Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Safety Camera Fees - Details
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Safety Camera Fees - Details
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 42, 43, 44  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Etwell
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

***"what improvements we feel that the fees will be able to fund. If they produce a 99.9% accurate database from month to month by paying staff to work on the job full time"***

I think there is little prospect of anything near 80% let alone higher. Having a paid member of staff will not be able to bring this about because to do that requires the acurate and continuing flow information in the first place.

By charging a fee PGPSW is effectively cutting off that information from all those who were more than happy to help when there was no talk of fees. Only fee payers will contribute in the future and there may not be as many of those as some people suppose.

However this may all be of little relavence as the Government is now committed to reign in the spread of cameras and having some of the more spurious ones removed. In future they will only be at known accident blackspots and not scattered about all over the place as at present.

This might suggest that the present database will not grow by very much and might in fact have to be substantially pruned in order to be 'up to date'.

So what are we being asked to pay our money for? A reduced database by the look of things.
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Etwell wrote:
I think there is little prospect of anything near 80% let alone higher.

I think that you underestimate the number of people who will pay for it, the number of altruistic people who have already contributed and will therefore get it for free, the very large number of new users coming online who don't see any reason not to pay for it, the current level of accuracy, and the government's intention of restricting further growth.

Your thinking is a little wishful.

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
Seidio G2500 Amplified Vent Mount
CoPilot 6, GPS Tuner 4.2, Navio 3.01
BMW 330ci Sport
Ako
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tatsfield wrote:
Quote:
I suppose people like me say what they say because they say it from their perspective.

I guess if someone called you a whinger, from their perspective it would be OK then. Tatsfield, How much money do you reckon PGPSW stand to make by charging for the database? The numbers are in amongst the posts that you never bothered to read.
pip510
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have said it before and I will say it again!
Is £2.00 should a big deal when you think what little way it goes out in the real world blimey if you read all the threads covered on this issue on here I am sure that you would have clocked up that amount on electric bills.
Yes I can see people's point that they have contributed to the site before, well so have I but in the end I want to be able to upload speed cams to my Sat Nav device and will pay the fee as I think it is much better than the consequences of not paying and not getting to know of where a cam is.
I just hope that others are still willing to submit cams as if they dont we all suffer and thats what this forum is about surely being mutually benificial to ALL.

Let's Be Safe Out There
Tatsfield
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ako wrote:
I guess if someone called you a whinger, from their perspective it would be OK then. Tatsfield, How much money do you reckon PGPSW stand to make by charging for the database? The numbers are in amongst the posts that you never bothered to read.

Don't get mired in the insults Ako. Look at the figures from the point of view of subscribers needing the best service possible to protect their irreplacible driving licences and the financial disasters that could come from losing them. How is your posting less insulting than mine?

Let's discuss the real world situation. Free users who were previously supporters will not worry that the likes of me will be paying peanuts for the service. Users like me will be quite happy to report errors. I was happy to support TomTom's dreadful system until I realised that it was beyond their ability to correct it. GPS World have a good track record in maintaining their database and all the people who helped are not encumbered by your worries as they get the service free. The only people complaining are those who feel that £2 a month is beyond their means or those who think that they have a right to get everything free. Isn't it a lot of fuss about very little?

I would like to hear from GPS World what additional resources they now propose they will be able to throw at the project. If these are beneficial, I will not be begrudging the small change they ask of me.
feenix
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to work commitments I've not been to the forum for some time. As a result I've just spent ages reading about the charging model.
Aparently its not likely to affect me as I have contributed in the past.
What strikes me though, is the number of complaints.
This service has been free to most people for longer than you would expect from such a valuable asset.
Intstead of being ungrateful for the fact that we may have to pay in the future, look on it as more of a 'how much you've saved over the free period.
Another point to bear in mind is how the Admin on this site seem to have gone to great lengths to show their gratitude for past involvment in the database and indeed are looking at ways of rewarding future contributors.
I for one, would like to say a huge thank you to all involved.
Andrew83
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do support the charge, afterall it is cheaper than TomTom's charge for such a service and I have been using your database for 6 months now - I have never come across a camera that has not been in the database. However, a friend of mine has the official TomTom database on their version of Navigator - one very useful feature is that the TomTom one tells you the speed limit when warning of a camera. Do Pocketgpsworld have any plans to implement this?
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andrew83,

Andrew83 wrote:
However, a friend of mine has the official TomTom database on their version of Navigator - one very useful feature is that the TomTom one tells you the speed limit when warning of a camera. Do Pocketgpsworld have any plans to implement this?

The PocketGPSWorld camera database has already been available for some time with cameras grouped into speed-zoned categories. Please see here for further information.

There are also PocketGPSWorld Customised POI warning sounds which you can download from here.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Ako
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tatsfield wrote:
Quote:
Don't get mired in the insults Ako. Look at the figures from the point of view of subscribers needing the best service possible to protect their irreplacible driving licences and the financial disasters that could come from losing them. How is your posting less insulting than mine?

Mired in the insults !!!! Easy way around that. Don't write insulting posts calling anyone who disagrees with the charge a whinger. I notice you did not answer my question. I know the numbers so my post was obviously an informed one whereas yours was not. For what it's worth (and I've said this in previous posts you haven't read) I don't mind the charge, it is the amount of the charge that I don't agree with because of the amount that would be brought in by it. If it had been a membership deal from the very beginning there would not have been the amount of negative response that you saw in the 3 pages you read. The original announcement was to charge for the database alone. The membership only came afterwards from the mod's reading the responses.

Tatsfield wrote:
Quote:
I would like to hear from GPS World what additional resources they now propose they will be able to throw at the project. If these are beneficial, I will not be begrudging the small change they ask of me.

These also have been detailed in the responses from Darren. At the end of the day everyone is entitled to an opinion without being called names.
Ako
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew83 wrote:
Quote:
one very useful feature is that the TomTom one tells you the speed limit when warning of a camera. Do Pocketgpsworld have any plans to implement this?

Andrew,

In Copilot6 the speed limit will be anounced if you take out the @ symbol by replacing it with "AT" in the database file (OV2 file). You can do this by using dumpov2.exe, then editing the resulting text file, then re-create the OV2 file with makeov2.exe (both of these downloadable from the Tom Tom web site). Presume it's the same with TomTom.

Dave
cupra
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of you are completely missing the point.
If this was all their own work and they had built it from scratch no one would begrudge them £2/month. The point is, this is something that people contributed to BECAUSE it was free.
If the contact page had said 'Please everyone send all the speed camera updates possible so in 12 months time we can start charging and make ourselves a killing' I don't think as many people would have taken the time and effort to contribute.

The other point is the level of pricing, they are obviously looking to make a big profit from this, again if it was just to cover costs no-one would complain.
COLINRG
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read the first few pages - can't be bothered to read every post.

My own view is that those who are providing this site and providing the camera database are doing a vey good job indeed.

I have contributed to the camera database and may get some free months, but if not what the heck. I'll glady pay the annaul subscription for someone else to do the work in compiling the database in a version for my TomTom. Driving over 50,000 miles a year I need to camera database to alert me of the scamera sites out there. I also have a RoadAngel who's database is no where near as good as the PocketGPS one.

RoadAngel subscription annual = £49.00
PocketGPS subscription annual = £19.00

I know where my money will be going and I'm willing to contribute to the database to make it even better.

A lot of people what something for nowt - well lifes not like that.
You get nowt for nowt these days.

Keep up the good work - my Ipaq and TomTom wouldn't be working if it wasn't for this site.
Aitch2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and so say (most) of us! 8)

Aitch
daveey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: database is flawed Reply with quote

the pocket GPS database is ok if you want a sub standard level of protection, it fails to compete with the accuracy and daily frequency of updates that a professional organisdation such as origin B2 and roadangel supply for £50.00 per year. I have bought a B2 and frequently find omissions / errors on the pocket GPS database compared with the B2.

So be warned a product that is updated only 12 times per year and where persons can gain free subsciption for supplying fake sites is in my opinion totally flawed.

And before you criticise my comments please remember this is my opinion, based on factual comparitive evidence between the origin and pocket GPS world.

Remember the strap line "pocket GPS database turns professional" well its not a professional database just becasuse you have to pay for it
gd2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I intend to pay for the service when it goes subscription but I have two questions.

1) Why is a single contribution before the deadline worth lifetime free subscription yet after the deadline its worth just £2., surely new contributions have just as much value if not more in keeping the database accurate?

2) Why only credit for static cameras, surely mobile ones are just as valuable?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Page 27 of 44

Jump to: