Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PocketPC GPS at aldi next week - £349.99
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PocketPC GPS at aldi next week - £349.99
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vicky
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave

With regards to Bluetooth and the other Bells and Whistles, it really depends on what you are going to use it for,

I got rid of my Ipaq 5550 that had BLuetooth and 802.11 Wireless, I found it heavy and was not using the features,

And find the Aldi unit at under half the weight and smaller a better unit,

But it depends, if you have a bluetooth phone or want wireless access then these are features worth looking at.

Also bear in mind you could add a bluetooth or wireless card to the Aldi unit a a later date if needed

So far from playing with the Aldi unit for one day I must say it seems to perform well and although it feels light and a little cheap when compared to the Ipaq 5550, I like the lightness I can put up with the cheapness.

Another nice point is that on the Aldi unit there is a spare slot on the Cradle so you can charge a spare battery at the same time as the main unit,

If you do get one I would advise reading the instructions, I also broke the battery cover off mine trying to prise it open (Didnt see the slider on the side to release it Doh!)

Regards

Victoria
DaveB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victoria

Many thanks for your help. It sounds like it is a good buy and as a first time Pocket PC buyer I'll get the bonus of the GPS Navigation. From what I've read in the forums, it sounds like Bluetooth GPS isn't totally reliable.

I looked at one today in Aldi and although they look and feel a bit plasticky I'm impressed with what you get for your money in terms of spec, software etc.

You mention adding BT or WiFi SD cards at a later date - can you get a bluetooth SD card for Pocket PC ? I've seen a couple of WiFi SD cards but not Bluetooth. Perhaps I haven't looked hard enough !

Also, I assume that if you have a wireless card in the slot then you can't access any of your stored data on the other MMC cards (only one slot?). Has it got built in storage space too ?

Anyway many thanks for your help so far - I'm sure you appreciate the urgency given that my local store are bound to sell out by lunchtime tomorrow!

Dave.
vicky
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave

Yes there are Bluetooth SD Cards out there, plenty on Ebay!

The un it only has the one SDCard slot, so you would lose that if you fitted a Bluetooth card, not sure if there are any expansion jackets for the Aldi unit,.

Its all down to horses for courses., If you want a simple Fast unit the Aldi unit seems to more than fit the bill,

If you feel you need the Bluetooth or Wireless then Its probably better getting them built in, Personally I found I did't use them so changed my system and the cost saving was immense.

My Ipaq 5550 with TomTom Kit and Expansion Jacket for memory cards and a 1Gb CF card for maps cost in total over 3 times the price of the Aldi kit that for me does exactly the same job.

I will probably still use the TomTom2 software when navigating in the UK as I like the 3D maps. and the Medion Software in Europe

The same kit was launched in Aldi Germany today as well but with the Full Street level maps of Germany on the 2 cards so I will hunt around for a German user to try and trade my UK maps for a set of German Maps,

Regards

Victoria
Rich
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

So what's Tele Atlas like?

My father bought this package today but has the option of taking it back tomorrow morning. Should he keep it??

Why does he want to return it?
Need feng shui consultation
for your home & business?
visit www.chiwing.co.nr
Rich
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used the bundle last night and this morning. One from work to home. One from home to Hamilton. One from Hamilton to Home. Then from Home to work.

Overall, it is great!

I did have a problem, but I think I know the root cause and the solution. Basically, it switched itself off at one stage, then an error message pop up after a minute or two. The cause is likely to be the power management function. Once I set the time for auto switch off longer than my journey needed, it has been fine, no problem at all. On the other hand, you can quit the programme and restart again. Everything is fine again.

The receiver is with a magnetic base (see dave review). So, it is handy for me in a smart, as I have metal frame throughout the car.

Auto recalculation is fast. Not sure how the route planning compares with other software. Sometimes, I think it is not the shortest route, but then probably because I am far much more familiar with the area. I have to say, I feel so much more secure, as I know I won't get lost again, even if the route might not be shortest (need more trials to verify that!)

For me, it is for travelling from A to B. It is a very good priced solution. In the past, I would like to go for mmf with tomtom package. But I think the saving of over 200GBP is attractive and it still does what I need. (plus extra memory card plus leather case plus suction cup plate etc....)

To me, it is a prefect solution and I am pleased.
visit www.chiwing.co.nr
Rich
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all.

I do have a question to ask.

According to the manual, with you have your pda in the airport, the x ray machine will do pda no harm. but avoid the magnetic detector, as it might cause data loss etc.

On the leather case comes with the pda, there is a little magnetic mechanism for the leather case cover (on the flip) (like a ladies handbag or purse). Would it cause any problem on the memory card or the touch screen? (not sure what the touch screen is made of?)

Anyone knows?
visit www.chiwing.co.nr
Rich
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one more question! Laughing

In the manual, it says the memory card should not be stored in the pda when not in use (or something like that).

Is it really important or necessary to remove the card every time? Sounds silly to me.
visit www.chiwing.co.nr
Rich
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing to say, the volume of the voice is fine. I have a smart which is a little noiser than other cars (inside the car I am talking about). I can hear the voice loud and clear.

Vicky do you agree?
visit www.chiwing.co.nr
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I carry my PocketPC through Airports regularly and have never had a problem with the scanners, I don't know where the magnetic scanners feature but if you carry it with you then it will go through the X-ray scanner without any problems.

As for the magnetic catch on the case, have no fear as this will cause no harm, if magnets were going to be a problem we'd be talking about very very powerful stuff which you would only find in electrical equipment, CT Scanners, maybe very powerful speakers or Large TV's etc.

And I never remove memory cards from my devices, doing so would only unnecessarily wear the card eject mechanisms.
vicky
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

With regard to the voice volume, on the Aldi unit,

It is very good, thre unit is much louder than the Ipaq 5550 which had a poor speaker and always needed to be amplified,

It is actually also a bit louder than my old XDA.

Very load and clear even at motorway speeds in a People carrier with kids screaming!!

Regards

Victoria
aero
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich wrote:

He doesn't! It just seemed to good to be true Wink So he had a back-up plan if it turned out to be pants :D

Thanks

aero
vicky
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aldi has a great buy and try policy

If you buy the PDA from them, and in the future it breaks down or you decide you don't like it for any reason AT ANY TIME WITHIN 3 YEARS!

Just return it to the store for an instant refund, no quibble,

Its something Aldi offer on all the electrical stuff they sell.

I doubt you could get a PDA from anywhere else use it for as long as you wanted and return it without reason!.

Regards

Victoria
Rich
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aero wrote:
Rich wrote:

He doesn't! It just seemed to good to be true Wink So he had a back-up plan if it turned out to be pants :D

Thanks

aero

Oh well. I know people think Lidl and Aldi are some sort of low life supermarket. However, if you choose carefully, you can find some very high quality German ham and sausages (and even some of the wine) and a few other good stuff. With a similar packaging, you pay double in price in any other supermarket. If you try some PURE juice e.g. red grapes (not juice drink, which mix with water), I can't taste the difference between a supermarket or high street brand. Ask your dad to give you the 200 GBP saving if that makes him feel better. Laughing
visit www.chiwing.co.nr
aero
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I might have misled you there Rich Embarassed . The issue with it being 'pants' (my words not his) related more to his lack of experience of PDA/GPS systems rather than his opinion of Aldi. He has wanted a GPS system for some time but has found it difficult to justify. This Aldi offer seems perfect - but it is good to have reassurance that the product is puckka stuff Thumbs Up

Thanks for your input Smile
Rich
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Aero. It is my first PDA / gps too. To me, just need it to take me to a to b, it is prefect. So far, I have no regret. Need to read the menu carefully though! Mr. Green
visit www.chiwing.co.nr

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: