Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PARIS MAPS... HELP REQUIRED
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PARIS MAPS... HELP REQUIRED
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RICKT
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: PARIS MAPS... HELP REQUIRED Reply with quote

Hi there,

I have got a TT Go 300 and am planning going to Paris from the UK...

I have got an original TT GO 500 SD card, 256MB, (from EBAY) with no product code, I have looked on the maps and i can see a good few number of roads in Paris... however my question is... is this the full city map or just the major roads??

I have seen on the TT site you can download the PARIS city maps, however it states that these maps be the same as i already have...

If i was to download PARIS MAPS from TOM TOM site, Do you know if theres a differance with the maps from the Go 300 & Go 500 SD cards..

Because if i download/buy the maps from tom tom i can provide them with my GO 300 product code.. and then put them on my GO 500 SD card as well??

Alos does any one know how I can get me product code for the GO 500 SD card i have, as i said its Orginial i was just connec when i brought it with not understanding how the product codes work etc.. (the guy on EBAY said he wont refund it either??)

Any ideas??

Thanks

Just been looking at my Go 500 card and i have 6mb free... the paris maps are 4 mb..

however because i dont have the product code for the GO 500 SD card can i download the PARIS map using my GO 300 Product code and then install it on to my GO 500 card??

Is the paris map the same for the Go 300 and Go 500.. ie same file content and installed into the same folder on the SD card??

Thanks for your help!!
46jimbo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To give you a bit of information, the Plus map on the 500 that you bought off Ebay will be major roads only for Europe. If you have no code for this map, then I wouldn't add anything to the card. I would preserve it in its original state.

When TomTom says that the city maps will be the same as you already have, they are referring to the full detail map of France, which you do NOT have. What you bought gives you full detail of the UK and major roads for the rest.

Looking at the Plus services section of the TomTom site where they sell the city maps, it would seem that you would have to buy quite a few maps in order to cover the city. And it isn't very clear exactly what is covered. Would you be better off buying the France map for 59 Euros? This will give you street-level mapping of the entire country. And then try to sell the Ebay card.
RICKT
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply... i think i will do that...as you say.. theres loads of maps on the TOM TOM site which State Paris...

I think i may sell the Go 500 SD card and then buy the FRANCE map and upgrade it to my GO 300 SD card.

however i will have to get a 256mb SD card and then copy the GO 300 to it as i dont havge enough space at the moment with the 128mb go 300 sd card..

however the last time i tried to copy it (back up) it failed on the "tmccodes" file and it went corrupt... then i have the error "no maps!" so i jsut kept trying to save it to the SD card and then removed the SD card from the reader before it had chance to error.. and got it working again,..

where could i get a copy of a GO 300 tmccodes file??

Thanks
nich
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in France and own a go 700. I have to admit the French maps are a bit unpredictable. They can take you up a road and as your going tell you, you are going the wrong way turn round. It has happened on loads of occasions and not just in the SW where i live.
I am having trouble trusting it at the moment.

nich thewood

www.howittgites.com
46jimbo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rickt: if you buy the downloadable France Plus map, you will need a 512 mb card.

nich: I travelled all around France last September and was pretty impressed by the maps. It really made getting around the Paris suburbs a breeze.
TuurG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: PARIS MAPS... HELP REQUIRED Reply with quote

RICKT wrote:
however because i dont have the product code for the GO 500 SD card can i download the PARIS map using my GO 300 Product code and then install it on to my GO 500 card??

Is the paris map the same for the Go 300 and Go 500.. ie same file content and installed into the same folder on the SD card??

The productcodes are linked to maps, not to devices. Via that productcode you can get an activation code for your device.
Original TomTom SD cards are already activated, but if you make a copy on another SD card, you will need to activate the map.

If you download a map from the TT website, you get a new productcode/activationcode with that.

The maps are the same for all devices. Same folder, same content.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of interest, how do you know that the card from eBay is an original? If the guy hasn't got a product ID and won't refund your money, it stinks of a dodgy copy with a nice sticky label on it.
Unplugged
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 500 maps will be the major routes only if you look at the center of paris you will see all the major ring roads. If you buy the Paris Map and look at it the first thing you will say is f*** me.. the Paris Map is about 10meg and its street level coverage when you look at it it will knock you back Paris is a densly covered map and is is just as good detail wise as London coverge. Pick central London and zoom right into street level then do the same with your GO 500 map and you will see what the difference is.
46jimbo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unplugged, which of the Paris maps did you buy? As you know, there is quite a little list comes up when you ask for Paris on the Plus services webpage. Is it the Paris (Paris) one? Does it include everything inside the Périphérique?
Unplugged
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was the Paris (Paris) one I brought. Version 5.63.

And by the Périphérique If you mean the Motorway that runs all around it yes it does everything inside of that is on the map and quite a wide area outside.

It pretty much covers all Central Paris and a lot of the sourounding suberbs.

Some Pics (Apologies for the poor quality)

Great Britain Plus - Paris

Paris - Paris

At full zoom they look pretty similar its only when you zoom in your see how much is missing.

Great Britain Plus - Paris Street Level

Paris - Paris Street Level

(And you thought London was bad :P)

You will need to escuse the colour scheme on this one but if you look at the shape of the roads you will see their roughtly in the same place on this zoom showing you just how much is missing on the major routes. Its fine for navigating across paris but useless for finding anything in detail we would have never found our hotel without it Smile

Paris - Paris Street Level (Arch Di Triompth)

Another street level map the famous traffic jam where your not insured to drive (all insurance is null as soon as you enter it just close your eyes and put your foot down and hope ;) )

Paris - Full View

You can just about see the Périphérique in Pink showing you the routh coverage of the map so pretty much a large proportion of what people consider Paris is on there except Charles du Gord airport Sad its slightly of the top right of the map but once you hit the boundry its signposted from there and not that far off it (in fact you can get to it using the plus map) Disneyland isnt on there either (shame) but most places not on the map can be got to by finding the nearest motorway to the boundry that takes you to your destination and then swapping maps while on it.
46jimbo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, Unplugged.
RICKT
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

right... thanks for all the info!!!

first of all... if i downloaded the PARIS (PARIS) which seems to have all the info on... i guess i would have to Copy all files onto a bigger SD card.. IE 512mb..

however just to confirm as i don t have the product code for my go 500 SD card, would i need this if i was to install the French maps on it after copying it to bigger SD card?? or would the French PARIS map come with a new code which woud activate it??

If i need the product code for the G0500 can i get one from TOM TOM or have to buy a new map etc...

(in regards to the comment about the card sounding dodgy.. i got the SD CARD sealed and labled correclty with the map manaul.... no code.. but it works fine at the moment!! ..... at the time i just leapt in and got it due to price...live and learn.. )

Thanks to all
46jimbo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I would leave the GO500 card alone. As long as it is untouched, you will not be asked to activate it. However, this also means that you will never be able to install new firmware updates without risk. Have you tried copying everything on to a new SD card and seeing if it boots up without asking for activation?

As for your new Paris map, you could just put it by itself on a new small SD card and swap cards when you arrive in Paris.

A final thought: Some people have said that the TTG sometimes writes a file with the file extension .mac inside the map folder. If you open it with Notebook, it reveals the activation code. You should check and see if this file is there.
RICKT
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah i may put the maps on a small SD card and give it a go...

Im going to make a copy of the 500 onto a 512mb SD card and see what happens.

thanks
RICKT
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have made a back up..

i have downloaded the PARIS maps from TOM TOM... entered all my deatilas etc...

downed the PARIS map.. installed using the installer and installed ok..

I then do a search on the Paris map but i dont think it looks any better - no way as detailed as yours... i have a few white roads but no many??

ideas??

Thanks

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: