Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Activation problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Activation problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: TomTom Activation problem Reply with quote

Ever since I had a PDA crash 18 months ago, the brightness setting on my PDA has been greyed out and I can't adjust it. If I do a hard reset it works again, but if I then use Sprite backup to reinstall my software, it is greyed out again. Obviously one of the files I am restoring is disabling the brightness control.
I thought I would do a hard reset and install my software one at a time on a clean PDA. I did this and first installed CoPilot, which worked OK - brightness control working - hooray!
Then I installed TT5, started it and answered the initial questions about language, voice, units etc and then got a screen saying that my GB Plus maps needed to be activated. I sent the Product Code to ttcode and got an activation code, but it would not work. I tried this several times, but without success. In the end I got things back how they were using my Sprite Backup, but I am now back in the state I was originally, with the brightness control greyed out. Sad
Does anyone have any ideas about how I can reinstate the brightness control without a hard reset?
Also, why won't the activation code from TomTom work?
I have posted a question to TomTom, but from past performance I shall get a reply in a couple of weeks which shows that they haven't understood the question. I stand a much better chance of getting help here!!!
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom Activation problem Reply with quote

Robin2 wrote:
I sent the Product Code to ttcode and got an activation code, but it would not work.

What exactly does "would not work" mean? Did the Pocket PC say it's not a valid activation code? Did you verify that you are using the same device ID ?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it said it wasn't a valid activation code. The device ID is the same as it has always been since I installed CP5
Robin
lupos0_1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CP5 or TTN5 Question
Latest Maps
(Internal GPS)
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CP5 installed OK, but I couldn't activate my GB Plus map on TT5.
But after using Sprite backup I have them both working again, though the brightness control doesn't work! (see my original post)
Robin
Rabdo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin2 wrote:
But after using Sprite backup I have them both working again, though the brightness control doesn't work! (see my original post)
Robin

To re-activate TomTom, just use your sprite backup but just do a selective restore and restore the files contained in

\My Documents\TomTom\

These are the registration files - if you make a backup of these files you will not need to register ever again - just copy the files over.

Just out of interest, have you purchased the map updates from TomTom? If you have then to reactivate the software you MUST re-install the original great-britain maps from the cds, then register, then put the new maps on, then register the new maps - took me a lot of trial and error and cursing to figure that one out!!
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rabdo wrote:

Just out of interest, have you purchased the map updates from TomTom? If you have then to reactivate the software you MUST re-install the original great-britain maps from the cds, then register, then put the new maps on, then register the new maps - took me a lot of trial and error and cursing to figure that one out!!

Yes, I bought the map update from TomTom, but I didn't install the original GB map first after the hard reset, I'll try that.
Also, I had not realised you could selectively install backups from Sprite - I thought it was all or nothing. You have given me a couple of things to try Rabdo, I'll post the results later

Robin
Rabdo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin2 wrote:
Rabdo wrote:

Yes, I bought the map update from TomTom, but I didn't install the original GB map first after the hard reset, I'll try that.
Also, I had not realised you could selectively install backups from Sprite - I thought it was all or nothing. You have given me a couple of things to try Rabdo, I'll post the results later

Robin

To selectively restore in Sprite you need to go into the advanced settings and it will give you a folder tree view of the backup file - untick everything then only choose the directory I mentioned above - your tomtom will then be reactivated!

Try this first as you will not have to re-install the original maps from the cd.

Good luck!
Rabdo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin2 wrote:
Robin

With regard to the brightness control problem - have you installed pocketmon as part of sprite backup?

If you have then read on....

On the PocketMon bar on the today page, click on the word "auto" under the brightness control icon. This will change to something like "15/20". This refers to the "on-battery" / "on external power" % settings.

If you do this, then the sliders on the real brightness control panel come back to life.

Or you could just un-install pocketmon
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rabdo, thanks for your helpful replies. I have only just read your most recent post, which might have saved me a lot of time, but at least all is well now.
First I tried installing version 5.00, but once again the activation code would not work, even though the device code was correct. Then I realised what it must be - to try to save memory space on the PDA I had installed the application onto the storage card (there was an option to do so in the setup program). I wiped everything once again, then installed into the default location and, lo and behold, it accepted the activation code! I now have all my software reinstalled and working (CheckPOInt, CoPilot6, TTN5.21, Sprite Premium edition, etc) AND I have got the brightness control back!
That was a useful tip about being able to restore a single program from a Sprite backup - I shall remember it for the future.
The good news is that I must have got rid of a lot of accumulated junk. I have all my old programs installed and running again, but I am using significantly less memory than before
Once again, many thanks
Robin
Rabdo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin2 wrote:
Rabdo, thanks for your helpful replies. I have only just read your most recent post, which might have saved me a lot of time, but at least all is well now.
First I tried installing version 5.00, but once again the activation code would not work, even though the device code was correct. Then I realised what it must be - to try to save memory space on the PDA I had installed the application onto the storage card (there was an option to do so in the setup program). I wiped everything once again, then installed into the default location and, lo and behold, it accepted the activation code! I now have all my software reinstalled and working (CheckPOInt, CoPilot6, TTN5.21, Sprite Premium edition, etc) AND I have got the brightness control back!
That was a useful tip about being able to restore a single program from a Sprite backup - I shall remember it for the future.
The good news is that I must have got rid of a lot of accumulated junk. I have all my old programs installed and running again, but I am using significantly less memory than before
Once again, many thanks
Robin

Now you have it all working, don't forget to do a new sprite backup and save it in a safe place (? file-store) - anyway, as you say a spring clean is good for your pda once in a while
astrocompass
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
click on the word "auto" under the brightness control icon. This will change to something like "15/20". This refers to the "on-battery" / "on external power" % settings.

Magic! This lack of brightness control has been a minor niggle for a while. Clicking on the "7/20" a couple of times has restored my control of the brightness.

Thanks very much for that tip. It's been the sole niggle I've ever had with this kit, and thought it was a TT5 "feature". How wrong can a chap be? I owe you one.
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rabdo wrote:
Now you have it all working, don't forget to do a new sprite backup and save it in a safe place (? file-store) - anyway, as you say a spring clean is good for your pda once in a while

That was the first thing I did!!!!!

Robin

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: