see the speedo.
mrzipy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neil01 wrote:
A Police driver once told me, that flashing your lights means exactly the same as sounding your horn, which is, as a previous poster said 'I am here' no more, or no less.

I believe that is what it says in the highway code.
MR_TiGGer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

999tommo wrote:
MR_TiGGer wrote:
and don't flash people to let them out of a junction ...... I found out it means the exact opposite to us in the UK

Actually this means exactly the same as it means in the UK. It warns another motorist of your presence. Read the Highway Code. For some reason in the UK, over a number of years, the headlamp flash has unofficially become a signal meaning "you go first mate". It's wrong and it can cause danger, because people travelling behind you cannot tell that you have flashed someone out and may try to overtake you, thinking you want to stop, thereby being involved in an accident.

I know what the highway code says, but in the real world on the roads of Great Britain, it's become a sign of courtesy and a thank you in the cases of commercial traffic.
My point was that mindset is the opposite in Europe "Stay out of my way or I'll crash into you" Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: