Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Problems with TomTom Nav 2 + Ipaq1940
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems with TomTom Nav 2 + Ipaq1940
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jerry70
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 2:30 pm    Post subject: Problems with TomTom Nav 2 + Ipaq1940 Reply with quote

I've just bought the new appealing package IPAQ1940+ Bluetooh GPS + TomTom Navigator (Italy). I also bought a 256 Mb s.d. card to install the complete Italy Map. Since the purchase, I've faced problems of stability and reliability of navigation software, as follows (my sw version is the latest 2.24.2):
1) TomTom Nav 2 often freezes when looking for a location (e.g. Milan) or a street;
2) TTN2 often exits the application when I enter the very first characters of a street, which I want to find;
3) When I install the complete Italy MAP, TTN2 becomes more unstable than in the above cases! It does not find major cities like Rome! Furthermore, the proposed addresses in the drop-down menu are not readable, as they appear like alphanumeric arrays. Problems seem to be less evident when I install smaller maps (<= 64 MB)
I un-installed and installed both TTN2 and its maps 4 times, with no result. I also posted two requests to TomTom customer support, but at present I've not received any feedback.
Did anyone ecounter the same problems (and also with the same pocket PC)?
Thanks
Jerry
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, this sounds like it could be a mapping problem. Perhaps the Italian map has some database errors in it.

Has anyone else used the Italian maps ? If so, Jerry perhaps you can post the streets your performing a lookup on and someone else can try to see if it is a map problem.

TomTom are very slow in replying to emails, sometimes it's better to try and call them although most support is via email. Uninstalling TTN2 and reinstalling it I would have thought would have cured it.

The only other thing I can suggest is it might be an error on your storage card. You could use Storage Tools and re-format the card, and then re-install TTN2 and re-apply TTN 2.24 update if it isn't fixed.
Jerry70
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave, thank you for your timely response. I want to try to re-format the storage card. You mentioned "storage tools" to perform this operation Question , but in my PocketPC (as you probably understood the o.s. is in Italian) I don't find such a function. Where can I find it? Thanks again.
Bye
Jerry, Milan
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry, you will need to download Storage Tools from http://www.softwinter.com/storagetools.html

It's not a free package, but they offer an evaluation copy to download.
Jerry70
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 11:22 pm    Post subject: A little improvement, but... Reply with quote

Hi dave,
I've just formatted my SD card with storage tools. Firts attempt: I formatted the SD cartd FAT16, cluster 32K: worst results
Second attempt: I formatted the SD card FAT16 cluster 4K (the smallest allowed k-size for FAT16). TTN2 seems to be more stable and street/ locations query looks easier and more reliable.
Unfortunately, TTN2 still silenlty exits the application in some cases. Furthermore, problems with the complete Italian Map (165Mb) are still present (alphanumeric arrays instead of cities and streets).
I have another question for you: on your opinion, what is the right elapsed time between the starting of TTN2 and the first inquiry of its databse? I mean, how long does the TTN take to access its DB?

Thanks
Jerry
Milan, Italy
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be no requirement before you can start accessing the database. Once TomTom is loaded, you should be able to start accessing it like all functions. It may take time, as especially searching for a street.
naza
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im having a simmilar problem to this although my pda is a h5550, can anyone tell me what the best format option is to use with storage tools Fat16,Fat32 cluster size etc?

I have recemtly swapped my sd cards over to try and pin point this problem I was using a 256MB SD which seems slower than my previous 128MB card which i have now put back into place.

Neil
Jerry70
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Naza,
right this morning, I tried to format my 256Mb SD card also with FAT32, with several cluster size. According to StorageTool online Help, the bigger are the files you want to store on SD card, the bigger should be cluster size. Well, maybe it's me, but I did not achieve any tangibile benefit!
In any case, it's quite alarming that bigger SD cards have problems with TTN2.
Sad Furthermore, I'm experiencing a new problem (Dave, I strongly hope you can help me): after installing three maps (64Mb each), any attempt to switch from one to another causes TTN2 abort!

Bye
Jerry
Milan, Italy
naza
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Hope im not speaking to soon here, but i may have found a soloution/workaround to the freezing on my TTN2/NAVMAN3400/H5550 setup.

I normally leave my bluetooth on as im always checking my email via my t68i, however today i switched it off and have NOT had a single freeze all day!!!

Will keep the forum posted as i REALLY am getting fed up of £450 PDA freezing up on me. Of course on my old 3870 i had bluetooth on all the time and never had this problem but i will be just glad to have a temp workaround. If this proves to be the issue i will be writing to TOM TOM to see what they indend doing about it.

Fingers and toes crossed

Neil
Jerry70
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 6:19 pm    Post subject: No way Reply with quote

Hi Neil,
unfortunately, your workaround does not fit my IPAQ1940! :x
On the contrary, TTN freezes more frequently!
I strongly expect TOMTOM to reply to my posts, I sent to its customer support!

Bye
Jerry
naza
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear it wont help you

Have you got any other software running at the same time (today plugins etc)?

Neil
Jerry70
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Neil,
I've bought this IPAQ 8 days ago, and apart from the o.s., nothing particular has been installed.
I'm trying to install TTN2 again, right now.

Hmmm, well... installation complete.... WHAT'S HAPPENING? 8O
Wonderful (ironic), now GPS appl. does not detect my GPS receiver anymore! The BLuetooth connection is configured in the correct way, but TTN2 says "GPS RECEIVER HAS DEACTIVATED" (this my personal translation from Italian to English). No information flows from GPS receiver to PDA. I mean, GPS receiver should work on COM5, shouldn't it? Well, now in GPS appl. if I try to check the corresponding box to keep the establish the connection with GPS receiver, the appl. does not allow me to check it anymore. The check-box remains blank. :x It can be checked only if I select TOMTOM receiver on COM8, but in this case the connection doesn't work as well.

WHO CAN HELP ME ON THIS MATTER??? Question Question Question

Thanx
Jerry
thax1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 6:12 pm    Post subject: BT Driver Reply with quote

Jerry,

Remember also to update to the latest BT driver from TomTom website (2.08?) if you have hard-reset your ipaq.

Good luck.
Jerry70
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI, I hard-reset my IPAQ.
I re-installed TTN 2.24.2 and BT driver 2.08, but the problem still occurs.
GPS sw does not allow to activate the checkbox correponding to COM5, which is the only one that works.
After hard-reset and sw installatio, now two COM5s appear in the dropdown menu of GSP driver!!!

I really don't know what else I can do !
Bye
Jerry
Milan, Italy

Sad
Jerry70
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:49 pm    Post subject: PROBLEM SOLVED (hopefully) Reply with quote

:P :P :P
Hi,

I've solved my problems, I hope.
I hard-reset the Ipaq again and now it recognises the GPS receiver.
As regards TTN2 stability problems I've just talked with TomTom customer support in the Netherlands.
TT says they're experiencing many problems with customer's that are using Sandisk 256 MB SD Cards (they talk about a lot of cards produced in China, like mine!).
My reseller is ready to change the card.

Let's cross figers and toes...

Bye
Jerry
Milan, Italy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: