Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - ViaMichelin Version 4.4 Patch due release Wed 8th Feb
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

ViaMichelin Version 4.4 Patch due release Wed 8th Feb
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DenisW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: ViaMichelin Version 4.4 Patch due release Wed 8th Feb Reply with quote

After numerous Emails I have just received the following from Michelin:-

"Dear Sir,

We would like to apologise the delay in answering. The reason for this is that we, as well, are awaiting the update version 4.4 patch to be released.

We expected the patch to be released in the beginning of this week. But programing of a new patch takes time and the making of this particular patch has because of technical reasons taken longer time than we expected. We have now been informed that the patch will be released on the coming Wednesday.

This patch will indeed fix some of the problems you have been refferring to, which is the reason why we haven't given you an answer yet.

Yours faithfully,

- Customer Relations Department -

Wherever you're going, go ViaMichelin.
http://www.ViaMichelin.co.uk "
martike
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

" ... some of the problems " !?!
DenisW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly, thats why I replied to the email asking for confirmation it would resolve all of my issues, if this was not the case I have insisted they supply the return authorisation for a full refund.

I do not expect a software patch to resolve the missing street names and missing post codes.
Parrisi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the wonderful people at viamichelin are having real problems with GB and ireland .I dont know if anybody else has noticed the v4 software for this country has not been available for about a month from the website individually. perhaps a cynic might say they know something they are not telling us. I am sure they are working very hard to fix this intime for version 5 .When I spoke to support about this they said they were out of stock due to high demand ( this was hard to believe) but if i paid with my credit card ,of course knocking off the generous incentive for loyal customers(mugs) they would send a copy as soon as it was available.Due to the high speed at which they answered my emails about v3.2 I assumed this may not happen in the near future so I declined this offer.
I have come to the conclusion they are not worth the effort,its to hard being there customer.
DenisW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again a deadline missed!
No word of the impending issue of the 4.4 Patch.
In the meanwhile all the version 4 users will continue to attempt to use the bug riddled software provided. Angry
BaggieBoy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DenisW wrote:
Once again a deadline missed!
No word of the impending issue of the 4.4 Patch.
In the meanwhile all the version 4 users will continue to attempt to use the bug riddled software provided. Angry

Strange I'm managing to use the so-called "bug riddled software" every day without a problem. What "bugs" are these?
DenisW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs as follows:
Quickinstall does not install (attempted on three seperate PC's)
Post Code Date is incorrect or missing eg LA12 has LA11 data, S11 and other sheffield postcodes missing.
NE28 steet data missing wich was there in Ver 3.2 ie Sydney Grove and all othe streets in that area. These are a few noticed the first day of use there are probably many more.

Program fequently crashes after saving a destination and requires resetting which then looses all recently saved info and settings.

See the link below for further details:
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=33514

Even michelin commented on the impending update it will fix some of the issues I have listed not all.

It would also appear that they have removed the UK edition from their website until they have rectified these issues.

I have yet to discover what must have feature they have added to ver. 4 that ver 3.2 did not achieve.

Speed warning is useless other than on motorways in the uk.
Bypass usually places you in a worst jam than the road you left.
Postcode search is atrocious

Altering the display from day to night or 2D to 3D now involves fiddling around with menus.

As you can see I am less than impressed with this so called upgrade.

How can an upgrade have less street data than the previous version?
metroace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, while I agree that there are faults with V4, I have to agree with Baggie Boy that I also am using it every day without problems. I recently spent a week in deepest, darkest Pembroksehire (an are I have never been to before) and VM4 guided me around without fault all week long.

I agree that there are faults, but they do not make it unusable. I'm aware of some mapping faults. Those will be replicated on other programmes as mapping is produced by just two companies for a variety of software houses. The postcode thing is fairly annoying but not insurmountable with patience. I am hoping that they will improve UK psotcode searching which, of course, is mor complex than most other European countries.

The functionality I want sorted out is the ability to gor from my address book to VM4 using Pocket PC. I have been told that this will be sorted in this patch but, as with all things from VM, I do not intend to hold my breath!
DenisW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst I agree V4 is usable, you are missing the point, so was ver 3.2.
I paid to upgrade to Ver 4 and it does not offer any more than ver 3.2, in fact the mapping data has less detail in the latter version.
metroace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But it gets me around without getting me lost.

I can now add POIs on the fly as I feel the need to.

I can have my POI markers at larger sizes than in the past.

I now get a warning when I go too fast on the motorway.

Bypass has worked OK for me. It all depends I guess on how many other people are also trying to work their way around a jam which therefore makes the workaround routes as busy themselves.

I don't change from day to night display. I don't find the daytime display to be in any way distracting. Likewise, I do not like the 2D view when navigating so do not find myself trying to change to it.

And to come back yet again to the mapping issue, the mapping is supplied by a third party which supplies many of the rival navigation systems so if you feel strongly enough to jump ship to another system, make sure they use another mapping company and check out the other forums to see what those users are moaning about.

I know there are faults, but for me they do not make the system unuseable. Other than the postcode search, it does what it says on the tin for me and I have an understanding of why the postcode search is not so simple in the UK.
DenisW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree the software is usable what I am objecting too is paying for an upgrade that offers no additional benifit.

I do not use the 2D mode so the switching would not be an issue to me if it wasn't for the fact every time the software bombs (most times it is used) it defaults to 2D and I loose all my preferences.

Did you upgrade or buy ver 4 as a first time user?

As a first time user I would have considered the software ok but a bit flaky, but I am not a new user I upgraded(or perhaps downgraded) to ver 4.
metroace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I upgraded from VM V3.2. I am a long time user of technology having started with computing back in 1984 with huge machines in the military. My first experience of navigation software was back in 1989.

If you don't think the upgrade is worth the money, then that is your opinion, but it mostly does what it should (mapping problems aside but as I try to keep reminding readers, these problems will occur in all software that uses the same mapping).

Let's just sit back and see what the patch will achieve - and keep pushing VM to produce the patch. I pushed them last week on the day that it failed to appear and have been told that it is now imminenet (not holding my breath).
petroleumblownaparte
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patch 4.4 was briefly up on the ViaMichelin site yesterday (14th) and it solved one problem I had with address search but QuickInstall still causes an installation error. I commented straightaway to ViaMichelin about this but they have not come back to me.

I’m a new user of ViaMichelin (one week) using version 4.1 Benelux (now 4.4) on a Palm T5 using a Kirrio cradle with built in GPS.
DenisW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ver 4.4 Patch has finaly arrived but only states "This patch corrects the handling of the saved addresses."

So its not going to fix the Quickinstal issues and other problems.

On the plus side it was the Address saving that causes the PDA to crash on a regular basis.
martike
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DenisW wrote:
I agree the software is usable what I am objecting too is paying for an upgrade that offers no additional benifit.

I sympathise with DenisW’s point that when you pay for an upgrade, you’re entitled to expect some improvement, not just something which is “usable” but brings with it a whole new range of bugs, as well as retaining problems from the previous version.

What does version 4 offer that’s really new and can be claimed to be a significant improvement, and was it worth €199 ?

I make this comment from the comfortable position of having gone back to 2.5 because version 3 was such a disaster. Now I see it all being repeated with version 4.

I wonder how long it will be before ViaMichelin support starts to tell us "Your problem will soon be fixed with the release of version 5".

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: