Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPSlim 236 BT ports/data issue
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPSlim 236 BT ports/data issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lskb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: GPSlim 236 BT ports/data issue Reply with quote

Hi All

I have a GPSlim 236 and a windows mobile 5 phone. This combination works successfully with the Holux GPS Viewer software and Co-Pilot 6.

However, I have recently acquired the pocket pc version of the London A to Z map product - which has gps functionality. However, the A to Z program cannot find my 236 - despite scanning all available com ports at all available baud rates (as far as the pocket pc is concerned the Holux is on com 6 - but the A to Z program doesn't find it there, or anywhere else). I should add that I have been trying to make the connection when all other apps are closed on the pocket pc (i.e. co-pilot 6 and gps viewer are not also running).

I confess to being a GPS novice and so this may be a stupid question. I gather from the static navigation issue posts that SIRF Star III is not the same "language" as NMEA. I know that the A to Z program needs NMEA data, so I wonder whether the problem has to do with the 236 transmitting in SIRF and the program being unable to understand the data.

Any help would be greatly appreicated.

Chris

p.s. I have contacted the A to Z technical support people, but they have been unable to solve the issue.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you think it is in SiRF mode why not switch it back to NMEA and try that - the fact it has a SiRF chipset often gets confused with SiRF data protocol the unit will support NMEA, what type of phone is it? if it runs wm2005 or wm2003se you can do the switch using the TomTom GPS driver vs 2,06 , get it from the downloads section of this site. I am not too sure what you can use if its a smart mobile non win OS though. Mike
lskb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.
It is a WM 5 imate k-jam (or, more accurately, a t mobile vario). I have seen various posts about the tom tom driver on the static navigation threads - but how does one install a driver on a pocket pc? And how do you then operate it? And will it upset my co-pilot software?

Sorry if these questions are obvious or covered in another post - I can't immediately see anything relevant.

Chris
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Download the file from here http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=13
Unzip it, then copy the resultant .CAB file to the devices SD card, then using the file explorer on the pocket PC select it and it will install the application to the device, you might get some warnings about "software not verified" and such like just OK through these. Once its on your machine connect to the GPS unit via BT, then fire up the new application, the icon will be in program files and looks like a large sat dish. configure the drop down boxes, then when it is showing position use the dropdown box to select NMEA - Mike
lskb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike - I will give it a go and let you know how I get on.
Chris
lskb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike
I get a no gps on com 1 error. I assume the drop down boxes to which you refer are on the gps tab? I am lost on how to configure them - do I select sirf 38400 or bt sirf? If I do, nothing seems to happen.... The com ports dialogue offers me about three options - but holux is currently set up as an outgoing port on com 6 - and that is not an available choice. Do you think I need to change this?
Any help greatly appreciated.
Chris
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chris, you do need to configure the drop down boxes I usually use NMEA 0183v2 38400 and SiRF 38400, to get it to display slide the control (under the mph check box next to the PDA symbol, if its got zz's on the display its in snooze mode) - to the right. You will also need to select the box top LH this will lock the settings after you have selected the mode you want, you cannot change settings with this enabled anyway.
The Com port is the other problem if its not displaying what you usually use, you might need to configure the GPS icon which is on my unit is in settings/ connections tab, if its not there (visable) then there are other posts on this site as to how to enable it.
Let me know how you get on - Mike
lskb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike
Many thanks for you patience - but I am still getting nowhere.
A number of things:
1. If I use the WM5 gps program (i.e. in "settings", "connections"), I get three tabs - "programs", "hardware" and "access". I assume that I use the "programs" tab. Using that I have set the "GPS program port" to COM 6. I then did a soft reset. This means that when I run the tom tom driver, and select (say) SIRF 38400 in the top box, I do now get a "com 6" choice in the second drop down box. However, in this configuration, the driver won't let me select the big blue box in the top left hand corner! If I change the com port to 9 I can select it (but this doesn't work), if I change it back to com 6 I can't. I confirm that the slider is at its furthest from the pocket pc icon (i.e. red blodges rather than zzzz). Bearing that in mind I tried resetting the com port in the WM5 configuration program to 9, doing a soft reset and turning the tom tom driver over to 9. I can select com 9 but don't get anywhere. I have also tried playing around with the "manage gps automatically" check box in the "access" tab of the WM5 gps program - but this doesn't seem to do anything either. Presumably, there is not point playing with the "hardware" tab settings?

2. If I select NMEA 0183v2 in the top drop down box, the lower drop down box only gives me "ext driver" and no com ports appear.

3. I confirm that all of my tests have been run with no other applications open (checked via the memory manager) - so co-pilot and gps viewer should not be blocking the com port.

4. As mentioned my gpslim appears from the com ports tab in bluetooth settings to be on com 6 with a check in the secure connection box.

I reckon I have tried all permutations and combinations and am still unable to connect!

Kind regards
Chris
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris, check your e-mail, I sent over some screen shots in a word document earlier - Mike
lskb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike
Many thanks for taking the time to do that.
Before I saw your post, I managed to persuade the wife to let me install the tt5 driver on her dell axim x50v (wm 2003) - it works like a charm with the holux and I get to a similar position to those shown in your screen shots. I guess, going back to your original post, I am supposed to establish a connection in sirf 38400 and then go back to the drop down boxes and use the nmea setting to turn nmea on? Anyhow that is what I did. I then closed the bt connection from the axim and tried the program (a to z viewer) on the kjam again - no luck.
Then, having read your posts, I went back to the Kjam. Basically, my wm5 gps settings are as yours, save that I am using com 6 (not 4) on the first tab and had "none" on the second. Anyhow, I changed the hardware tab to mirror your (i.e. com 0 and 33600) and did a soft reset. However, firing up the tom tom driver gives me the same result - if I choose either the sirf 3800 or the nmea 0183v2 38400 driver, I get a choice of com 6 in the second drop down box but the to left hand box will not change to a tick....
I wonder whether co-pilot has installed something on my k-jam which is stopping the tom tom program (and a to z viewer) from connecting on com 6?
Anyhow, still stumped.
Chris
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris, once you have switched the GPS unit back to the mode you require the TT GPS driver 2,06 is not required (unless you want to switch it again) - I suspect the problem is within the GPS applet in the settings/ connection area, once you have established NMEA mode comunication with the GPS unit using your wifes PDA then the other applications should see the data, unless the ports are set incorrectly within the above area. I can't replicate the fault as I don't have A-Z or CP6, but as you can't get the GPS driver to work either on the KJAM then I reckon this is the area to concentrate on - Mike
lskb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, I agree. The implementation of bluetooth in WM5 stinks.
Anyhow, many thanks for your help.
Chris

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: