Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - [i3] Upgrade to V8 maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

[i3] Upgrade to V8 maps
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
liviococcia
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello members, i've just recently bought my i3 and found it's got v8 on it, but that the system needed updating from 2.68 to 2.70.

After all the updates, and with the latest 'map version', i find it doesn't recognize my home postcode to my flat name or road, and that a main road in my local area isn't seen, but small roads branching off it are.

Anyway i sent garmin an email, to the 'Cartography' address, and explained the problems, here's the reply....

Hello Livio
I will pass these errors onto our map data provider who will correct these as soon as possible, which will hopefully be in time for the next update which is v9.0 and is due out around September time.

Kind Regards

.....now my question is, if v9 comes out with these corrections made, would i be allegeable for a free upgrade, the reason i ask is at that at moment the 'Home' facility can't be used.

any thought

Regards
Livio
dicko-1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brought my i3 fromm halfords it has kingmax card in it but no numbers or markings on it but it does have v8 mapping/
north_country_boy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

liviococcia wrote:

After all the updates, and with the latest 'map version', i find it doesn't recognize my home postcode to my flat name or road, and that a main road in my local area isn't seen, but small roads branching off it are.

This is exactly the same as mine does, when I put my postcode in it says i'm actually on a road adjacent to it and it doesn't recognise it if I try to do a full search for my road either. But when when I'm driving down my road it does display the correct road name. Its not as if these roads are new around here, they have been here well over 100 years. I might email Garmin too.
liviococcia
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what i'll also do, is make more of an issue and email the sales team at Garmin soon, and explain why i think that the next map version should be upgraded for free, after-all i'm not really getting the full features of the unit from this version, and that i don't see why i should have to pay again for what i havn't had when the i3 was purchased.

I'll can only ask, but i still think i3 a great unit at a good price.

regards
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

liviococcia wrote:
. . . at moment the 'Home' facility can't be used.

I don't know if you are aware, but you can store the location of your house as 'Home':

Delete anything you may have stored as 'Home'.
Park outside your house, or stand at the gate with the i3 in your hand.
Select 'Where To'.
Select 'Go Home'.
Select 'Use Current Location'.
Your house should now be set as 'Home'.

I don't know what happens when you select 'Go Home' if your road isn't included in the mapping Rolling Eyes

Anita

Anita
liviococcia
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Anita, when i first set the i3 up, and found it didn't recognize my address for the 'Home' facility, i did come across this and done excatly as you explained, and guess what!, it didn't work.

What it did, it stored the ponit onto a an area way further down the road infrount of my local park, this i think is because it has nothing to refer too for that particular point on my road on the i3 map data, but that it does have no problem in locking to the satellite.

thanks anyway, regards
BurntOut
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just purchased a Streetpilot C310 on Monday (as my m8 in work got one and there pretty darn good). Great little unit, have been told by garmin like you all to pop card in post and they will have it straight back to me.

Will be sendin off next monday as I want the unit for a long journey this coming weekend, looking forward to updated maps though, on journey home from halfords where I purchased it (for only £250, they r on offer), it didn't know about a roundabout which has been there for a few yrs now???
Should be interesting to see if v8 picks it up.

Keep you updated on my progress.
Nickwolf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just about to post my card, has anyone got the latest on turn around times?

Thanks
Nick.
smspeedy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine took 5 working days,but i did send it special delivery and they got it the next day.

Steve
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nickwolf wrote:
I am just about to post my card, has anyone got the latest on turn around times?

Thanks
Nick.

5 to 7 working days is the average..
Nickwolf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted it tonight and caught the last post so hopefully I'll have it back early next week. Nick.
galaxy111
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:13 am    Post subject: Different Routes with v 8.0 Reply with quote

I bought a Garmin i3 a couple of weeks ago, which came with the v. 7.0 map. I tried it out immediately on the journey to and from work and was impressed with the accuracy of the route. It was more or less choosing the exact route that I would normally have taken.

I sent the flashcard back to Garmin for the free upgrade to v.8.0 map which arrived back a week later. Now the strange thing is when I select the same journey to work, it is now much more inclined to try and get me onto the motorway (M6/M56) which I would never do because of local congestion. It also doesn't calculate the routes as fast as it did with the old map version. So I find it difficult to understand what could have caused this change in routing logic. Can anyone explain it? I'm fairly sure that all the same setup options have been selected.

It's also nothing to do with the software as I installed v. 2.7 on the first day I had the unit.
BERT_UK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Different Routes with v 8.0 Reply with quote

galaxy111 wrote:

I sent the flashcard back to Garmin for the free upgrade to v.8.0 map which arrived back a week later. Now the strange thing is when I select the same journey to work, it is now much more inclined to try and get me onto the motorway (M6/M56) which I would never do because of local congestion. It also doesn't calculate the routes as fast as it did with the old map version. So I find it difficult to understand what could have caused this change in routing logic. Can anyone explain it? I'm fairly sure that all the same setup options have been selected.

It's also nothing to do with the software as I installed v. 2.7 on the first day I had the unit.

Well naturally it won't know your preferences regarding local congestion, but assuming all other things are equal and that only the map has changed then I could only assume that the data on the map has changed making this a more desirable route.

For example, perhaps there was an inaccuracy in the V7 maps that made the distance to the motorway a longer option, maybe this has been rectified and so with the motorway now being closer (on map at least), and a faster road, the GPS now selects this? Alternatively there might be an error in the V8 maps..... :D

Other possibilites could include a change to road layouts in other points of your journey making the motorway a more attractive option again. For example, a new road layout with many right turns would be weighted unfavourably.

I can only assume something somewhere in your journey has changed between V7 & V8 maps. What this is and whether it is correct or not though is another matter!
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most likely cause is that the default speeds for different types of roads have been modified in v8 in favour of motorways. This would then make the routing algorithm more likely to select motorways
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
chippie_w
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted my card last Thursday recorded delivery, received back 1st post Saturday Morning !!! Is this a record ??

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 8 of 12

Jump to: