Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Inconsistent routing- Garmins response
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Inconsistent routing- Garmins response
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ride4smilesjonny
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ride4smilesjonny wrote:
Lester did you ever get to try two units side by side?

Take that as a no then! 8O
hi ho hi ho.....
www.ride4smiles.co.uk

£3500 raised in two weeks! :-)
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lester_Burnham wrote:
I'm not talking about route alternatives on fairly local roads.

I'm talking about a difference in the route 15, 20, or 25 miles away.

Clearly with variable start points, local aspect of a route may vary - no problems with that.

What I'm talking about is a fairly obvious route, with main motorway segments, and variation in the motorways / junctions used, some distance into the journey.
I do understand that, and I appreciate the example I have regularly seen appears to be locals roads - but it is answering the earlier posts - a difference of a few yards can create a large effect on the planned route - in my case from the very first junction.

I've certainly seen TomTom offer one route to a location, yet a different route on the way back. Also, I've seen TomTom affected by stretches of one way roads / dual carriageway with limited junctions such that different routes are calculated based on the direction of travel.

Having done some "simple" studying of the logic and formulae involved in these calculations a fair few years back, I can tell you I think it's a miracle these devices can produce a route at all!

So, yes, I would expect differences with the route offered, but, as others seems to have reported, I would expect from the *same* start point to the *same* destination I would expect a consistent route.
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swing wrote:
Lester_Burnham wrote:
I'm not talking about route alternatives on fairly local roads.

I'm talking about a difference in the route 15, 20, or 25 miles away.

Clearly with variable start points, local aspect of a route may vary - no problems with that.

What I'm talking about is a fairly obvious route, with main motorway segments, and variation in the motorways / junctions used, some distance into the journey.
I do understand that, and I appreciate the example I have regularly seen appears to be locals roads - but it is answering the earlier posts - a difference of a few yards can create a large effect on the planned route - in my case from the very first junction.

I've certainly seen TomTom offer one route to a location, yet a different route on the way back. Also, I've seen TomTom affected by stretches of one way roads / dual carriageway with limited junctions such that different routes are calculated based on the direction of travel.

Yup - no problem with that - with more thought, it's reasonable to understand symmetrical routes.

swing wrote:
So, yes, I would expect differences with the route offered, but, as others seems to have reported, I would expect from the *same* start point to the *same* destination I would expect a consistent route.

Me too - but I'm not.

I can see how slight variances may affect what some see as local parts of the route - that's reasonable and natural to understand.

What I don't see as following any logic is such variations, then affecting something quite a bit later on in a common route.[/i]
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lester_Burnham wrote:
Yup - no problem with that - with more thought, it's reasonable to understand symmetrical routes.

Sorry, that should read asymmetrical (one of the downsides to the lack of post edit facilities).
bumpkin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lester_Burnham wrote:
Sorry, that should read asymmetrical (one of the downsides to the lack of post edit facilities).

Sorry, slightly off topic: Is there a reason that this forum lacks this facility? All the other forums I frequent have the capability to edit posts.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lester_Burnham wrote:
What I don't see as following any logic is such variations, then affecting something quite a bit later on in a common route.
I agree it's not intuitive - but remember the unit will consider the whole journey, not sections. However, I think I agree that a difference of a few hundred yards shouldn't be seen to be making a difference many miles into a common route. Although mathematically it may be correct, it's certainly not what the consumer would expect to happen.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bumpkin wrote:
Is there a reason that this forum lacks this facility?
A few years back a forum upgrade required all the old messages to be manually imported - this resulted in the entries no longer being associated with the correct username. As such, if editing was enabled, if would be potentially possible to edit someone else's post. As such, editing is only turned on in very select conferences until a full solution can be found. At least that's what I think I remember reading on the subject - searching the general forums towards the top of the list of forums should confirm this.
mhb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really can't see that any of the reasons so far suggested by anyone could have caused what I experienced on the way back from Dundee.
ride4smilesjonny
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mhb wrote:
I really can't see that any of the reasons so far suggested by anyone could have caused what I experienced on the way back from Dundee.

Not even the previous mentioned theory of the pixies Bouncing Jumping With Joy Bouncing Jumping With Joy
hi ho hi ho.....
www.ride4smiles.co.uk

£3500 raised in two weeks! :-)
rossb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once experienced a very annoying route variance on my Streetpilot III. I was about to report a map error, then the unit took me on a different and correct route the following morning.

I believe variance could happen on any GPS unit, because GPS signals can never be a constant. There are many factors in GPS signal quality including weather, interference from environment/car, which satellite you lock on to etc.
Milkfloat
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rossb wrote:
I once experienced a very annoying route variance on my Streetpilot III. I was about to report a map error, then the unit took me on a different and correct route the following morning.

I believe variance could happen on any GPS unit, because GPS signals can never be a constant. There are many factors in GPS signal quality including weather, interference from environment/car, which satellite you lock on to etc.

This will not affect the routing algorithms. All the gps does is give a position. It would have to be hundreds of meters incorrect before routing is affected.
gcb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CONSISTENT Routing problem.

Try setting a route to Europe and the C310 (at least) although it displays several ferry options will only ever choose the one route.
"i.e Dover to Calais using the Chunnel" - which it seems to think is a road?
I mean even if you tried to set a route from Ramsgate to Osteend it would still tell you to drive down to Dover and drive from Calais to Osteend? Realise its not that important but just thought Id mention it.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gcb wrote:
Try setting a route to Europe and the C310 (at least) although it displays several ferry options will only ever choose the one route.
"i.e Dover to Calais using the Chunnel" - which it seems to think is a road?
I mean even if you tried to set a route from Ramsgate to Osteend it would still tell you to drive down to Dover and drive from Calais to Osteend? Realise its not that important but just thought Id mention it.

Ramsgate to Oostende ferry isn't marked on the Mapsource maps (v7 anyway) and that is why it won't route using it.

The Channel tunnel is marked as a ferry, the same as the Dover to Calais route.

The ferry speed is set at 12 MPH so when you ask for the "Fastest" route, you will always get the shortest ferry journey possible. Try Portsmouth to LeHarvre - it may route you to Dover to catch the ferry there. Rolling Eyes

The best thing to do is plan your ferry crossing in advance and route to your chosen ferry port then route on to your destination.
gcb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its all hyperthetical because of course yes you would plan the route to the ferry terminal not the destination I agree.

However the point still stands

I challenge you to get the Garmin unit to calculate just one route to Europe that does not go by Chunnel. Try Newcastle on Tyne to Bergen?
I havent tried these but I bet it still recomends the Chunnel. Helsinki,Riga,Mosco.
Milkfloat
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gcb wrote:
Its all hyperthetical because of course yes you would plan the route to the ferry terminal not the destination I agree.

However the point still stands

I challenge you to get the Garmin unit to calculate just one route to Europe that does not go by Chunnel. Try Newcastle on Tyne to Bergen?
I havent tried these but I bet it still recomends the Chunnel. Helsinki,Riga,Mosco.

As Skippy said, the Channel Tunnel is coded as a ferry route and as such has a low speed category like other ferries. Therefore it will always use the route that is fastest. Newcastle to Bergen at 12mph will take a very long time, so it may well route via Dover - Calais.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: