Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Safety Camera Fees - Details
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Safety Camera Fees - Details
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 42, 43, 44  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobStevens
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the "fairness" aspect of the free-membership cutoff: no, it isn't fair, but that's life. There are much more serious examples of this sort of unfairness: like final-salary pension schemes being closed to new employees after a certain date, or watered-down for existing members who have paid for decades. I can see that there was little choice here, as the older members contributed information under a specific set of conditions that no longer applies to new members. So, on this small issue, I'm a "winner" (but, if the policy changes, I'll pay up). Meanwhile, my pension is under attack...
iankb wrote:
While I'm not referring to anybody specifically on this forum, what really annoys me is those 'leechers' who complain about the inaccuracies, but do nothing about correcting them for the benefit of other users. And they're probably the first ones to complain about the database going commercial. Let's face it, if they'd bothered to report the inaccuracies, they would be gettting the database for free, and would have less to complain about.

...Now, this really needed to be said! I have absolutely NO sympathy WHATSOEVER for anyone who complains about having to pay for a database containing inaccuracies that they have known about for months. When I first started using the database, there were three local cameras missing: next month, they were in there.

"Leechers" indeed! My term for them would be less polite.
lohtse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: pocket gps speed camera database Reply with quote

Hi
know this has been probably answered earlier in this post but 29 pages is alot to read through. So will ask for a simple easy answer. Am quite happy to pay for the database but will I have to pay seperately for different databases as I have A navman in my girlfriends car A I3 streetpilot Garmin I use for day today driving and a Medion PNA100 with tomtom for more advanced stuff including Cross country stuff such as walking using memory map. Will I have to pay for multi databases or will it be a single download with all formats??

Secondly how will you deal with illegal copies that will with out doubt make their way onto the net. I don't like the idea of what I have payed for becoming available via Peer2Peer software such as kazaar etc ?

regards
Andrew
tals
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All seems reasonably fair and well thought out - not going through 29 pages of posts though. I suspect i'll be going for the £2 monthly option as and when I want to update my database. I hope you've automated this process it sounds a nightmare!

Good luck.

Taks
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Safety Camera Fees - Details Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
delboy0754 wrote:
Thanks, where do we send in details, or will that come later?

We'll announce this in the early part of Jan in sufficient time to ensure all those eligible are registered prior to the charge commencing.

I've tried to keep up with the notifications and the forum posts on this, sometimes heated, discussion. Have I missed the 'announcement' about submitting details etc.. Have tried to read all the 29 odd pages but must have missed some.
Would someone please point me in the right direction Question Thanks Wink
BunnyBallerina
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iankb wrote:
tgold wrote:
Those leechers are now called customers.

And so they should be, if they intentionally hold back known errors from the rest of the community.

Are you referring to the now "inner circle" of the community?
BoPeep
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingernut777 wrote:
Privateer wrote:

If you sent it via email then you should have a record of it in your email application.

Regards,

Not everybody saves their emails .

What is the proof They have that they sent in a camera location.

You don't need to physically save emails - what Privateer was saying is that if you use an email application such as Microsoft Outlook, or even if you use webmail, your sent emails should all be automatically saved in your 'Sent' mail folder.

I don't know (m)any people who delete their 'Sent' items.

Regards,

Bo Peep.
Ako
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]iankb wrote:
While I'm not referring to anybody specifically on this forum, what really annoys me is those 'leechers' who complain about the inaccuracies, but do nothing about correcting them for the benefit of other users. And they're probably the first ones to complain about the database going commercial. Let's face it, if they'd bothered to report the inaccuracies, they would be gettting the database for free, and would have less to complain about.
Quote:

RobStevens wrote:
...Now, this really needed to be said! I have absolutely NO sympathy WHATSOEVER for anyone who complains about having to pay for a database containing inaccuracies that they have known about for months. When I first started using the database, there were three local cameras missing: next month, they were in there.

"Leechers" indeed! My term for them would be less polite.
Quote:

Maybe we should have a childrens thread so you people (not leechers, whingers, or moaners) can call each other names, and maybe do it more specifically. Frankly I am a little sick of you people (who are all getting lifetime membership no doubt) throwing insults at anyone who disagrees with the pricing schedule. Maybe we could have free debate where everyone is allowed to have an opinion. Maybe also the mod's could do the business and remind people of this (or is there a reason why they are not?). Right!! of you go children, start the insult hurling.

gringo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyway back to my point i pais £5 donation to speed camera when i downloaded it do i still pay £19 to get updates by the way there is a moblie camera {van} A54 bottom of kelsall hill in cheshire its not on database me being thick dont know how to log and send it to you any way about this money Rolling Eyes
gingernut777
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bo Peep wrote:
I don't know (m)any people who delete their 'Sent' items.

Regards,

Bo Peep.

I'll bet if you did a poll, you'de find quite a lot of people don't save them. What about PC's that have needed re-installing, etc. due to viral infections.

The general user of a PC is is unaware of backing up, and looking at some PC forums, are very computer 'Illiterate'
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Darren wrote:
delboy0754 wrote:
Thanks, where do we send in details, or will that come later?

We'll announce this in the early part of Jan in sufficient time to ensure all those eligible are registered prior to the charge commencing.

Could someone who knows tell me if this announcement has been made and where do I send my details to register Question Sorry I have missed it or cannot find it Embarassed
gingernut777
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They did say early January, but it's February now, and still no sign.
RicoBunyon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingernut777 wrote:
I'll bet if you did a poll, you'de find quite a lot of people don't save them. What about PC's that have needed re-installing, etc. due to viral infections.

The general user of a PC is is unaware of backing up, and looking at some PC forums, are very computer 'Illiterate'

People don't need to save them, that's the point. The average PC user is using Outlook, maybe they've installed Thunderbird instead, or perhaps they're using gmail or yahoo. All of these will save emails by default in the Sent or Outbox folder. Nothing needs to be done, they're there already. So your computer illiterates are going to have them anyway.

As for having to do a re-install from a virus, well I guess that happens but don't they have bigger problems to worry about at that stage? Smile
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've sent an email to the cameras@ address, the site will have a copy of it. Also, there are other ways to prove who sent what in, if needs be.
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the forum administrators ...

If you're hoping to get my forum name by match the sender's email address in my contribution with the email address in my profile, you will have a problem. Since I have my own domains, I use a unique address in my profile, but send email with a generic address. The former to detect the source of spam, and the latter because of the inconvenience of changing the account information in Outlook for each new email.

If required, I hope that you will send an email to each sender's address to confirm the user's forum name.

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
Seidio G2500 Amplified Vent Mount
CoPilot 6, GPS Tuner 4.2, Navio 3.01
BMW 330ci Sport
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iankb wrote:
If required, I hope that you will send an email to each sender's address to confirm the user's forum name.

Yes, this is what we intend to do.

Apologies for the delay in responding to how we will be dealing with this. We are in the process of setting up a system which will help with the transition.

We feel that the majority will be easily identified (hopefully!) and, as Tim said, there are other ways to prove who sent what, if needs be.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Page 29 of 44

Jump to: