Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Problems with TomTom Nav 2 + Ipaq1940
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems with TomTom Nav 2 + Ipaq1940
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
treefrog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This ties in very well with this thread:

http://www.pocketpcpassion.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=192827#post192827

Basically, it confirms what you've said above. I'd love to know what SD card you get working in the 1940, because I've got the same problem with my 1940 and Sandisk card (now sent back).

Dave
Jerry70
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,
Yesterday I showed to my reseller 8O the e-mail sent to me by TOMTOM Customer support (which finally gave me a feedback after sending them an angry fax....), stating these problems with Sandisk coming from China.
My reseller has changed the Sandisk SD 256 right yesterday, with another one, as he had not any other brand for that MB size.

Well, also this new Sandisk SD card (made in China) does not work at all. Looking the posts in the forum you highlighted, I feel quite surprised how this problem is widespreading .
In any case, my reseller has just ordered a lot of 256 mb card (Lexar), that will be given to me in case of fault of the substituted one (as it actually happened!).
The 256MB Lexar SD Card costs Eur 130 against the appealing 99 Eur price of Sandisk. I hope this 30% difference is worth a better performance.

I'll keep you informed about.
Ciao

Jerry
Milan, Italy
Shiftcontrol
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry,
only just got round to reading your posts.Sandisk SD cards have caused many problems. if you can get them in Italy try a Simpletech SD card they are generally accepted as being compatible with most PDAs.They are made in Japan using Hitachi controllers.
Regards,
Shiftcontrol
Jerry70
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 6:57 pm    Post subject: PROBLEMS SOLVED!!! Reply with quote

Thumbs Up
Hi all,
my problems with TTN2 are over! My reseller has changed my Sandisk with a Lexar 256 Mb SD and it works really fine. This result has been accomplished only with an extra expense of 16 Euros (115 Eur vs 99 Eur for a 256 Sandisk), but the result is worth the expenditure.
I can now confirm (empirically, of course) that all the problems are to be found in data transfer performance of Sandisk, which becomes evident when you use these cards with data transfer demanding applications. I've just given the same feedback to Sandisk customer support, I hope this can help them and their customers to get a better product for such applications.
Hereby I want also to say thank you to all the people of GPS World Forum that helped me to address my efforts towards the correct solution.
Ciao

Jerry,
Milan, Italy
gordongeko
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huzzar! One Panasonic 256Mb (Made in Japan), from www.empiredirect.co.uk (cheapest I could find of this card) SD card arrived today. Installed the 95Mb TomTom UK map and no problems after a good while trying to break it. Empirical evidence suggests from the many people who have contacted and advised me, as well as my own experience, any SD card from China and Taiwan is to be avoided, and paying a bit more if needs be for a quality Japanese item (Have yet to hear of a problem with a Panasonic card) is worth while. Only took me 3 weeks to get it sorted.

Avoid Sandisk, and any OEM's, from China like the plague (sorry Sandisk, your SD cards are just rubbish, everyone says so)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: