Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How to remove CoPilot 6's Fat finger Keyboard?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How to remove CoPilot 6's Fat finger Keyboard?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was typing my reply to your earlier post just as you were posting the information I was asking for!

I see what you mean, but unfortunately my hardware/software does not support landscape mode.
NigelO
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neil

I'm on .068, but on an O2 XDA Exec, which may be the only way to get the QWE key (by going landscape)
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For others who may be lucky enough to have the choice between having landscape or portrait; if the keyboard is set to QWERTY in landscape, and the display then set to Portrait, is the setting remembered?
NigelO
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure - my fat finger keyboard is only launched in about 1/3 of the instances I need a keyboard - mostly it just lauches the (miniscule) standard PDA soft keyboard.

Is there a config file that might show the settings? - I've checked a couple of cfg files and not found anything.
BMWBiker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On PDAs you choose your preferred input device like "keyboard" in Settings, Personal, Input. This should be remembered and restored by applications that temporarily change it.

Users of CP6 will find "CoPilot Keyboard" listed here as well as the "keyboard" which is the default small soft keyboard "QWERTY" that came with the PDA.

CP 6 when loaded will load the CP6 FatFinger keyboard. I can see it flash for a moment as CP starts up. This happens even if you disable the CoPilot keyboard in the registry, so that other applications will not see it.

As far as I can tell CP on exit restores your "other" preferred input device, only tested this once.

I think the newly discovered "QWE" button on the landscape mode display actually invokes the original system QWERTY keyboard, not sure, haven't seen it.

You can see from the nice photos that landscape mode (which I don't have) allows more letters per line and has space for the QWE button.

The CoPilot FatFinger keyboard is entirely contained within the file ALKIM.dll. I suppose there are at least two versions, for landscape/portrait display.

As mentioned earlier, the FatFinger keyboard could be much more friendly if it were just positioned 'north' by about 26 pixels, so users could see and choose the other keyboards or transcribers that are always available to courteous programs, in the lower right screen corner.

But as a motorcyclist using the PDA while wearing gloves, I must say I like the FatFinger keyboard.
Navman sleeve (3400)
Blue Tooth GPS
NigelO
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMWBiker - nope, the QWE button merely re-arranges the CoPilot keyboard into QWERTY layout - it doesn't invoke the standard PDA soft keyboard
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NigelO wrote:
BMWBiker - nope, the QWE button merely re-arranges the CoPilot keyboard into QWERTY layout - it doesn't invoke the standard PDA soft keyboard

I bet that looks strange since the qwerty keyboard has 10, 9, then 7 letters on successive rows:

qwertyuiop
asdfghjkl
zxcvbnm
FatOldSun
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The QWERTY keyboard in landscape mode has the same sized square keys as the standard portrait fat finger keyboard. It is lined up in 3 rows of 10 characters, as follows:

QWERTYUIOP
ASDFGHJKL@
_ZXCVBNM-.

All I need to do now is find an in-car PDA mount that works horizontally - I suppose if it holds it tight enough it will work!
NigelO
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatOldSun - have a look at Brodit mounts - comes in two parts - actual PDA holder (custom for the PDA), then a bracket (custom for the car)

VERY good quality - mine has a tilt / swivel, so I can use it portrait or landscape

www.brodit.com or www.brodit.se

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: