Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Car Mount for Dell Axim x51
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Car Mount for Dell Axim x51
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scary5
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Car Mount for Dell Axim x51 Reply with quote

I apologise if I have posted this to the wrong forum but I have a Dell Axim x51 with Navigator 5.21 installed and working perfectly. However I am having difficulty in finding a car mount , could anyone recommend a good one. If this is the wrong forum please advise me of the correct one.
Maverickuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Car Mount for Dell Axim x51 Reply with quote

Scary5 wrote:
I apologise if I have posted this to the wrong forum but I have a Dell Axim x51 with Navigator 5.21 installed and working perfectly. However I am having difficulty in finding a car mount , could anyone recommend a good one. If this is the wrong forum please advise me of the correct one.

Hi scary i just ordered one from GPSforless hopefully it will be ok, it looks alot better than most as the dell slides into it rather than the other types which look more universal. It was however 35 quid.

Cheers

Mav
deesoft
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:58 am    Post subject: Car Mounts Reply with quote

Hi
There area number of suppliers 'out there' that supply 'Brodit' car mounts. They are excellent, each one is manufactured for a particular car and for a particular make of PDA.

The 'car bit' is usually called a Proclip' this mate with the cradle which you buy for your PDA. With the proclip, no drilling is required.

Hope this helps

David

God gave us the Integer, the rest was devised by man.
Scary5
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David & Mav, thanks for your help.

I would be interested to hear your views Mav when you receive your slide.

I will explore the Brodit options.

Anyone else any input would be appreciated

George
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Brodit power mount for my Ipaq 6340. It is very good. The Ipaq slides into it and connects automatically - like many good mobile phone car mounts. I have attached it to the car using a mount made by Dashmount rather than Brodit, because that better suited where I wanted to put it on the dash.
ijhill
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: Try a Seido G2500 Mount Reply with quote

I got one for my X50, it has a powered speaker and 5v power port for seperate GPS receivers.

It is great and really audile on motorways

http://www.smartdevicesdirect.com/product_info.php?cPath=37_46&products_id=345

Got mine from the site above.

Ian
Scary5
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian,

Thanks for that I am still considering my options. Do you use the windscreen suction pedestal or what? If so is the windscrren suction very secure?

Dell Axim x51:HTC Touch Diamond: TomTom Wireless GPS MkII: Navigator 6.0130
Maverickuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scary5 wrote:
David & Mav, thanks for your help.

I would be interested to hear your views Mav when you receive your slide.

I will explore the Brodit options.

Anyone else any input would be appreciated

George

Ok received yesterday. Reasonable unit, has quite large suction cup but based on a very short test run appears very sturdy with no wobble.

Slides very nicely around the Axim and comes 3/4 way up the side. Does not obscure view of screen at all. HAs power socket and also another rj11 which i assume is a data connection for GPS mouse. Ive got BT device so dont need it.

Power is provided via normal 12v accessory plug. Has a good length lead which is not elsaticated/coiled some ive seen have this and they can be a pain as they are too short.

Cheers

Mav
Scary5
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mav,

Thanks for your reply. I was particularly interested in your comments regarding the suction cap & stability.

I will probably wait until Feb. before purchasing so if you have any additional comments after using it for a more prolonged period I would be interested in them.

iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

re: the 35 quid ones from gpsforless

I've used one of these for the past 2 years - firstly with an ipaq 2210 and then with the dell x50 (only had to change the connection tab at the base of the mount)

excellent - look cheap but certainly last well and work well.

Ian
Maverickuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iancjc wrote:
re:
excellent - look cheap but certainly last well and work well.

Ian

Yeah i thought it looked alittle cheap but to be honest im quite impressed with it.

Went on a 350 mile round trip today and its solid as a rock and dont move. It doesnt have the goose next type connector which i guess makes it nace and stable.

Cheers

Mav
ijhill
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Seido Reply with quote

Mine came with both the suction cup and grille fix, I use the grille fix as it give more possible locations within the car.

The suction cup has never come loose through the summer and winter and also supports my phone with a www.theclip.com adhesive clip.

The main benefit is the intergral speaker, works over my loud music in the car and make the speed camera warnings audible at all times. Has it's own volume control so you do not have to enter settings to change on the fly.
gamichea
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agonised for ages over a mount for my Axim X51v. I wanted something neat that would power the PDA, and provide amplification, if needed. I really liked the look of the GPSforless custom mount but its not amplified Sad and their amplified one is not a custom fit jobbie and for me is a mess visually.

I also liked the Seidio 4500 but at the time no UK retailer was offering it and $30 shipping from the States was not on. Just think of the costs and hassle of shipping it back if it was a DOA or failed in warranty Rolling Eyes .

In the end I compromised on the latest Arkon amplified mount the DM320. Its not a custom fit job but otherwise meets all my needs and is visually OK. See www.arkon.com. I got mine from www.morpethmobiles.co.uk. Good price (£39.99) & service, free delivery. Long gooseneck included, vent mount extra. The gooseneck is a custom fit for the mount, not a Richter :o .

I slightly eased the shape of a self-adhesive female Richter mount so it sat right down in the space above the gooseneck mount socket and have mated this to Brodit Richter swivel plate adapter which screws to a Pro-clip like any Brodit mount swivel.

This is all working fine and so far I have not needed to use the amplification as I have found the X51v's speaker to be more than adequate in my Audi A6, but I don't have the ICE turned up loud.

If I conclude that I don't need the amplification at all in the A6 I will probably go for a GPSforless custom mount, which IIRC (I asked GPSFL ages ago) will mate to the Pro-clip/Richter setup I have. It has the bonus of an RJ11 socket that will do nicely to charge my BT GPS while in the car.
The Arkon might come in handy in another vehicle

Apologies for the length of this post. Hope it helps. If you have any questions please post them in this thread.
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the arkon dm320.

Gave up as the speaker is very loud but clips all the directions - it looks excellent why the speaker is so hard to drive I do not understand - part of the problem is obviously Janes voice as music played through the speaker is ok but voice directions are a no no.

Axim site's review mentioned the difficult audio setup as well so I wouldn't recommend this if the speaker matters.
Scary5
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks gamichea & iancjc for your input which I found very helpful.

I have found the the volume from the X51 to be more than adequate fro my needs even with the radio on, so will probably go for the GPSforless mount unless any further input on this topic gives me more food for thought.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: