Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS Database Helps Reduce Crime
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS Database Helps Reduce Crime
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Stolen SatNav?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jazzyj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
jazzyj wrote:
my brother was building basic 1 watt radio transmitters when he was 14, so regardless to what an amature has to say, ya dont empress me Laughing Out Loud

OK, well maybe in a few years when you reach 14 years old then you will be building your own radio transmitters too and then you will understand how they differ from receivers. Wink

In the meantime, just stick to the tinfoil hat and hope that your mum don't notice all the baking foil going missing from the cupboard. Laughing

pls grow up !! thank you

Wink

j
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said before. Folk are losing the plot. Read the first post on this thread by Mike B and it comes up with a very good proposal. It was not intended to get people to list their property on a database unless it was stolen, and then really as an aid to Police to enable return of stolen goods. The thread was somehow converted into a paranoia based soap box by others, which doesn't really assist anyone. Please add your viewpoint whether it be positive or negative relating to the original post, with any evidence to back up your view. We could all come up with extreme examples which are technically possible, but not at all likely.

A stolen GPS register is a great idea, which could reunite owners with their property. I am a Police Officer, so perhaps I would be inclined to slide towards helping victims of crime, since that's what I am paid to do, but I am also a GPS user and without my Police hat on, I still can't see how this idea can be negative.

Regularly absent, but still here in spirit !
jazzyj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

999tommo wrote:
As I said before. Folk are losing the plot. Read the first post on this thread by Mike B and it comes up with a very good proposal. It was not intended to get people to list their property on a database unless it was stolen, and then really as an aid to Police to enable return of stolen goods. The thread was somehow converted into a paranoia based soap box by others, which doesn't really assist anyone. Please add your viewpoint whether it be positive or negative relating to the original post, with any evidence to back up your view. We could all come up with extreme examples which are technically possible, but not at all likely.

A stolen GPS register is a great idea, which could reunite owners with their property. I am a Police Officer, so perhaps I would be inclined to slide towards helping victims of crime, since that's what I am paid to do, but I am also a GPS user and without my Police hat on, I still can't see how this idea can be negative.

i was a dounut, i didnt look at the original posting ,
actualy i do belive that any system that gets your property back , is a good idea , but i dont like being slated for my view.
im not a violent person, i dont come on here to be insulted or insult .
i just want to be able to have my right to fredom of speach and try and do my bit on here.

thats all.
i have put quite a few camera locations on here , and will continue to do so, so pls respect fellow PGPSW users

thank you

Wink

j
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should both be grateful to the nice policeman for not carting you both away for unruly behaviour Laughing

All over now, back to measured (well, for the most part) discussion Wink
swegger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: Stolen Sat Nav Database Reply with quote

This is a good idea to post the details of the stolen units on the forum, but can somebody possibly build an interactive database where by a buyer or the police could actually check the details of a unit against the register or database to see if it has been reported lost or stolen and therefore possibly notifying the correct owner by sending an email.

Or maybe there is a business opportunity here where by the details are registered by the owner with a third party and kept on file for a small fee. Once the unit has been stolen then it can be flagged and if recovered by police then the rightful owner can be traced and the unit returned for a small fee.

Thanks in advance
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: Stolen Sat Nav Database Reply with quote

swegger wrote:
Or maybe there is a business opportunity here where by the details are registered by the owner with a third party and kept on file for a small fee. Once the unit has been stolen then it can be flagged and if recovered by police then the rightful owner can be traced and the unit returned for a small fee.

Thanks in advance

How about this? https://www.immobilise.com/
Samsung Galaxy S21
kevpol
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a good idea to post the details of the stolen units on the forum, but can somebody possibly build an interactive database where by a buyer or the police could actually check the details of a unit against the register or database to see if it has been reported lost or stolen and therefore possibly notifying the correct owner by sending an email.

That exactly how Mike and I planned the system to work and I use it regularly in combination with Police CRIS reports and www.immobilise.com. Immobilise was primarily meant for mobile phones although has now been expanded to satnav.

PGPSW was actually the 'NO 1' organisation in the fight against GPS theft

Any person can use the search feature above to check any forum on here inclusing the stolen reports.
kasandrich
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dice wrote:
Quote:
second tip don't ever leave it in the vehicle

Thats the best to stop tea leafs Smile
Just like mobile phones a few years ago just don't leave it visible in your car Wink

I don't ever leave mine in the car, but that won't stop a scum bag from breaking in if they think its in there in the glove box etc. because they see the tell tale ring in the screen!
hass762
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: preventing theft Reply with quote

Hello all,

I think preventative measures is the way to go.
In this day and age you should always be aware of your surroundings, the type of people that hang around etc.

If you like me are not loaded with cash then,
1- always remove the radio, gps unit, phones etc from the car.
2- if you got a big gps cradle stuck on your windscreen then someone is gonna say, I wonder if he has anything in the glove box or under the seat.
3- Hiding anything in the car is pointless unless you got like a heavyweight high security safe under the seat or similar.
4- If you don't like carrying lots of stuff around either don't use so much stuff or just get a small back pack you can stuff everything in when you leave.

The best way to prevent theft is to not give those pesky little idiots the chance to question the contents of your car.

It's similar to having expensive sound systems, if you go around blurting at loud volumes in not very good neighbourhoods, then someone is bound to notice your car and will want to take a closer look.

Yes, the stolen register thing is a good idea, like mentioned a number of stolen devices are unable to be returned to their owner.
Register your devices where possible, make seperate notes of your serial numbers and such.

Just be careful and aware out in the ugly world these days and, you may not have to ponder about how the hell you are going to afford another unit.

IF you are paranoid about registering your details, then be preventative in a big way. It would seem to be your only option.

This is my view so please only constructive comments if any.
regards
williaj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Where is the database ? Reply with quote

So much info on this site I can't find the database ? Can someone point me in the right direction ?

Cheers
whibbs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: stolen gps database Reply with quote

same here can't find database please help
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Where is the database ? Reply with quote

williaj wrote:
So much info on this site I can't find the database ? Can someone point me in the right direction ?

There isn't a database of stolen SatNavs on this site. You post a message with details of your stolen SatNav in this thread.

I'm not sure what happens to it from there. Maybe the police monitor this site, or perhaps one of the Pocket GPS World team submit the details to the police. It would be interesting to know!
Samsung Galaxy S21

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Stolen SatNav? All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: