Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Holux 236 connection failed in GPS Viewer!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Holux 236 connection failed in GPS Viewer!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swamyg1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Holux 236 connection failed in GPS Viewer! Reply with quote

The funny this is... everything was perfect 2 days ago!

I have a Dell Axim x30, and I setup everything fine 2 days ago... when I turn on both devices today, I get nothing! No settings have changed and I have redone the inital setup steps for bluetooth numerous times, but I get no action in GPS Viewer at all...

I've followed the instructions to configure in the Bluetooth Manager and I can get an active connection to SPP Slave, although if I look at the status there's no activity but with signal strength 'just right'. (The GPS was fully charged prior to doing the above).

I then installed the GPS Viewer from the supplied CD Rom, and changed the baud rate to 38400. According to the manual I should now select scan and the Viewer software should connect to the GPS and pickup the satellite signal. Unfortunately all I get is:-

Scan COM1...(None)
Scan COM2...(Open failed)
Scan COM3...(None)
Scan COM4...(None)
Scan COM5...(Open failed)
Scan COM6...(None)
Scan COM7...(Open failed)
Scan COM8...(None)
Scan COM9...(None)
Scan COM7...(Open failed)
Scan completed!

THE WORST PART IS, EVERYTHING WAS FINE 2 DAYS AGO...

could it be a defective unit? Thanks in advance for the assistance Confused
cyberdude
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got te same thing. i even hard reset my PPC and just installed GPS Viewer but still cannot pick up a com port.
aayuen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: No com port! Reply with quote

Me too.... Sad
I just purchased a GR-236 yesterday! Bluetooth connected with no problem at all, but it just can't find a com port?! Question
Please, can anyone help!!!
waylander69
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I had a similar problem when I purchased my Holux gpsslim a 2 month ago, finally got it parred and then had connection issues, contacted dell as I thought it was a bluetooth issue and found my firmware was out of date,

Check the dell website and check you firmware setting, easiest way is download the the updates and try and install , if they are installed it will tell you and won;t let you go any further or contact dell support.

I am still waiting to find out if my issue of the medion navigator software locking up after 2 hours is solved, so my issues are still ongoing

cheers
G Rolling Eyes
wasabi4ever
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Treo 650 + Holux GPSlim236 Reply with quote

Hi guys, I have similar problem but mine is with Treo 650.
Everything was fine 2 days ago when it arrived through mail, today is the weekend so I decided to use it on my little trip and everything went dead.
I also tried hard-reset on the treo, also tried connecting using USB cable for PC/Laptop but no luck.

Anybody got sugestion or answer to this problem yet ?
I would greatly appreciate for any support/help

Thank YOu
Graham0123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be able to help, as I had the same problem on my PDA as soon as I installed MemoryMap (Ordnance Survey map software).

The Holux receiver (in fact any receiver using the SiRF3 chipset I would guess) appears to support two different protocols for supplying the GPS data: the NMEA protocol which is a common standard and is supported by nearly every device and application, and the SiRF protocol which is only supported by some applications. MemoryMap supports both, whereas TomTom and GpsViewer only seem to support NMEA. When I configured MemoryMap, I selected SiRF protocol, which configured the Holux to send in SiRF mode. From then on the Holux device was stuck in this mode even after uninstalling MemoryMap, and so TomTom and GpsViewer would not accept the signal. If you install Memory Map (or any other application that offers a choice of NMEA or SiRF) then always choose NMEA!

Here is how to revert the Holux back to using NMEA protocol. You need Bluetooth on your PC. If you don’t have Bluetooth then get a Bluetooth USB dongle, for example the Belkin F8T012UK. Install and run the SiRFDemo application on the PC (get it from here http://www.holux-uk.com/Products/gpslim236/download.shtml). Make sure the Holux is not currently connected to anything by checking the Blue LED on the Holux. A useful thing to note is that the Blue LED on the Holux flashes quickly (once per second) when it is not connected via Bluetooth, and it flashes slowly (once every 3 seconds) when connected. Then connect to the Holux in SiRFDemo by clicking Action/OpenDataSource. Now click Action/InitializeDataSource, and send a FactoryReset message. It's in the right mode if the DebugView window is listing text strings which start with dollar signs. Make sure you close the connection on the PC before trying with the PocketPC again, and bingo it works!

Good luck, Graham

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: