Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 2GB SD Card on Mio 268+
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

2GB SD Card on Mio 268+
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lee_g3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: 2GB SD Card on Mio 268+ Reply with quote

Has anyone bought a 2GB SD card for the Mio 268+. I would like to install the full European maps onto a 2GB SD card, Mio website slightly contradictes itself, on the Specs it says it only supports 1GB SD card, but under FAQ's it says they have tried it with a 2GB card. I have e-mailed Mio asking what speed of SD card they used (80x, 133x or 150x) but had no reply so far.

I also assume that if I load up the full european maps, I will get the full maps of all countrys, without having to swap maps every time I enter a new country? When I went abroad a t Xmas, I had to load the maps of Germany as my end location, but I then only had major roads of Europe for all other countries.
ray2001
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A correspondent on another forum has used a Kingmax 2gb high speed SD card in his 268 (not +) with great success - his suggestion is try and see since these units can be a bit picky!! If it doesn't work could you return it - a 1gb card will hold UK/Ireland/France/Benelux?
Lee_g3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting, as Mio said that a 2GB wouldn't work on a 268, just a 268+, so as you say, it is a case of suck it and see, really.

I might just have to take the plunge, although I hoping to wait a little longer until hopefully the prices come down a bit further. I tend to order these things online, so it means having to pay postage everytime I want to return something.

If anyone else has already taken the plunge, I would be grateful to know how you got on.

Thanks for your reply ray2001.
ray2001
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go here, Lee.

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=39994&whichpage=8

Scroll to the last post on the page.
Lee_g3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got an e-mail back from Mio:

Quote:
Thank you to contact the Mio’s Technical support. Regarding to your question about which SD card are compatible with the 268+ device.

There are several different type of SD card that will pass by your 268+ such as:

-2GBMMC Transcend

-2GB MMC Plus Transcend

4GB SD 150X Transcend

I have found their website at www.trascend.nl
so when I have some money, will try to get hold of a cheep(ish) 2GB SD card, and see if I can get the full european maps on it.
ray2001
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The full map of Europe will fit on - 1.6gb
Lee_g3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's it, just hope it does the cross border navigation, without having to keep changing maps all the time.
warsteiner77
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: :evil: Transcend 2GB card Reply with quote

Just though I'd let you guys know that I have bought a 2GB Transcender MMC Plus card as I wanted to transfer the complete maps of Europe to it and I am having trouble transferring anything to it!

Everytime I try and transfer anything to the card (via a card reader) I get a Windows 'Delayed Write Failure' error. This happens even if I try and transfer a 4MB mp3 file to the card.

I'm transferring the files straight from my hard drive to the card via a card reader and this does not make any difference.

I have 2 other SD cards both of which are 512MB in size and I can transfer any maps or mp3 songs to them without any problems.

I don't know if there is a problem with the size of the card or just the card itself but I would not recommend buying this card - I wouldn't mind if I could even use it for mp3 files but transferring these files are also problematic.

Has anyone esle had these problems with this card?
ray2001
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presume you have attempted reformat of card?? Compufix - regular contributor here - uses a Kngmax card and a friend of mine uses an Integral SD card with great success.
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now use a make called A-Data that i purchased of eBay, bought 3 over a one month period, paid over £68 for each of them but now see them for about £55

Took about 14 days to arrive as they were from HK, but found you can now get them from UK suppliers on eBay as well.

Use one in a digi camera, one in the Mio168, not the lexar as show below, and another in a MP4 player that says 1GB sd card limit, but the 2GB card works just fine.

They say 50x speed on the packaging.
warsteiner77
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Presume you have attempted reformat of card??

Yes, re-formatted several times. I though it was a problem with the size of the file I was trying to transfer (1.52GB for the full Europe map) but then I had exactly the same problem transferring a 4MB MP3 file.

Who knows maybe I've just got a bad card but I'll be steering clear of Teanscender cards for a while.
warsteiner77
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick follow up.

I've just purchased a Dane-Elec 2GB card for £65 and have transferred the full European maps without any problems. I'm going to RMA the Transcend card to see if it was a one off.
Lee_g3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info on the Transcend SD cards, think I'll try and avoid these. Could you tell me please where you bought the Dane-Elec card from, as I'm hoping in the next couple of months to purchase one.
warsteiner77
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee,

I bought the card a a computer fair but I'm sure you can find them on the Internet.

Pocketgps mentiones A-Data cards and you can get these of eBay for about £55.
Lee_g3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for that, I'll shop around.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: