Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Just got a tom tom one
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Just got a tom tom one

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BONDENO
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: Just got a tom tom one Reply with quote

Hi All

This is my first post in this group.Just got a tom tom one what a great product easy to use and very clear.Dissapointed by the mapping system went local to try it out sent me well out of my way on the fastest route missing a road out all together,then tried to take me down a lane i know is a dirt track Sad
The poi are well out, petrol stations other side of the road and no where near the petrol staion anyway.Eating place in the middle of a council tip thats nice :D
Can i download speed cams for this with audible warnings saying 30 50 etc?
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Just got a tom tom one Reply with quote

BONDENO wrote:

Can i download speed cams for this with audible warnings saying 30 50 etc?

Yes, see the speed camera pages on this site for details.
BONDENO
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got cams on very confused how the audible warings work saying 30 50 70 etc how you do this.Will the cams know what the speed limit is
mossman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The supplied TT POIs are known to be a bit (!) inaccurate. There are plenty of more accurate ones available, for example:

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/oldboy/TomTomPOI/index.html

http://www.tomtomfree.com/
BONDENO
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that :D how many can i put on does anyone know
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to sound difficult to a new member but all your questions have been asked so many times before, (and are all archived here), that you'll find people giving more or less grumpy replies. Please use the search facility first, and then come back with any further questions.

to get you going, you can put on 39 of your own POI categories with an almost unlimited number of entries in each category (although a huge number may slow down your TomTom).
You can replace the inbuilt categories completely with your own data, but it isn't easy, and editing the inbuilt set is supposedly against copyright rules.
And to get the speed cameras to show what the limit is you need to:
a) install the "speed-zoned" set of files - instructions for doing that are all over this forum - doing that will show you the speed limit on screen as you approach.
b) if you want to hear the speed limit, you need to replace a file on the TomTom called data.chk with a custom one - again there are instructions here by the bucketload.

Have a nose round then come back if you're stuck Smile
BillyHey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Just got a tom tom one Reply with quote

BONDENO wrote:
Hi All

Dissapointed by the mapping system went local to try it out sent me well out of my way on the fastest route missing a road out all together,then tried to take me down a lane i know is a dirt track Sad

My biggest bugbear about selling my Navman iCN510 and getting a TT One! Why can't they include a 'weighting' system for routing preferences like the Navman rather than the binary fastest/shortest. My TT insists the fastest route to my work is taking the single track back roads to the motorway rather than sticking to the main road
Frazz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get your TomTom to find alternative shortest/fastest routes, you're not just stuck with the first one's it selects. If you don't like the choice it has made just select 'Find Alternative' and then select how you want the alternative route to be calculated; travel via, avoid part of route, avoid roadblock etc or just 'calculate alternative'. If you select 'calculate alternative' and then 'fastest route' again, it will find another 'fastest route'. Obviously, on occasion the route it selects may not be the fastest one due to local road conditions that the mappers will not be aware of, but I guess the important thing is that, usually, it will get you to your destination by a reasonable route.

Frazz

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: