Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Can CP6 be used purely as a camera warning device?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Can CP6 be used purely as a camera warning device?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Searcher22 wrote:
...I had a difficult time getting the support desk guy to understand the question but when he did grasp the concept of having the POIs announced even if one was not driving a "trip" he seemed genuinely surprised that they did not already do so!...

I find it rather worrying when the support staff don't have a comprehensive understanding of the product - something I have had my suspicions about during my dealings with some of them.
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before anyone says anything, I have just re-read my post and it doesn't unambiguously convey what I was trying to say.

I was referring to support staff in general, rather than to ALK in particular.
Searcher22
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi neil

I am unsure where geographically I had been put through to because the guy sounded French and I did not catch his name. Whatever his nationality I presumed English was not his mother tongue and therefore him not grasping the question properly could have been due to that.

Smile
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean about mother tongues and help desks, I have even been put through to help desks in India, even when local knowledge is essential, so much so that staff from Birmingham or Bristol would have little chance of being able to deal with a problem in Cheltenham! Sometimes I wonder if so far as help desk staff are concerned, knowledge is a dirty word - robots able to follow scripts being the desired comodity.

In ALKs case, I too once got through to a French Gentleman, however his English and understanding of the product were exemplary; a real pleasure to deal with.

I accept that in your case, there may have been an excuse for the delay in understanding the question, but for not understanding the product - I that is quite another matter.
KenS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neil01 wrote:
I attach the exact wording of the reply I received from ALK :
...the NEAR ROUTE option will alert you to POI's that are within 0.5 miles of your present location (off the current road you are driving on). e.g. if you are travelling North, then you will receive a notification of any petrol stations that are within 0.5 miles East or West of your location within the distance you have specified for the alert (north).

With ON ROUTE, the POI has to be physically on the road you are driving and not positioned off on a side road like some supermarket garages are. Ultimately it depends on how the data has been recorded by NAVTEQ and where the actual physical address lies for the garage or POI.

I hope this explains a little better how our POI Notification system works...

However, my own experience would sugest that with 'on route' this is not quite the case - there may be a small margin; and with the inherrent inacuracy of GPS I would have thought that it would be rather difficult to be that accurrate - certainly with the Pocket GPS database which in theory would not be reported even if only a few feet out. The cameras would have to be recorded with an accurracy much higher than the equipment used to record them (ie us with our pocket GPS) is capable of.

A quick look in preferences.cfg shows that "On Route" is actually within 0.107680 miles which is about 190 yards.

HP iPAQ h2210 ROM 1.10.07 ENG
Windows CE 4.20
Sandisk Ultra II SD 512Mb
Haicom 303MMF and BT-401 slipper
Copilot Live 6.0.0.68
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KenS wrote:
A quick look in preferences.cfg shows that "On Route" is actually within 0.107680 miles which is about 190 yards.

Thanks for that - this is exactly the information I asked ALK for, but as you can see from the reply didn't get. All I need now is confirmation on how far NEAR ROUTE actually is.
KenS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neil01 wrote:

Thanks for that - this is exactly the information I asked ALK for, but as you can see from the reply didn't get. All I need now is confirmation on how far NEAR ROUTE actually is.

By the same method the Near Route is exactly 0.5 miles

HP iPAQ h2210 ROM 1.10.07 ENG
Windows CE 4.20
Sandisk Ultra II SD 512Mb
Haicom 303MMF and BT-401 slipper
Copilot Live 6.0.0.68
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KenS wrote:
neil01 wrote:

By the same method the Near Route is exactly 0.5 miles

Thanks - it appears that they got that information correct.
Searcher22
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All

I got this 'official' feedback from ALK

"Unfortunately It is not possible to get a voice notification without planning a trip as the POIs are route dependent. The POI alerts are either on or near a specified route, but CoPilot has to calculate in advance which route this is."

I will be suggesting such a function as a feature request 8)
Paul-m
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The behaviour is as ALK state. No warnings unless you have a route. one work around might be to always have a route planned to home.
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul-m wrote:
The behaviour is as ALK state. No warnings unless you have a route. one work around might be to always have a route planned to home.

Unfortunately, that only covers a maximum of half your journeys, but it is a start.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume that this workaround is suggested tongue-in-cheek. If the sound is switched on, which seems reasonable to assume given that the requirement is for a speed camera warning device, then a stream of turn instructions would have to be disregarded.

Paul-m's suggestion does lead to another one, though, and one that might enable ALK to provide the facility relatively easily. If the sound could be turned off to everything except the POI alerts, it would work quite well, albeit that a route would need to be set every time.
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005
Searcher22
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am no programmer and I was once told a long time ago that something that seems very simple to the layman can more often than not be one heck of job.

But IMHO Laughing the POIs are route related in that the route determinator 'sees' what POIs are coimg up in the selected catagories and whether they are "on or near the route". So why can't ALK code CP such that if no Route is selected but POIs are set to announce then it defaults to "on route" announcements ~ it matters not if they are on an adjacent road as any POI announcement is to alert you to something coming up & surely especially in the case of the safety (?) cameras just knowing there is one around should be enough to raise the drivers state of alertness to beware of 'problems'.

Note - if I am running out of fuel in an unfamiliar area that is not part of my route then I for one would find it beneficial to be told where and how close the next one is!! Another logical reason for such feature - want another, what about Hospitals and tourist places etc etc.

Just my extra 2p's worth.

Smile
Searcher22
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All

An interesting update to share.

1) I have found that since the update patch CP now does announce safety cameras whilst driving a non routed journey. However because of the new type of announcements I surmise that the couple of warning I had were for mobile cameras because I did not see any at the warning bell. I need to try again on a longer journey to see what happens. Oh, that warning bell does come rather late!

2) Though I did not spot it before there is now a safety camera tick box under custom POI - not sure what that is supposed to do as CP uses a different method now.

3) Not sure (think it neil01) that tried to rename the multi file Database - it would be good to have specific speed or camera types announced. Must check that thread and see for myself (maybe).

4) In respect of the patch update - I am so pleased I can now use the qwerty key layout. the hunt and 'peck' of the big finger pad was driving me nuts Laughing

5) The turn left/right just ahead is still appalling - at normal road speed you are just passing the corner....! Is there a setting adjustment? I could find one.

Smile
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Searcher22 wrote:
3) Not sure (think it neil01) that tried to rename the multi file Database - it would be good to have specific speed or camera types announced. Must check that thread and see for myself (maybe).

Guilty as charged, however my success was limited. I have never successfully loaded the 23 (46 if you include the bmp ones too) files, but have managed to load the ones by type. I now have a representation of the type of camera on the map (if only the icon could be incorporated into the yellow panel too - surely not too difficult)

Unfortunately my original assumption that the speed displayed in the yellow panel was the speed limit, has turned out to be incorrect - it is your current speed. In my defence I would say that it was not obvious from the demo mode I used for testing, and that I have stated in the forums that I was using the demo mode for initial testing, which could affect any results/observations.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: