Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Updating Camera database
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Updating Camera database

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
golf747
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: Updating Camera database Reply with quote

When updating the speed camera database onto my TTG300, the installation is OK and they all show correctly. However each time I update it the selection 'only show POI on route' (or words to that effect) has been turned off for the cameras. So I have to go through and select this option for each camera type. Any way to have this option on all the time and not change when updating the camera database.?
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PocketGPSWorld TomTom GO installation guide wrote:

Step 6. Set up Proximity Alerts (optional)
Change Preferences | Manage (or Maintain) POI | Warn when near POI
Select each POI in turn,
Select the distance for warning
Select the warning sound
Uncheck the "Warn only if POI is on route" box
Repeat until all POIs are set up to warn.

NB. If you check the "Warn only if POI is on route" box, then you will not be warned of POIs that you approach if:
1. The POIs are slightly away from the road.
2. You have no destination and therefore no route planned.

Updating the PocketGPSWorld camera database on your TomTom GO

Sooner or later, the PocketGPSWorld camera database that you currently have loaded on your TomTom GO will be superseded by a later version. We recommend that you always use the latest version.

As always, ensure that you have an up-to-date (and viable) full backup of your TomTom GO’s SD card (or hard drive). Repeat Steps 1 to 4 to copy all of the .OV2 files of the categories and sub-categories of the database to the TomTom GO.

Don’t worry, let the newer versions of the .OV2 files overwrite the existing versions. You do not need to copy the .BMP files of the categories and sub-categories of the database (unless you are adding new categories and sub-categories).

If you have already enabled the categories and sub-categories of the database to display as POIs then the new versions of the .OV2 files will do so as well.

If you have already set up the Proximity Alerts, then these will work with the newer versions of the existing .OV2 files.

Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
golf747
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Many thnks for the super quick reply!
You wrote;
NB. If you check the "Warn only if POI is on route" box, then you will not be warned of POIs that you approach if:
1. The POIs are slightly away from the road.
2. You have no destination and therefore no route planned.

from this I take it that cameras that are on the road you are on will be displyed/warned ? and cameras that are slightly off the road ie further away than the distance selected ie 500yards etc would not be warned. ?

Maybe I am missing something but surely this is the better option otherwise you will get spurious warnings ie whn passing over a motorway.
golf747
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I have had a drive arond passed a camera, and see how the set up works now. The only way to get the camera warnings coming up without a route selected is to have the option 'warn only when on route' off. I see this as a major drawback, I'm sure a lot of people drive without selecting a route and want the camera warnings to come on, with a reasonable amount of notice, but only on the road you are on? If the distance is set to say 100 yards, that stops a lot of the 'false (off road) warnings but is not enough notice, catch 22 ! Can the TTG not be set up differently so you can have the warnings only for the cameras on your road, with say 500 yards notice, but no route selected ?
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi golf747,

Apologies for the abrupt post with just a quote and no other explanation, I was busy at work and couldn’t reply fully.

golf747 wrote:
The only way to get the camera warnings coming up without a route selected is to have the option 'warn only when on route' off. I see this as a major drawback

That’s correct, it is a drawback, many others have commented on this fact. You unfortunately have just two choices: Warn on route checked or unchecked. Most people have Warn on route unchecked.

I have static cameras set to warn at 400 yards and I just ignore warnings for cameras on different roads and for ones that point in the opposite direction.

Hopefully TomTom 6.xx will have a more intelligent or configurable POI detector.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
golf747
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Your reply wasnt abrupt, I appreciate the help i get...

I did the January update today, and the TTG wouldnt restart, just jammed on the splash screen and that was it. Had to do the hard reset to get it to shut down. Only way to get it to reboot was to use the back up SD card I have! Managed to get the PC to read the bad card by rebooting it with the lead to the pc pluged in, then had to delete and reinstall the data, then reload the January database. All seems ok now. Think I will have to get a bigger SD card as it is nearly ful!

Regards
golf747
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One further question, when will version 6 be out ?
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably about May time. Only TT knows for sure.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: