Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - What gps for europe?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

What gps for europe?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dairic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: What gps for europe? Reply with quote

Hi,
I am taking the caravan to europe in the summer and i was wondering what is the best unit to get. We are going to france, italy and switzerland and possibly germany.
Thanks.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CoPilot has a mode for RVs - avoid sharp corners etc.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally id go with navman or tomtom for europe i have a few freinds who use navman icns in truck on the continent

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
martike
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you need to decide is which sat nav system is the most suitable one for you in the functions it provides, and then you’ll get those functions whether you’re in Italy or Spain, France or the UK.

I think you’re asking the wrong question. You shouldn’t be concerned about the maps, they’re just data, but instead you should be looking for the right hardware and software to use the maps.
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I like TomTom it does have a tendancy to take you down narrow roads almost unsuitable for cars, nevermind caravans. I wouldn't trust TomTom to navigate me with a caravan.
ROBBINS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used TT5 with HP iPAQ 4700 and TT BTGPS last summer travelling around France and Switzerland and was very pleased with the way it all worked. It directed me to some very difficult to find sites in Nancy, Lyon and Annecy that I had stored as favourites beforehand. But as long as you are aware as Mark said, it did once deviate from a main road to small side and back to main road for no reason. As long as you keep a general eye on where you are going and ignore any strange instructions you will be pleased. The fact that it located the sites first time without any trouble far outweighed the small deviation.

Robbins
StevenGourlay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you one a one large map device then somthing like the GO 700, you can plan a route from anywhere on the map and cross borders without the hassle of swapping cards.
dairic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. Does anybody know what units let you input what vehicle you are in ?
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dairic wrote:
Thanks for the replies. Does anybody know what units let you input what vehicle you are in ?

CoPilot runs on a PDA or Smartphone and it has a "Truck" mode. I think it also lets you set a bias for each type of road (you would want to prefer major roads and avoid minor roads). There are a lot of problems with CoPilot though, wacky routes and buggy software. I am a disgruntled ex-CoPilot 5 user, so I wouldn't buy it again.

Garmin also do a "Truck" mode on certain units too. Check out the Quest2 or StreetPilot range (not the i3, it doesn't come with Europe maps and they cost a fortune to add).

Make sure you are getting full European maps in the price. They are often an expensive add-on to some of the cheaper units.

You need to decide if you want a PDA/Smartphone based system (CoPilot or TomTom) or a dedicated unit like a Garmin. PDA systems are more flexible and you can run other software on the PDA but dedicated units are more plug and play.

Whatever you get, make sure you use "Fastest" or "Quickest" as a routing preference. If you use "Shortest" then it will take you down the lanes and you don't want that!

Good luck!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: