Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - messed up sd help!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

messed up sd help!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
-markie-
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: messed up sd help! Reply with quote

I bought a bigger 256mb card today and got it home so i got my orginal tomtom one sd card and copied all the files to my computer then copied them onto my new sd card. and i got a card with a cross through it.

then i put my orginal one back in and nothing was on it it removed all the files when i put them on my computer so i tried copying back and im getting a X through the card ont he display again.

what have i done wrong?

im on a MAC

thanks
Frazz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is very strange Markie. Sounds like something got corrupted as you copied the files. Most worrying thing is that they got deleted from your original SD card during the original copying process. Not sure how this has happened. Have you tried inserting the original card again and looking in the Trash? If you somehow deleted the files but have not yet emptied the Trash they might still be there. Otherwise I have no idea what's going on. I had not trouble transferring to a bigger card on my Mac, but then I did by restoring a backup I had created of the original card onto the new one Sad

Frazz
-markie-
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey ive sorted my orignal one out now. just this new card i formated it in the wrong format and im not sure how to format into the correct format. think the correct format is

macintosh pc exhange (DOS)

thats what my orginal card is and works fine unsure how to format in this version

any ideas?
Frazz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't format the card that I bought, I just used it as it was. What version of Mac OS are you using? Alternatively have you got access to a digital camera that takes SD cards as reformatting it in the camera should do the trick.
Frazz
glennk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:04 am    Post subject: SD card issues Reply with quote

Don't know if this will help, but I've found the 'One' is very touchy about you updating it's SD card.

I've had loads of problems trying to move to a 1GB card and spent hours getting the dreaded red 'X'.

In the end, and purely by accident I founf the following worked for me...

1) Turn on the 'One' (ignore any error/warnings).

2) Remove any SD card from the slot.

3) Reset the 'One' (using paperclip or similar)

4) When the 'One' indicates it needs a card in the slot, then re-insert your card. The 'One' detects the card, and hopefully starts OK.

This worked for me, whereas if I tried reseting the device while the card was in the slot, it failed. Go figure, maybee its a bootup timing issue and some cards are faster/slower than others.

Regards,

Glenn
rayflan
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may help ? emailed to me from a forum member to put on my site.

Anyway, I have since discovered the best way to back up the TomTom in Mac OS X is to make a disk image of the SD card, as copying the files manually doesn't always work. Below is the procedure, feel free to add it as you see fit to your website

TomTom Backup on Mac Os X (I use 10.4.4 but procedure is essentially the same from 10.0 onwards)

1. Connect your TomTom to your mac with the USB Cable (you could use a card reader but in may not work so well).
2. Go to Applications/Utilities and open the Disk Utility application
3. on the column on the left select your TomTom disk and click the New Image button and choose a place on your hard disk to store it.
4. Set Encryption to None and Image Format to Compressed or Read Only.

that's it. It may take a while to create the image as your mac needs to copy all the data from the SD Card in the TomTom. Once the image is done double click it in the Finder to mount it as a "Disk" and see the files.

TomTom Restore Procedure for Mac OS X

1. Follow Steps 1 and 2 above.
2. Select your TomTom from the list and then click on the Restore Tab in the main window.
3. For Source click the Image button and find your back-up TomTom image.
4. Drag your TomTom device from the list on the left to the Destination.
5. Click the Restore button. You will be warned that you will copy new data to TOMTOM. Click OK
6. Follow further instructions from Disk Utility.

If using the restore function of Disk Utility should fail for some reason mount the image in the finder by double clicking it and copy the files across manually.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: