Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - City Select or Navigator
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

City Select or Navigator
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elsinga
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the Quest2 has performance problems due to the compression of the CN8 NT maps (and the custom POI proximity function doesn't help improving it either).

I tested my Quest2 with CN8 NT and CS 7 loaded. CS7 is much faster in redrawing the screen than CN8 NT.

GPS V FAQ Quest FAQ
Home @ N 52"55.812', E 05"51.509'
Kritou
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is CN8NT the same as plain vanilla CN8 that we Quest owners hope will appear this weekend?
Kritou
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found the answer to my own question - the NT suffix just means it can utilise Traffic Messaging (TMC) but will appear to be identical in operation to plain CN when run on a Quest
elsinga
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... not quite.

The NT maps are *compressed*, so they take up less memory. They have the same info as the normal maps though, AFAIK. But: to use the NT maps, they need to be *decompressed* on the fly while you use the GPS. This will take processor power from the GPS, which you notice on the Quest2...

GPS V FAQ Quest FAQ
Kritou
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
.....This will take processor power from the GPS, which you notice on the Quest2...

Robert, do you think this will be an issue, or even more so, on the Quest?
Andy2No
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elsinga wrote:
I tested my Quest2 with CN8 NT and CS 7 loaded. CS7 is much faster in redrawing the screen than CN8 NT.
How did you get hold of CN8 NT? I can't see any mention of it on Garmin.com.

Is it likely they'll offer it to us without the compression? I'd rather have less maps loaded than have to wait longer for it to redraw.

That seems like bad programming to me. Surely it only needs to decompress a map once, unless you try to plan a route that spans several maps? I would have thought it cached at least one entire decompressed map in memory... Maybe there isn't room?

I already find the automatic route recalculation a bit slow - often I've gone past the turning it suggests next by the time it suggests it, or am driving past it and don't have time to turn when it tells me to.

Where did the announced release date for CN8 come from? Again, I can't find any mention on garmin.com.
elsinga
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Quest comes with CN8 NT, I added CS7 (I got the unlock code from my favorit dutch Garmin shop www.gps.nl to test this theory).

I don;t know if Garmin is going to alter something about the mapping in the Quest2... I did suggest it to them. ;)

And no, the Quest 1 is not affected, since it will load the normal CN maps, not the compressed NT maps.

GPS V FAQ Quest FAQ
Andy2No
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elsinga wrote:
The Quest comes with CN8 NT...
And no, the Quest 1 is not affected, since it will load the normal CN maps, not the compressed NT maps.
I see. That's more promising.

I'd left the garmin maps update page open and just refreshed it. It's true, they have released the CN8 update DVD today!

Anyone brave enough to try it and give us a review?
Andy2No
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to try ordering the DVD since paying for it comes later... It turns out the UK branch of Garmin isn't open on Saturdays so the release date is a bit theoretical.

The response I had from customer support about the price, a bit over a week ago, said it would be about £50 (roughly the $75 quoted on their website) but the automatic reply I've just had says:-

If your unit was registered after the 'Release Date' you will qualify for a
free update. If you fll outside this period, the cost for an update is -
- City Select: $100 + VAT (or local tax)
- City Navigator: $150 + VAT (or local tax)

If the email turns out to be right, that's more than double what the support guy said, in which case I definitely won't be buying it.
the-bunker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke to Garmin UK on Wednesday this week & the chap said anyone who bought/registered their unit since 1st Jan 2006 would be entitled to a free upgrade to v8 - which would be available from the 25th Feb.

Just to be on the safe side, I'm not placing my order until I know for sure v8 has been released....
ST4S
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless I'm missing something, CS Europe has disappeared from the Garmin map updates site..

http://www.garmin.com/unlock/update.jsp

So it looks like it's CN 8 or nothing (not that I'd complain!).

I got the automated e-mail notification from Garmin, that CN8 is available and so registered my CS6 software and my Quest (1) unit yesterday. I've done the e-mail request for the free map upgrade.. no response confirming that I'll get it yet (as of 11pm (GMT) 02/03/06), but I'll let you know...
ST4S
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CN 8 arrived today.. (see previous post in this thread about me registering products)

Guess what.. it's an upgrade disc for existing an CN installation, marked as being 'for use with Steet pilot only'.. So, about as much use to me as a handbrake would have been on the Titanic. (And yes, my upgrade e-mail request to Garmin did say it was for a Quest 1)

I like the Quest, so far it's been reliable and accurate, but what little contact I've had with Garmin subsequently has left me far from impressed (unanswered e-mails, and now an unsuitable map upgrade).

I'm not going to say too much, I'll count to 10 and think calming thoughts instead...
But as you might guess, my next unit will be from another manufacturer..

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Andy2No
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ST4S wrote:
but what little contact I've had with Garmin subsequently has left me far from impressed (unanswered e-mails, and now an unsuitable map upgrade).

I assume the disk I was sent is the right one... I'll have to check. I tried to buy it but discovered they only take credit cards. I don't use them (what with them being the work of the devil and all Wink) so I looked into the upgrade voucher thing.

Their site claims the vouchers can be bought from dealers. Having rung a couple with no success at all - they'd never heard of them - I emailed Garmin about it. Almost needless to say, I'm still waiting for an answer. I do find it incredible that their support is now so lousy they can't even be bothered to reply to people who are trying to give them money. Possibly not the best business model to adopt.

When I was looking into buying a Quest in the first place, I had little trouble getting fairly detailed responses to my questions. It seems things have gone down hill a lot over the last year. As they're now apparently concentrating on off their existing customers. I have to wonder how much longer they're likely to last. Have they got so big they don't feel the need to talk to customers any more, or are they undergoing financial collapse?
adam1330
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I brought a Quest 1 just after Christmas, and waited until a couple of weeks ago to register it, to make sure I got the latest update, and have just got City Navigator v8 through the post, so no complaints from me!
erniesone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ST4S wrote:
CN 8 arrived today.. (see previous post in this thread about me registering products)

Guess what.. it's an upgrade disc for existing an CN installation, marked as being 'for use with Steet pilot only'.. So, about as much use to me as a handbrake would have been on the Titanic. (And yes, my upgrade e-mail request to Garmin did say it was for a Quest 1)

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I received the City Navigator Upgrade CD and Emailed Garmin to check. 20 minutes later they confirmed City Navigator is just a ''name change'' and it will upgrade from City Select (in spite of what it said on the box) - and it did.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: